Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help my surf wave

Chase0808

I need some help with my 04 Sunscape 21lsv. 

Right now I have a 750# in each rear locker, shaper on the non surf side, and the manual wedge down. Plus...

The rest is a general guesstimate because the bags came from the previous owner when I bought the boat and don’t say how heavy they are. 

300-350 in the ski locker, 250 in the walkway right at about the windshield, and about 500-600 on top of the bow seats. 

I’m getting a decent size wave but it’s not very clean. Have tried changing the speeds but slower seems to work better. I usually stay at 9.8mph.

Do I need to reduce some of the bow/ center weight and more it towards the rear? Or list the surf side more? All help is appreciated!

I have the same hull and have posted this several times this year.  This is how you do it right if you want a good result.  If you want a lesser wave, do less.

- 1100's in each locker
- Sack under the port seat, approx 300lbs
- Center locker bag (~500lbs)
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs)
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose, another 200 under the bow filler
- 200lbs lead at the back of the boat as needed; mine are stuffed 100 each side next to the hull behind the interior
- Floating Wedge
- Cheap suck gate

All on reversible pumps - zero exposed ballast

6'3" rider (me), no gear, driver only in the boat

Surfing-3.jpg

Hey, I'm nearby; (I just drive south instead of North)

I run my boat pretty lightweight and don't have a wedge.

The big thing I have found this season is to move the shaper farther forward seems to clean up my wave and make it longer. (may try 2 shapers)

My Setup
- MLS (500lbs)
- 750lbs in each rear compartment (reversible pump)
- 500lb in bow (manual fill)

Crew of 3 in the boat helps significantly when i can get it

I'm 6'1" 220lb and surf well on a 5'4" broadcast; I set set speed between 10.6 and 11.4

On the speed;  you'll get more height below 10, but more push and surf-able length above 10

Edited by smileysteve

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I’ll need a lot more weight to make a good surf wave. Even with the bow weighted down, it felt a little sketchy being so low. Felt like I could easily take water over the bow. Maybe that’ll change with more rear weight. 

Nitrousbird, what brand bags did you use for the rear 1100s? I just got my 750s from wakemakers and I love the quality and ease. Sounds like I may need to upgrade though. 

Also, what 300lb bow bag did you use? I’ve seen the 425lb bags but never a 300. I didn’t bother even trying to get one because of the limited space under my bow seats. Didn’t think I’d get more than half full. 

16 hours ago, Chase0808 said:

Nitrousbird, what brand bags did you use for the rear 1100s? I just got my 750s from wakemakers and I love the quality and ease. Sounds like I may need to upgrade though. 

Also, what 300lb bow bag did you use? I’ve seen the 425lb bags but never a 300. I didn’t bother even trying to get one because of the limited space under my bow seats. Didn’t think I’d get more than half full. 

All my bags are Fly High.  I built my ballast system mostly in 2012 and 2013; many of the bag options today were not a thing then.  Then bow bag is the under seat bag...rated for something around 600 but only fills to around 300 due to space constraints.