Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A rough couple of weeks with the boat

shawndoggy

1 hour ago, MLBurns said:

I have wondered many times when someone is going to make a towable cover with padding for the windshield area.

One of many such options.  https://shop.outdoorsupplyonline.com/Truxedo-boat-windshield-cover-p/1117432.htm  Frankly, that worries me enough that at any speed  or distance I through the cover on.  Easy to fix a rock chip in the fiberglass; replace a 99 windshield? Not so much.

3 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I just noticed the Rock Tamers on the truck. Is it too late to send those back? 

No rock in the boat, no impact crater.  The missing glass in the pic had fallen, nearly intact, on the dash and floor. 

There were some steel plates on the road where some construction was ongoing, and I suspect that rolling over them at about 35 with one side of the trailer somehow cause the boat to flex enough to shatter the window (these were the kind of plates you wouldn't hesitate to take at 80 in a rental sentra).  I don't want to say its impossible, but the likelihood that my truck could've thrown a rock which got to the boat's windshield seems very unlikely.  It would have to be a bank shot.

4 hours ago, Stevo said:

the windshield thing concerns me as depending on which way the wind blows my windshield gap and alignment change. I’m concerned a good jolt from those quality California freeways could flex and pinch the glass and I’d be in the same boat..

That's my working theory at the moment.

Haha I think your boat will raise the water level at boca by 2'!  Have fun up there.  Weather's cooperating if nothing else.  

Up here I swear they use 3/4 minus on the roads.  And if your car winshield lasts a year, you are doing great.  We picked a silver dollar  size bulls-eye the other day from who knows what in passing traffic.  I suspect you took a rock since there is an apparent impact point.  Sucks no matter waht.

I started out with $2800 in exhaust, starter and ecu repairs but since then it’s been just awesome, really reliable!  There’s light at the end of the tunnel!  I found out the bad luck passed over to my trailer though! I leave my boat in the water most of the summer and hadn’t checked on the trailer all summer.  Pulled it out of the water to clean and take on a quick trip out of town. Just before I left I decided to check the tires, only 1 out of 5 (w spare) was even close to “road worthy.”  🤦🏼‍♂️  I quickly found out that my trailer that came with really nifty 18” wheels and 45 series tires, was basically impossible to find any in stock tires for anywhere within 5 hours of me.  It’s pretty embarrassing to have to call off a trip with friends cuz your $80k boat can’t travel because of $600 worth of tires.  Good medicine though I guess!

On 8/2/2020 at 2:35 PM, IXFE said:

I have ridden my Soulcraft maybe three times over the past two seasons. The rest is ALL Matrix. I’m actually thinking about selling the Soulcraft. Nobody rides it anymore. The whole family has made the move to the Matrix. I’m about to add a smaller one for my daughter. 

Which Soulcraft do you have and what size? I may be intersted.

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been on a streak of bad luck. 

Boat had missfire codes a few weeks ago, replaced plugs no big deal thankfully. 

Ran over more ropes in the last two days than I have in my life. Except the one today had a chain attached to it and was completely below the surface, wrapping around the prop bending one of the blades.  Just the slightest bend so going to bend it back tonight and see if the vibration goes away before getting it fixed. 

Put a ding in one of my demo kanuk boards that was going to be sold by filling the rear pnps with the board in the locker... my bad...

At the public dock today there were some huge rollers when I came into the dock. The boat in front of my was rocking pretty bad and got super close to mine, but managed to catch it in time. The boat is a rental and the renter came down saying that I dinged up the front of his boat cuz he saw it bouncing right in front of mine and took pictures of my reg numbers. There are scratches all over the thing and particularly from loading the trailer, not super worried just like really bro. 

Oh and one of the trailer tires isn’t holding air to top it all off...

Don’t even get me started on my car going dead on the highway. 

Sorry for the rant:innocent:

• Sad 2

Sorry for the run of bad luck, @shawndoggy. FWIW, that’s a great looking T22. And it’ll all work out for you, so don’t give in to the negative energy. This too shall pass.
Another FWIW, since I joined this forum (and just prior to that and based on your responses to my posts on a different forum), I’ve always appreciated your input. And quite honestly, you were a huge reason why we chose our Axis over a Moomba Craz. It would have been tricky to fit the Moomba into our garage with that unnecessarily high tower (when down)  but your feedback on Axis was a clincher for me and we wouldn’t have our A22 without that feedback, quite honestly. I also quickly switched to an ACME 2279 because of your input on various posts and that was a great change for us and fits our needs much better than the 2249 our boat came with. Anyways, don’t give up on your love for all things boats and water sports, we are all better when you’re closely involved in this world. Good luck with the trailer repair and windshield. 

• Like 3
On 8/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, IXFE said:

I have ridden my Soulcraft maybe three times over the past two seasons. The rest is ALL Matrix. I’m actually thinking about selling the Soulcraft. Nobody rides it anymore. The whole family has made the move to the Matrix. I’m about to add a smaller one for my daughter. 

I know a buyer

Get out of here @Chappy.  I got dibs

Nevermind.  I forgot I have no lake

Edited by bamaboy

I have a 56” SoulCraft HC Pro that I have been considering selling as well.  Same as IXFE - it just isn’t getting time behind the boat.  PM me if interested and I can send pics.

On 8/2/2020 at 8:46 AM, shawndoggy said:

Two weeks ago I flatted in the truck on interstate 80 while towing home from the lake.  This is also when I learned that I didn't have all of the necessary jack parts in my used truck and had to cry uncle and call roadside assistance.

Then two days later, flatted in on the trailer on the way home from the lake.

Then yesterday I didn't even make it to the lake before this happened...

My love of time on the water has been sorely tested recently.  I'm just hoping that all of that superstitious nonsense about bad things coming in 3s is accurate!

