Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Replacement.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

I just picked up a 2021 axis t22 with m5di engine. Looking to see if I can find information on exact impeller + oil filters that I can buy to do the replacements myself. Can anyone direct me to the right place that has this information?

On 8/9/2020 at 11:19 AM, agarabaghi said:

This might be worthy of a sticky....

I think this list will be super helpful for those who are looking to buy replacements:

Here are all the options I have found with my experience:

Sherwood 15000k - Only failure I have had was with a OEM impeller replaced at dealer (bad stock?)

https://www.bakesonline.com/impeller-service-kit-sherwood-15000k-neoprene-impeller.html

Bakes marine V2 version - No experience

https://www.bakesonline.com/malibu-m5-and-m6-engine-water-pump-impeller-kit.html

Globe 626 - Advertised as run dry, used a different kind of rubber than other 2

https://marinepartssource.com/impeller-blue-keyway-12-blade-globe-626

JMP Wax Infused 7352-01k - One of the few brands that does not use off the shelf rubber mix, they make their own composite with WAX infusion. Will be running this next.

https://bigblueoceanmarine.com/7352-01k-jmp-marine-flexible-impeller-kit-replaces-jabsco-18327-0001-sherwood-15000-15000k-cummins-3916720-mercruiser-47-853126/

StayCoolPump 15000k replacement - Regular replacement impeller, i have this currently in my m5 with 40hours no issues.

https://www.staycoolpumps.com/store/p54/Impeller_Kit_Replaces_Sherwood_15000K_Jabsco_18327-0001-P.html

Thanks for the above. Will these work for 2021 axis boats as well? I did hear the 2021 line had some impeller issues so they needed to be replaced, but not sure exactly what the issue was/what the replacement parts were

On 6/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, wakeywake said:

Hi,

I just picked up a 2021 axis t22 with m5di engine. Looking to see if I can find information on exact impeller + oil filters that I can buy to do the replacements myself. Can anyone direct me to the right place that has this information?

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the impeller has changed on the 2021 M6? Mine had the factory recall done on it at 20 hours. Would like to order a couple replacements to have on hand. Also is the recommended change really every 50 hours? At that I will be changing it twice a month. 

2 minutes ago, alcoprop said:

Does anyone know if the impeller has changed on the 2021 M6? Mine had the factory recall done on it at 20 hours. Would like to order a couple replacements to have on hand. Also is the recommended change really every 50 hours? At that I will be changing it twice a month. 

Yes they changed the impeller.  My dealer told me that they changed to the Johnson 812-B.  Yes Malibu is now recommending impeller changes every 50 hours.  How do you put 100 hours a month on your boat?  Ski school/wakeboard boat?

https://www.bakesonline.com/johnson-09-812b-1-impeller-service-kit-1-1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIls3mhPH08QIVJhCzAB3yfQ8cEAQYASABEgJxlfD_BwE

1 hour ago, dwc032 said:

Yes they changed the impeller.  My dealer told me that they changed to the Johnson 812-B.  Yes Malibu is now recommending impeller changes every 50 hours.  How do you put 100 hours a month on your boat?  Ski school/wakeboard boat?

https://www.bakesonline.com/johnson-09-812b-1-impeller-service-kit-1-1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIls3mhPH08QIVJhCzAB3yfQ8cEAQYASABEgJxlfD_BwE

We are full time at the lake in the summer so pretty much on the boat everyday. 

Just an FYI on the M5 M6 engines, all engines manufactured before October 2020 will have the Sherwood impeller.  And will have a service bulletin to replace it with the Johnson impeller the part number for that impeller is E100037-HK.  Some of the Johnson water pumps are having an issue with the brass tabs inside of the housing that are not flush and are shredding the impellers.  In that case Malibu will replace it with the Johnson pump regardless of how many hours are on your boat.  Same goes with the bulletin.  

ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Joseph2222 said:

Just an FYI on the M5 M6 engines, all engines manufactured before October 2020 will have the Sherwood impeller.  And will have a service bulletin to replace it with the Johnson impeller the part number for that impeller is E100037-HK.  Some of the Johnson water pumps are having an issue with the brass tabs inside of the housing that are not flush and are shredding the impellers.  In that case Malibu will replace it with the Johnson pump regardless of how many hours are on your boat.  Same goes with the bulletin.  

