Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission problems?

I have a 92 Malibu Euro F3. It has a Mercruiser 350 carbureted engine. When I am pulling a tube under heavy load when turning the boat it feels like the transmission is slipping. I have checked the trans fluid multiple times and it is on the full indicator line on the dipstick. It has 712 hours. Any thoughts.

5 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

How hard of a turn?

It could be prop cavitation.

It's not that hard of a turn. It doesn't really rev up. It feels like something is slipping in the trans.

It's not that hard of a turn. The engine really doesn't rev up. I had bad bushings in my Rudder and I thought it might be the rudder affecting the prop wash. I fixed the bushings but it did not change the feeling that the tranes was shifting.

Fluid type & color, when was last service, how many hours since serviced?  You could do a fluid swap to see if that helps the issue, use a turkey baster to extract fluid and I recommend hydraulic oil if a Velvet Drive 71C.

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, tvano said:

are you following the transmission fluid check procedure that is in your owners manual?

x2.  Not following this procedure will yield a higher reading on the dipstick.  So the fluid level may actually be low when followed correctly.  

I just changed the fluid in the transmission. It's probably the first time it's been changed in 28 years. I was only able to pull out about a quart and a half. I added a quart and a half or so and checked it following the procedure. They want you to run the engine at 1500 RPMs for about 3 minutes. Shut it off and check it quickly. It looks like it's right up there. I took it out for a ride but I won't be able to tell until I get a tube on the back. I appreciate the help you guys are giving me.

15 hours ago, Gsgumby said:

I just changed the fluid in the transmission. It's probably the first time it's been changed in 28 years. I was only able to pull out about a quart and a half. I added a quart and a half or so and checked it following the procedure. They want you to run the engine at 1500 RPMs for about 3 minutes. Shut it off and check it quickly. It looks like it's right up there. I took it out for a ride but I won't be able to tell until I get a tube on the back. I appreciate the help you guys are giving me.

If this is the first time it has been changed, it may be a good idea to change it a few times to get as much of the old fluid out as possible.  As you said, you can only get about 75% out when you change it, so the remaining 25% is still the old fluid.  Run it a bit first though, to circulate and mix the new fluid with the old. 

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
On 8/5/2020 at 1:23 PM, Gsgumby said:

Just changed it again. Love those small brass suction pumps. Pretty quick. Should be pulling tubers tonight. Let you know.

and the verdict is?

I was just up to Bear Lake Utah and had this same problem show up while pulling a heavy tube.

Last time I had a similar feeling, it was a kill switch malfunction. My friend swore it was a trans slip, but I didn't think so. The kill switch would briefly disconnect and reconnect on take offs.