Sorry that happened to you @shawndoggy. I hope you don't lose hope as you have helped a lot of us around here with everything boat related, myself very much included.

I had two blowouts this year too, now have the right jacks in the boat whenever I tow. Also my trailer came with the wrong size spare so it was great fun towing on a single axle for 200 miles.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, IXFE said:

Don’t make this thread isn’t about new boat vs old boat reliability. It’s about time away from the water for any reason...

your old boat has trailer tires, a windshield, and fuel pump. Same as the new ones. Pretty sure any of the above mentioned items could happen to your boat too. 

I think in a lot of cases the old boats went through this many years ago. Gremlins tend to happen up front and get fixed up. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

I think in a lot of cases the old boats went through this many years ago. Gremlins tend to happen up front and get fixed up. 

Trailers tend to get ignored a bit tho IMHO.  Hubs and brakes need maintenance too.  I'm as guilty as any about ignoring those things (it's still a "new" boat, right?)

Hey shawndoggy things will work out in the end.  I have had some rough times in the past and this year, too.  Try not to let it get you down.  It all evens out in the end.  Besides, what's a couple of tires and a windshield in the grand scheme of it all???  Just a couple of minor annoyances...

Like others here, I have read your posts here and other places and used your input to make informed decisions.  Thanks for all of the insight you have provided over the last few years that I've owned my boat.

Sounds like a rough year. 

I also have a Ranger fishing boat. All the fishing boat forums talk regularly about the danger of windshield breakage while towing. I’m surprised that it is so rare to see posts like that here (or on other boating sites). 

I understand you believe that it was flex. Certainly a possibility. But I will continue to use stories like this as justification to tow cover on with my Malibu, and with either cover or Truxedo on my Ranger. 

However your boat was damaged, I hope it gets fixed quickly and you get back on the water. Season is too short. 

• 2 weeks later...

@shawndoggy

109 degrees (Fahrenheit for the technical crew members) today on the last part of a six hour tow down I-30.  I thought the brakes were acting up, really didn’t Click. Made it to my driveway where the tire went flat from the broken rim.  

588AEEE3-FD75-409A-99BD-35D25B1D8AD2.jpeg

145A1014-3D5F-4497-B5CC-B6A676FA0C97.jpeg

EE569BD7-FD86-4117-AEF5-D323C3704961.jpeg

E8FE4EA2-4F01-43EF-A976-141564BDAA63.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Man what a run of bad luck!  Sorry to see it.  I am finally getting out...I am tired of doing all the maintenance and upkeep by myself although the family still enjoys it, the burden falls entirely on me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
On 8/14/2020 at 6:07 PM, Bozboat said:

@shawndoggy

109 degrees (Fahrenheit for the technical crew members) today on the last part of a six hour tow down I-30.  I thought the brakes were acting up, really didn’t Click. Made it to my driveway where the tire went flat from the broken rim.  

588AEEE3-FD75-409A-99BD-35D25B1D8AD2.jpeg

145A1014-3D5F-4497-B5CC-B6A676FA0C97.jpeg

EE569BD7-FD86-4117-AEF5-D323C3704961.jpeg

E8FE4EA2-4F01-43EF-A976-141564BDAA63.jpeg

I had a caliper lock up last week and get hot.  I caught it before it damaged the wheel or the rotor.  

Haven't been able to find a replacement locally, so I have reverted to rebuilding the existing caliper.  Brake cylinders are so cheap I have always just replaced them.  This will be a first.....

9 minutes ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

Man what a run of bad luck!  Sorry to see it.  I am finally getting out...I am tired of doing all the maintenance and upkeep by myself although the family still enjoys it, the burden falls entirely on me.

Yeah, I hear you LBJ.  Been riding my bike so much more this year (thanks covid!) that I'm actually looking forward to NOT being on the water on the weekends so I can go do some long rides.  I think that that may be the sign.  Kids will have fully (I hope!) flown the coop by next summer so we're down to putting together olds folks' crews, which also isn't as fun.  We've had a fantastic run with boating and I'm going to look back fondly on it when it's over.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:50 PM, shawndoggy said:

I've also had the feeling lately that I'm chasing that old feeling and it's just not there. 

Might be time to re-calibrate what fun on the boat is. However, if you are truly bummed out by it, put the boat up for the winter now. Don't get to the point of cranky. Based on how much you once loved her, my guess is that the absence will make your heart grow fonder. Especially next year when some of the COVIDiots are back off the water. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BigCreek said:

Might be time to re-calibrate what fun on the boat is. However, if you are truly bummed out by it, put the boat up for the winter now. Don't get to the point of cranky. Based on how much you once loved her, my guess is that the absence will make your heart grow fonder. Especially next year when some of the COVIDiots are back off the water. 

Good idea!  We were already talking about adjusting use patterns a bit for next year.  Maybe just do a couple of bigger trips but not feel obligated to get out every single weekend.

• Like 1

I don't have a boat right now for the first time in years, and thought I'd be hating it but it's actually been quite a nice change, for the time being. Gone is the stress of getting to the water every chance I can get and then having to work around what the rest of the family wants to do. Weekends feel more relaxed too.

While I haven't been on the water as much as I'd like, I've still been able to get out on a number of friends' boats. Checking out a lot of different makes and setups has been fun, and I end up driving a lot less this year. Last session was on a 2020 21 VLX and tomorrow morning is a 2019 MB B52, both of which I've never been on before.

I'm also not missing the crazy rush for the water on the weekends. Here's a pic of our ramp a friend took last Saturday mid-morning. If you're not local, just know the launch is a long way from this lineup.

IMG_7707.thumb.JPG.6f4a29a9e9360cbc6dbf1439785a69bb.JPG