Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Dexter/UFP Axles on the way (warrantied)

hawaiianstyln

I have some major sagging failing on the starboard side of my 2008 boatmate TA trailer.  Fortunately Dexter/UFP and their awesome customer service has sent me new axles this week after I went through the process of showing them the failures.

Question is, can I powder coat these axles?  They are torsions so they do have that rubber insert technology inside the axle and would worry about the powder oven going over the temp these axles/rubber can handle.  If no, then I will just bed line the axles and i'm going to media blast and repaint the trailer.

I wouldn't PC them for the reason stated. When I replaced my front axle I just cleaned, primed and rattle can painted it. Still looked great after a number of years. I did bed line the leading edges of them and the cross beams so that probably had a lot to do with the longevity of the looks. Storing the trailer indoors helped too I imagine.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, wdr said:

I wouldn't PC them for the reason stated.

I may just rattle can them gloss white before I bolt the new ones on, then bed line the leading faces of them like you did.  I had planned to re-paint this trailer from red to gloss white.  Although that red probably hides a lot of dirt

I used rustoleum "hammered" grey and it has spent a year outside in PNW elements with no rust.  color isn't a perfect match but looks clean and professional.  I just grabbed a leftover can from work so there might have been a closer color option.  The one with the rust is original.  FWIW there's one under there the previous owner replaced and its not painted at all and has no rust and I didn't even notice it wasn't painted until today lol.  +1 for the helpfulness of Dexter/UFP, I couldn't believe when they warrantied a complete axle/hub/brake and a complete hitch on my 6 year old trailer, I'm blown away they are standing behind a 12 year old trailer.

C915A850-744C-40F8-B97B-78BA04EC71B2.jpeg

64EADC2A-DF53-4AF6-8BC2-5CFD871843CC.jpeg

Edited by PNWoke
  • Like 1

warrantied axles on a 2008 showed up on my doorstep Friday.  Wow, i'm very impressed with Dexter's warranty program if they replaced mine on a 2008 Boatmate TA.  I decided to rattle can them for now as I will be re-painting entire trailer this fall.  Getting the cosmoline off was fun.  Had to put acetone in a pump sprayer and soak them down.  Then purple degreaser and a dawn dish soap bath before painting.

IMG_5379.thumb.jpg.cdf86c824676aadb45f18431972306d8.jpgIMG_5382.thumb.jpg.65fdd59eb375ddfd2866483f5c29150b.jpg