Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass paddle wheel

As Michael and John can confirm, I'm having a few tuning issues with my PP... Basically is having a difficult time holding consistent speed, when loaded.

I am wondering if my paddle wheel might be contributing to the problem. When I installed it, I angled it in very slightly, couple of degrees towards the keel. Can you guys take a look at yours and tell me if it looks like it is pointing parallel to the keel, or inward slightly.

... and before someone asks - it isn't placed behind any strake or water inlet... Innocent.gif

Thanks!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SacRiverRat

• WakeGirl

• jklein

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When I installed it, I angled it in very slightly, couple of degrees towards the keel. 

Troy, that's what the installation instructions tell you to do: "If the sensor is not installed on the centerline of the boat, angle the housing slightly toward the centerline to align it with the waterflow."

There was an issue awhile back with one of these boats not getting clean water for the paddlewheel. Don't remember which boat is was, but seem to remember something about shimming it. Anyway, do a search on WSR and/or contact PP.

Mine was messed up a few years ago and turns out the paddle wheel axle was bent. PP sent me a new one and it worked fine.

I'd say it has never worked perfect, but until I drove Greg's, I didn't realize how bad mine was. With the new ballast, it is much worse - I think due to the boat being on the edge of planing, but it could be something else.

I do have the paddle wheel turned in slight twards the keel like instructed, but if everyone elses is straight ahead, then that is most likely my issue... I need to break it free and straighten it out.

Hey Sac:

I have no clue about the nuances of hull design... However, I added PP WBP to my '00 LSV last year. I ordered it from Mr. PP himself.

He asked me the questions: make, model, year, motor...

I know you said not to ask about strakes, but he sold me a housing desinged to lower the paddle wheel into the current out of any disturbance from the diamond hull strakes...

Pic:

Yea yea... I did install it myself - hence my uncertanty that it is toally correct - not that I'm innept, just that there seems like opportunities to get the paddle wheel pointed the wrong way

I ordered from PP directly, with them knowing the model/year of the boat (yes a 23WLSV) They had specific instructions as to how to avoid turbulance from the strake - but I suspect I may have it turned in a bit too far.. it should be pretty easy to straighten it out, though I'll have to break free the silicon

Thanks for the inputs guys - I'd like to get it working right Dontknow.gif

As Michael and John can confirm, I'm having a few tuning issues with my PP... Basically is having a difficult time holding consistent speed, when loaded. 

I am wondering if my paddle wheel might be contributing to the problem.  When I installed it, I angled it in very slightly, couple of degrees towards the keel.  Can you guys take a look at yours and tell me if it looks like it is pointing parallel to the keel, or inward slightly.

... and before someone asks - it isn't placed behind any strake or water inlet...  Innocent.gif

Thanks!

My PW is slightly off-centre & works fine in the slalom/jump courses.

I had a similar problem with my PP a while back but it turned out to be that the wire coming out of the servo was getting caught up on the engine cover. Are you sure your problem is with the paddle wheel? Best way to tell would be to watch the paddlewheel speed indicated on the dash when it is having trouble to see if thinks it is going the right speed or if the speed indicated is off.

Troy-

Do you have the big brass canoe looking thing that houses the paddle wheel?

My flush mounted one was replace with the canoe thang cuz our hulls wouldn't allow good contact with the water when weighted.

That fixed my problem.

Troy-

Do you have the big brass canoe looking thing that houses the paddle wheel?

My flush mounted one was replace with the canoe thang cuz our hulls wouldn't allow good contact with the water when weighted.

That fixed my problem.

Brad, where did you get the new paddle wheel? I am using the standard flush mount one (just bought it last fall)

The speed readout looks ok, but I suspect that the indicated speed isn't as responsive as what the PP may be sampling.

Troy,

We all know that the best way to find the perfect location is by trial and error. Tease.gif

Here's what you do, cut another hole in a different location and try the paddle wheel there. It's best to try at least 5 locations to get the best read-out. ROFL.gif

Call PP they supplied me with the canoe and new paddle wheel free of charge. They even paid the dealer to do the install.

Fixed my issues as well. Yahoo.gif

I got it from Perfect Pass.

There was a thread on MBO about it last year.

It gave a number to call.

I had the dealer install it since they installed the PP.

good inputs - I think I'll start by realigning the wheel with the centerline of the boat, to see if that fixes it (if everyone says there's points straight, then that is something that I've got different about mine)

If not - I'll contact them to inquire about the deeper version

Troy:

I don't know that much about PP, but shouldn't you first do a test run in "RPM" mode instead of "speed/paddle wheel" mode to see if things improve. That would definitely tell you if there's a paddle wheel issue wouldn't it.

-j

Troy:

I don't know that much about PP, but shouldn't you first do a test run in "RPM" mode instead of "speed/paddle wheel" mode to see if things improve. That would definitely tell you if there's a paddle wheel issue wouldn't it.

-j

That would be one test.. but I suspect that isn't the problem, though would rule out a controller issue. The queer thing about the RPM mode, is PP doesn't really have to do much at all. Just means that it holds a constant RPM, which the boat basically does that on its own.

It was able to hold speed well while surfing - which tells me that it can manage the throttle at certain speeds...

Mine was ok at slow surf speeds and fast slalom speeds but was wacky at 18-22 wakeboard speeds. Until we got it fixed we used rpm mode for wakeboarding. Problem we had with that was when we had 13 people and full on ballast and wedge you couldn't just leggo at da beep - you hadda hammer it for a couple of seconds 1st.

One update- was playing with the boat tonight, and noticed the KDW and NM settings are all back to stock.. huh.. well that itself may be causing the problem..

Seesh - I need to get my boat on the water and play with the settings before I tear into it much

Few days w/o rain would be nice (this weekend I'm going to enjoy everyone elses boats at our kickoff!!)