Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hull damage from incorrect and non-countersunk bunk bolts

gregtay

Just a heads up that I discovered the other day that my trailer seems to have been built incorrectly at the factory:-/... the bolts holding down the bunks are not fully countersunk and instead of the typical rounded carriage bolt mine are all large hex head bolts.  Needless to say my hull has not enjoyed the ride on top of sharp bolt heads.  I'm working with Malibu to get this fixed (and I am doing my best to refrain from venting my frustration here)... but I did want to post this up just in case someone finds ripped up fiberglass  and cracks on the bottom of your hull where it sits on or travels over your bunks (I found some of my damage while swimming under my boat.)   Might want to check your trailer. The bolts hasn't ripped through the carpet yet but it is pretty obvious what's going on if you feel over the bolts.  My boat was build in April 2019 and I am sure it wasn't the only trailer they used the wrong bolts on.  This wasn't the easiest issue to figure out so hopefully this saves someone else some time trying to figure out how they ripped up their hull.

5 hours ago, gregtay said:

Just a heads up that I discovered the other day that my trailer seems to have been built incorrectly at the factory:-/... the bolts holding down the bunks are not fully countersunk and instead of the typical rounded carriage bolt mine are all large hex head bolts.  Needless to say my hull has not enjoyed the ride on top of sharp bolt heads.  I'm working with Malibu to get this fixed (and I am doing my best to refrain from venting my frustration here)... but I did want to post this up just in case someone finds ripped up fiberglass  and cracks on the bottom of your hull where it sits on or travels over your bunks (I found some of my damage while swimming under my boat.)   Might want to check your trailer. The bolts hasn't ripped through the carpet yet but it is pretty obvious what's going on if you feel over the bolts.  My boat was build in April 2019 and I am sure it wasn't the only trailer they used the wrong bolts on.  This wasn't the easiest issue to figure out so hopefully this saves someone else some time trying to figure out how they ripped up their hull.

That really sucks.  I hope they get it fixed for you. 
Unfortunately there are probably quite a few things that you would not even think about double checking, that need to be.  My dealer had my boat over the winter.  I had some of the common speaker issues that people have had and my dealer was checking on that in the spring before I got my boat back.  They had a hard time replicating the buzzing sound I would occasionally get from my speakers so they went through everything including wires.  They took the wrapping off the lower portion of the tower and found out the bolts on my tower were pretty loose.  I also had some issues with my bimini top and found out there were some really loose bolts holding the slider on.  I guess the moral of the story is, if you see bolts, check them (maybe even check your towers to where they connect to the boat).

3 hours ago, Hemmy said:

That really sucks.  I hope they get it fixed for you. 
Unfortunately there are probably quite a few things that you would not even think about double checking, that need to be.  My dealer had my boat over the winter.  I had some of the common speaker issues that people have had and my dealer was checking on that in the spring before I got my boat back.  They had a hard time replicating the buzzing sound I would occasionally get from my speakers so they went through everything including wires.  They took the wrapping off the lower portion of the tower and found out the bolts on my tower were pretty loose.  I also had some issues with my bimini top and found out there were some really loose bolts holding the slider on.  I guess the moral of the story is, if you see bolts, check them (maybe even check your towers to where they connect to the boat).

Thanks, it will get fixed up and be as good as new.  Just one of those things that was a challenge to figure out, just looking at the trailer it looked fine/normal.