Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5/M6 Impeller Replacement.

On 8/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, alcoprop said:

Opened up the cover on the impeller to inspect and change if needed. The impeller I have in the boat has the key slot and the new Johnson that I received does not. Do I not have the new Johnson pump? Called the dealer and they assured me that I do have the new Johnson pump.  Boat is 2021 MXZ. Impeller looks fine to me so I don’t want to pull it out if I don’t have the correct impeller. 

389A58D0-C0A6-459B-9C5B-83FE3685D818.jpeg

7ED8CFB7-C5D0-4D14-8828-6B41748CFF3B.jpeg

Your dealer is correct, you do have the new Johnson pump. The Sherwood pump uses a key slotted impeller, whereas, you have a splined impeller which indicates your boat has the Johnson pump. Midway through 2021 Malibu switched from the Sherwood pump to the Johnson pump. So, depending on which month your boat was manufactured, determines which pump your boat has.

For those of you that have the Sherwood pump, the new Johnson impeller is Johnson 09-707B-1 (link below)

https://www.bakesonline.com/johnson-09-707b-1-malibu-sherwood-impeller-service-kit.html

Edited by Justagirl
3 hours ago, Justagirl said:

Your dealer is correct, you do have the new Johnson pump. The Sherwood pump uses a key slotted impeller, whereas, you have a splined impeller which indicates your boat has the Johnson pump. Midway through 2021 Malibu switched from the Sherwood pump to the Johnson pump. So, depending on which month your boat was manufactured, determines which pump your boat has.

For those of you that have the Sherwood pump, the new Johnson impeller is Johnson 09-707B-1 (link below)

https://www.bakesonline.com/johnson-09-707b-1-malibu-sherwood-impeller-service-kit.html

The impeller in my boat was the keyed one. The picture of the impeller that I am holding is the one they said was in my boat bc I have the new Johnson pump. Which was not true I still have the Sherwood pump as it is keyed. 

• 4 months later...
28 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

Which pump do I have?

89A4C819-98AF-4DEF-B66B-BB25FCABEF2E.jpeg

I had a very difficult time determining what I had on my A22. I ended up having to pull the cover and getting the PN off of the impeller.

ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, shawndoggy said:

Which pump do I have?

89A4C819-98AF-4DEF-B66B-BB25FCABEF2E.jpeg

1 hour ago, ndahlberg12 said:

I had a very difficult time determining what I had on my A22. I ended up having to pull the cover and getting the PN off of the impeller.

Really the only way to know unless it isn't painted, meaning it was replaced afterwards. With yours being a 2021, I'd guess it is the Johnson, but pulling the cover is the best way.

ahopkins22LSV
17 minutes ago, shawndoggy said:

boat was built in feb 2021, which would also suggest Johnson, right?

Yes, if I remember correctly… can you pop those four screws off and take a look to verify my memory? ;)

Without removing the impeller cover you can identify the Johnson pump by the very tall ridges on the pump housing that go from the pulley end toward the impeller end.  The Sherwood pump housing is very smooth in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, csleaver said:

Without removing the impeller cover you can identify the Johnson pump by the very tall ridges on the pump housing that go from the pulley end toward the impeller end.  The Sherwood pump housing is very smooth in comparison.

It's sorta hard to see in my pic, but my pump definitely has the ridges.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

So for anyone that has had the new pump installed and using new Johnson impeller, does it last longer than the original pump and impeller that came on the 2021 Response?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 9:09 AM, Deacon said:

So for anyone that has had the new pump installed and using new Johnson impeller, does it last longer than the original pump and impeller that came on the 2021 Response?

I cant tell you if they last longer, my old Johnson impeller and pump was switched out at 100 hours.  New impeller has over 100 hours on it.  I also have the new Johnson pump.  I have a 3 day trip planned this weekend and I will inspect it tonight or tomorrow.  If it looks good, I will keep running it. It just doesn't make sense to change an impeller every 50 hours, like the manual states.  I will run mine to 150 or so hours and then change.   

From another thread asking about 2022 impellers, I posted the below info to help summarize things and it is certainly relevant to this thread.

Just to summarize from all the info out there. 

For those with a 2019 (not sure why Bakes says 2018 as I don't think the M series shipped in any MY 2018 boats) through mid-year 2021 you may have 1 of 3 pump combos.  

• A Sherwood pump that uses a Sherwood 1500K Impeller, which is the most likely to fail combo and is what was originally shipping in the M series motors.  
  • A Sherwood pump with a Johnson impeller which they made specific for the Sherwood pump.  This should be the 07-707B-1 Johnson Malibu Sherwood Service Kit referenced from Bakes.  
  • A Johnson pump with a Johnson impeller with a "splined" shaft.  The Johnson 0912B impeller that has been used for years should be for this application.   

Late 2021 and 2022 builds have the Johnson pump and 09112B impeller. 

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV

The only disclaimer to that is some 2020 and 2021, if not many had their Sherwood pump replaced with a Johnson pump. If that is the case the pump is most likely raw brass and not painted - like shown. 

F333B2F3-FD5B-4178-8199-3A373840B1EE.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 7:25 PM, hethj7 said:

From another thread asking about 2022 impellers, I posted the below info to help summarize things and it is certainly relevant to this thread.

Just to summarize from all the info out there. 

For those with a 2019 (not sure why Bakes says 2018 as I don't think the M series shipped in any MY 2018 boats) through mid-year 2021 you may have 1 of 3 pump combos.  

• A Sherwood pump that uses a Sherwood 1500K Impeller, which is the most likely to fail combo and is what was originally shipping in the M series motors.  
  • A Sherwood pump with a Johnson impeller which they made specific for the Sherwood pump.  This should be the 07-707B-1 Johnson Malibu Sherwood Service Kit referenced from Bakes.  
  • A Johnson pump with a Johnson impeller with a "splined" shaft.  The Johnson 0912B impeller that has been used for years should be for this application.   

Late 2021 and 2022 builds have the Johnson pump and 09112B impeller. 

I am running a 2022 m6Di motor and trying to confirm the correct impeller needed.  

I'm struggling to find anywhere online the 09112B impeller.  I've sent requests to Bakes to confirm if they have this model or one that can be confirmed for my make/model. 

Does anyone have a link to the correct impeller for this make/model or the 09112B impeller referenced?    

9 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

Johnson Pump - 3001.3621 09-812B-1 F6 Impeller - MC97 https://a.co/d/016mOQZ

So Malibu has come full circle back to the impellers I used in my 2018s 410 Raptor??  I gave my spares away as I thought this boat used something new.

So what is a E100037 Johnson Impeller for the Sherwood pump installed on my 2020 M6?

That reference E100037 number is nowhere to be found on a Google search.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2022 at 9:10 PM, dlb said:

So what is a E100037 Johnson Impeller for the Sherwood pump installed on my 2020 M6?

That reference E100037 number is nowhere to be found on a Google search.

You won't find it anywhere except a dealer. It is a custom impeller made for Malibu.

21 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

You won't find it anywhere except a dealer. It is a custom impeller made for Malibu.

I did find the “Malibu” impeller stamped with Johnson 707B-1.  They are available online from various sources at various prices.

Edited by dlb
22 hours ago, dlb said:

I did find the “Malibu” impeller stamped with Johnson 707B-1.  They are available online from various sources at various prices.

I believe was @23LSVOwner is saying is that the Malibu impeller has screw threads on the inside of the impeller that is used to attach the Malibu impeller puller.  While yes, it is still stamped with 707B-1, the threads on the inside is what is specific to Malibu.

If you have found these online, would you mind sharing a URL for us to source some through?