Some of the Sherwood water pumps have issues with the brass tabs. 

Also? The replacement Johnson impellers does the Sherwood pump seem to be in shorter supply than the pump and standard Johnson impeller so some are getting the pump anyway. I know my dealer was replacing the pumps earlier this year when I had mine done. 

@ndahlberg12, yes that’s the best method. You might just have to pull the cover and the Johnson pump takes and impeller that has the part number on the housing. Sherwood does not. I’m sure there are differences on the housing but you’ll be certain if you look at the impeller. 

@alcoprop if I were you I’d inspect the impeller every 50 hours to see how it is wearing. If all looks good I’d continue to run it and probably change every 100. Although, they are about $33 on Amazon so it is cheap insurance. For sure carry a spare and the tools needed to change it out on the boat though. 

• Like 1

For those with the new Johnson pump has everyone been ordering the Johnson 09-812b impeller or using the new malibu branded impeller? I know @IXFE had one that came direct from Malibu that had a threaded end on it to help in removal, but I cannot find his post with the PN.

ahopkins22LSV
46 minutes ago, ndahlberg12 said:

For those with the new Johnson pump has everyone been ordering the Johnson 09-812b impeller or using the new malibu branded impeller? I know @IXFE had one that came direct from Malibu that had a threaded end on it to help in removal, but I cannot find his post with the PN.

I ordered one from Amazon. Haven’t used it yet but it’s the same box as the ones my dealer has in their service area. 

4 hours ago, ndahlberg12 said:

I just hit 100 hours on my 812 impeller.  I inspected it at 50 hours back in June and it looked perfect and I looked at it yesterday and it still looked perfect.  I have a week long lake trip starting next week.  I am not going to change the impeller, I will run the one that's in it and change it after.  My dealer said to only use the 812 impeller.    

• Like 2

Is the Johnson 812 impeller the correct replacement for the Malibu part # E100225? I just called my dealer and they said I have the new Johnson pump and that is the part number I need but I have to get it from a dealer bc if you order the Johnson replacement you won’t get the O-ring. Looks like an O-ring is pictured on the 812 though. Can anyone confirm before I order from Amazon.

Edited by alcoprop
1 hour ago, alcoprop said:

Is the Johnson 812 impeller the correct replacement for the Malibu part # E100225? I just called my dealer and they said I have the new Johnson pump and that is the part number I need but I have to get it from a dealer bc if you order the Johnson replacement you won’t get the O-ring. Looks like an O-ring is pictured on the 812 though. Can anyone confirm before I order from Amazon.

I just ordered a spare 812 impeller from Amazon and received it Saturday. It came with a gasket and 2 o rings. I only ordered it to have as an emergency back up for our week long trip coming up so I have not verified that the o rings are correct. 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, ndahlberg12 said:

I just ordered a spare 812 impeller from Amazon and received it Saturday. It came with a gasket and 2 o rings. I only ordered it to have as an emergency back up for our week long trip coming up so I have not verified that the o rings are correct. 

I should has said I have not verified the orings are correct either as it is in my boat as a backup too.

24 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I should has said I have no verified the orings are correct either as it is in my boat as a backup too.

I’ve requested the Malibu impeller and puller from my dealer but that is proving difficult. 

Opened up the cover on the impeller to inspect and change if needed. The impeller I have in the boat has the key slot and the new Johnson that I received does not. Do I not have the new Johnson pump? Called the dealer and they assured me that I do have the new Johnson pump.  Boat is 2021 MXZ. Impeller looks fine to me so I don’t want to pull it out if I don’t have the correct impeller. 

389A58D0-C0A6-459B-9C5B-83FE3685D818.jpeg

7ED8CFB7-C5D0-4D14-8828-6B41748CFF3B.jpeg

31 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

That is the Sherwood pump. There is a Johnson impeller available for the Sherwood pump now. Maybe that is what your dealer means. 

Do you know what part# I would need? 

ahopkins22LSV
On 7/29/2021 at 8:29 AM, 23LSVOwner said:

The new Johnson impeller for the Sherwood pump is E100037-HK. There is stock now.

1 hour ago, alcoprop said:

Do you know what part# I would need?