Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M5 or M6 for 23LSV

Merk

We demoed a 23LSV and going to place an order. The demo boat had a M5 and I felt it worked great but there was only 3.5 of us in boat. Dealer recommend it might be good idea to upgrade to M6 for those days we have more people. I believe the upgrade is $4700 and don't mind spending the money  but wondering how often I'll actually need it. Anyone have a 23LSV and wish they had the M6? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have the M6Di in my 2021 and it's been great thus far. Having had smaller engines in previous boats I decided not to skimp on the motor because it's pretty much the one thing you can't change in a boat. The M6Di is very quite and has tons of power. When my boat first arrived we filled all ballast as well as the plug and plays and the boat got on plane and to wakeboarding speed with no problem at all, the fuel tank was at 85% and there were 3 adults on board. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, sbaird4000 said:

I have the M6Di in my 2021 and it's been great thus far. Having had smaller engines in previous boats I decided not to skimp on the motor because it's pretty much the one thing you can't change in a boat. The M6Di is very quite and has tons of power. When my boat first arrived we filled all ballast as well as the plug and plays and the boat got on plane and to wakeboarding speed with no problem at all, the fuel tank was at 85% and there were 3 adults on board. 

I"m leaning that way and have dealer writing quote now with M6. At this point whats $4700. Thanks for insight

• Like 2

The 5.3l GM GDI engine is a fantastic little v8.  The 6.2l GM GDI engine is basically the same engine with more displacement and more power.  I am pretty much always a fan of more power if it doesn't have much of a reliability cost.  I don't see any real downside to getting the 6.2l other than price.     

Edited by jjackkrash
22 minutes ago, PNWoke said:

Is M5 vs m6 like the monsoon 350 vs monsoon 409/410 of the previous generation? 

Not exactly.   The Monsoon was the old GEN-I small block, last updated in 1996, which was mostly just stealing head design from the 1992 GEN-II small block.  The L96 (6.0L), LS3, and LSA were all GEN-IV small blocks.  The M5 (L83) and M6 (L86) are both GEN-V small blocks that came out in '14.

M5 vs M6 is a direct comparison to L96 vs LS3 in terms of motors put in Malibu's.

Yep, never met anyone that said they were bummed they had too much power. I used the same thinking when building my new garage... never met anyone that said their garage was too big.

”Pay a little more and only cry once.” - blind squirrel 🐿 

• Like 2

I have a 2020 23LSV M6 and even with 11 onboard a mix of Adults, Teens and kids full ballast, it still yanks them out of the water.  I went trough the same back and forth as you probably are but I even had a option for a Raptor because of the GM strike, get the M6. 

Grown men don't like admitting mistakes or "wish they would's" especially on a forum such as ours.  My point is that you are not going to see the guys that bought the M5 in a 23LSV come on here and express their disappointment in their decision they made in the motor choice in a 100K+ boat.

I have a 23LSV with an M6 and speed prop - love it!  I would never go back down to a 5.3 no matter the boat I had.  I have owned the 350 Monsoon, 410 Raptor, 409 PCM and now the Monsoon M6 all in the 23 LSV.  M6 is my favorite motor by far.

Good luck with the purchase.

31 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Thanks for proving my statement, another valuable/ positive post from you. Good job on finding those links, but not sure one can misquote themselves. Here's a good link you should check out...

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Internet Troll

1 hour ago, Murphy8166 said:

Grown men don't like admitting mistakes or "wish they would's" especially on a forum such as ours.  My point is that you are not going to see the guys that bought the M5 in a 23LSV come on here and express their disappointment in their decision they made in the motor choice in a 100K+ boat.

We'll I don't always act like a grown man so here goes.......... but I have the M5 in a 19 and if I had the choice would go with the M6.

Now the 19 vs 20-21 is a different conversation because the tranny's arn't the same so the M5 might do better in the newer boats. For instance i am surfing at 4k rpms or close to it but I will say the M5 is not burning a ton of gas doing it. If i was ordering a boat I would buy the M6 for sure, its not much more than the clamping racks which feel like they are going to break any day now. If I didn't get a great deal on my boat I might be more hesitant to admit I want the M6 but it will still do what I need... for now. :)

• Like 4
On 8/1/2020 at 11:04 AM, jjackkrash said:

The 5.3l GM GDI engine is a fantastic little v8.  The 6.2l GM GDI engine is basically the same engine with more displacement and more power.  I am pretty much always a fan of more power if it doesn't have much of a reliability cost.  I don't see any real downside to getting the 6.2l other than price.     

After having both of these in car form in a  Suburban and then a Yukon Denali, there is something special about the 6.2. It's a torque monster and an absolute pleasure to own. I can only assume it's the same in the boat.  Propping down to compensate for the M5 will mean reducing the top speed and running higher revs.