Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gearbox drive not engaging.

Please Please help. 
I have a 2010 VLX Wakesetter. Yesti I was on the dam and as I was cruising along at 18 mph the boat just jumped into neutral. 
It’s fly by wire. When I put into fwd or rev the gearbox doesn’t engage, and the motor just revs. 

any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

is it the hand throttle body or the solenoid on the gearbox? Hopefully not internal gearbox problem. 

I don't really know if this applies to your model, but those with later models and the Livorsi throttle have reported a failed diode on the throttle board.  If you check your fuses and relays and still can't fix the problem, consider removing the throttle and inspecting for a burned part.  It will appear as an obvious browning of the white potting just over the diode.

@SteveB posted a great photo sequence of his:

• @justgary
  • thanks for the suggestion. I did see that post, however it is from a newer boat than mine, and it sounds like the Lovorsi throttle is a replacement for mine when it fails, and it doesn't sound like a good replacement.

I have had further developments, since the original post I have tried to override the electronic shifting solenoid on the side of the gearbox, by manually winding in the pin in the solenoid, however the gearbox still does not engage, but it'd be great to know how to double check this and the solenoid.