Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat not at/on roller - Drive as-is or adjust?

liverlips

Just picked this up and about to take it on a 7 hour drive.  Do I need to visit a boat ramp first and power the boat onto the roller or is it fine as-is?  Transom straps/buckles are secured and tight so I'm not at all worried about the boat falling off the back.  Not sure of the functionality of the roller (is it meant to bear any weight, indicate how far up the bunks the boat must be?).

Thanks in advance for any knowledge shared!

Boat-winch.jpg

Edited by liverlips
uploaded image

I assume the bunks are dry now and you can't just winch it up snug?  I'll often winch my RLX up the last bit rather than powering all the way to the roller.  If it was me, I'd refloat it and snug it up, but I think it will be fine.

I wouldn’t try and winch it up the rest of the way dry unless you want to replace the winch (lots of people on here experienced those bending, pic below for reference). I’d drop it in the water real quick and crank it the last foot.

C735ACD5-FA1C-4203-89CA-4E364C8FCF85.jpeg

I believe you’ll experience some bounce.  At least I did when I my ratchet broke and that was where my boat was on the trailer (tight strap, gear teeth broke that would let me get it any further).  I would recommend dipping it to get it snug before heading out.

Get the hose out.

Spray the bunks the best you can.

Drive down the street, 5 mph or so, slam on the brakes.  Check it, tighten it, do it again.....  WaLa you are good to go.

• Like 3