Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 VLX loss of power

Out on water today wakesurfing, stopped for a break and when I went to pull someone up, lost power.  I put in forward and reverse, same, will putt forward or reverse but throttle does not increase power.  Put in neutral, throttled and same, no rev.  I know someone on the TMC will know exactly what this is.  Any suggestions much apprecaiated!

Thanks for the response, funny thing is it was my wife out with 7 teenage girls when it went down, I had to work and couldnt make the lake Friday.  It putted back to the dock.  I will check the throttle cable first.  Sorry I am not sure what TBW is?   I am fairly handy, and have done many repairs on both of my Malibu's over the past 15 years, thanks to TMC.

Bet you've never replaced the barrel connector on the throttle cable at the shifter end. Those fail in time. Wear item most owners don't know exists. Pretty easy fix. Spin the new one on the same number of threads the old one was. 

3 hours ago, txaggie1994 said:

what TBW is? 

Throttle By Wire.  But I am pretty sure you have throttle by cable.  FWIW, same deal - wife and friends/sisters.  I was not home but it was a simple fix AFTER the engine cooled down.  There are pictures on the forum of this fitting.  my guess is it came loose or as suggested above, the barrel connector failed.  You can manually actuate the throttle at the engine to see if that is the case or something more nefarious.

Appreciate both of your suggestions.  I am going to work on it tomorrow and will report back to guys what the culprit is.

Was finally able to inspect barrel connectors at the shifter and looked ok.  Checked the throttle cable connection at engine and found that it has completly came loose and bolt and nut were lying there.  Reconnected and back up and running.  I am going to replace barrel connectors as a saftey factor with the boat being 18 years old.  Really appreciate y'all pointing me in the right direction and will know where to look in the future.  

IMG_2518.jpg

IMG_2523.jpg

Cool - glad you figured it out.  You might want to see how many threads are engaged on the brass 1" connector - that is where mine came loose.  You have enough play in the other aduster to make sure it is not literally hanging on by a thread.  :)

Lol, Good call, I was hoping you would give me some feedback on that.  Took me a minute to figure out how to get it reconnected and then it was a little intimidating with all the moving parts, nuts, threads going to the perfect pass.... From the pic it appears i have plenty to work with.  Thanks again!

8 hours ago, txaggie1994 said:

I am going to replace barrel connectors as a saftey factor with the boat being 18 years old.  Really appreciate y'all pointing me in the right direction and will know where to look in the future.  

Good call.  Here was my 2002 a couple years ago.  Looked great from the outside, but must remove to see the damage.

https://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R024024

2zf1qpu.jpg