Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinion needed on speakers

ThinBuLine

Hello all,

I bought a 2000 sportster lx and it has 20 year old speakers in it. I’m not an audiophile and just looking to replace the aged speakers. What’s your $0.02 on these? Looking for a decent speaker on a budget (like everyone else).

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_94322_Rockford-Fosgate-RM0652B.html

TYIA. 

44 minutes ago, MLA said:

Specs state they require a 5.4" cutout. Thats larger then typical. 

That is because they are 6.5" - the OP's OEM speakers are 6" (at least from the factory).

31 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

That is because they are 6.5" - the OP's OEM speakers are 6" (at least from the factory).

As stated, a 5.4" cutout is larger then most typical 6.5" speakers, with 5.0" cutout being the norm.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

As stated, a 5.4" cutout is larger then most typical 6.5" speakers, with 5.0" cutout being the norm.  

I'm in the process of replacing my black JBL rear speakers to white ones, just 'cause...  and the cutout sizes seem to be all over the map.  Unlike wire colours, there appears to be be no EIA standard.

So are those speakers decent or no? Ha. I can always make my speaker holes a half inch bigger... 

Edited by InIt4theDough
49 minutes ago, InIt4theDough said:

So are those speakers decent or no? Ha. I can always make my speaker holes a half inch bigger... 

Well, for a boat I doubt it matters.  Pyle, JL, kenwood, etc. all similar.  Unless you want to spring for a set of Focal Utopias. ;) 

I love my Wetsounds XS-650's and you will find they are pretty common and liked, the lower end XS-65 is good too. I also have a set of kickers in my tower that work just fine.

The link you posted will be a good bet and a decent upgrade to no speakers. You can do down the rabbit hole with stereo gear.

If you wanted to really do it right you would want to consider a 4 channel amplifier, and trying to fit a pair of 8" speakers behind the driver for better bass response which would require enlarging the holes. A sub is best for bass, but then you are getting into a lot of weight for a ski boat / Slalom boat.

On 8/1/2020 at 9:55 PM, InIt4theDough said:

For that price, I think you could get something better in the same dollar range.

I have a (bad) feeling that you are going to be running these off a head unit and not a dedicated amp.  In that case, though I do not condone doing so in a boat, I would recommend taking something that is marine, decent quality, and has a very high sensitivity rating.  That will at least get you the most out of what little you will be feeding it.  

If I am wrong and you have an amp, the sensitivity is less important.   

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

For that price, I think you could get something better in the same dollar range.

I have a (bad) feeling that you are going to be running these off a head unit and not a dedicated amp.  In that case, though I do not condone doing so in a boat, I would recommend taking something that is marine, decent quality, and has a very high sensitivity rating.  That will at least get you the most out of what little you will be feeding it.  

If I am wrong and you have an amp, the sensitivity is less important.   

I have a dedicated JL 5 channel amp.

Measured my cutouts and they are 5”....

Already looking at taking off the windshield and the project this will become, cutting the holes bigger may be more of an undertaking then I want..

looking at the wet sounds WS-65 as they need a 5” cutout. Anyone have any opinions on these?

1 hour ago, InIt4theDough said:

. Anyone have any opinions on these?

Just note, the 2 models mentioned have long been retired and replaced with new model numbers. This may help your search. 

13 hours ago, InIt4theDough said:

I have a dedicated JL 5 channel amp.

Measured my cutouts and they are 5”....

Already looking at taking off the windshield and the project this will become, cutting the holes bigger may be more of an undertaking then I want..

looking at the wet sounds WS-65 as they need a 5” cutout. Anyone have any opinions on these?

get revo6 and put in rgb or single pair wire and have lights built in and they are twice the rms rating of the 65 or 650