Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Absolutely lost and confused (2012 VLX 21)

JasonTX73

Let me start by saying that my wife and I have had boats in our lives and been boat owners since we were little.  We have had ski boats, Ranger, inboards, etc. so boating is not new to us.  However, the whole V drive and ballast and surf stuff is like Greek to us.

We got a new to us 2012 VLX that had 230 hours on it and had it out all last weekend.  My son has gone to some wakesurf camps and is fairly proficient at surfing, but we are not proficient at setting up the boat to perform properly.  

INFO:

2012 VLX 21 with 350 monsoon; factory tanks front, center, right and left rear; plug n play bags in rear lockers

Mega wakesurf edge shaper

Most of the time we will be my wife and son and I.  He is 12 and weighs about 80.  Other times we will have more kids or even another family.  

Does anyone have specifics on their setup?  Not interested in adding more lead or weight if at all possible.  I have no idea what size the bags are in the back.  They nearly fill the entire thing when filled.  

Also, what is a good board to start with that would be easiest for a beginner (fat old man like me)?

Edited by JasonTX73
  • 1 month later...

Hey @JasonTX73,

1. Wake shape goes opposite side of surfer (Start towards the stern - move towards bow to adjust)

2. MPH typically 8-12 (I use RPM for surfing)

3. styles of boards - surf style & skim style (Surf is better for learning)

4. fill the ballast 3/4 to get started - add rear weight for hight - add front weight for length

Good luck!

Like my '10 LSV, with that hull, the wave will benefit from some list to the surf side. More weight in the rear is not always better, especially running an external wake shape device. IME, with that kind of a device it was best to have it at or barely below the waterline while at surf speed. I would play with adding some temporary bow weight or some sort to see if you will like the results. I think you will. Speed is merely a reference point to get it dialed in and it will vary with the surfer. My wife likes a lot of wave height for some reason (I don't think she likes to work so hard to surf :biggrin:) so I normally adjust the speed down to @ 10.9 mph for her. I prefer a longer wave so 11.2 is about normal for me. Good luck.