Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Loud winning (feedback) please help

Kdmann64

Just bought 2015 22mx has three amps and wetsounds equalizer 

getting load feedback from in the boat speakers only when the boat is running

Do I need to replace the output cords ? 
grounds look good but I don’t know

im getting a little through tower speaker but load on interior ones 

please help. We are camping at the lake and it’s driving me crazy 

I've got the same issue on a 2016 23LSV.  Noise present only when engine is running.  I've checked grounds and think I have everything grounded to the same place (common ground for amplifiers, which is grounded to batteries).  It's not a audio source issue.  It's hard to diagnose because for me, the noise is only present when engine is running, so diag needs to be done on the water.  I've hooked up the water hose and ran boat for 30+ minutes and couldn't get the noise to appear, which is also weird.  It is mostly noticeable on tower speakers, but you can hear it in the cabin speakers too.  Looking forward to some suggestions.  

More than likely, this is a result of how the peripheral equipment was wired, in relation to the how the rest of the system was wired. Depending on the generation of the peripheral equipment, there may be some internal adjustments that can aid in isolating the ground plan. May check the owners manual. 

5 hours ago, Kdmann64 said:

I took it to an audio shop to have rcas replaced and amps checked

hes also going to Check grounds and power wires

ill let you know what we find 

bet the eq is grounded to dash

3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

bet the eq is grounded to dash

I have this feeling too, I have this on my 19 vlx.  I’m gonna take test wires from ground term to under dash and also to motor so see if it clears up the noise

I didn't start this thread, so I don't want to seem like I am taking over, but in my instance, the Wet Sounds EQ, Amps and RF Black Box are all grounded to a ground block which is grounded to the battery.  But noise is still present.      

On 8/6/2020 at 3:36 PM, TwoOne0 said:

I didn't start this thread, so I don't want to seem like I am taking over, but in my instance, the Wet Sounds EQ, Amps and RF Black Box are all grounded to a ground block which is grounded to the battery.  But noise is still present.      

what switches the system on? how is it powered and grounded

what about power for EQ, Amps, snd black box, in my simple 14 axis with no black box everything is remote power and ground 

i have no stereo or rgb noise

Edited by granddaddy55

The remote from the Rockford Fosgate black box is used to turn amps and EQ on, but someone on another thread recommended using a relay, so I wired up a relay which has the remote wire from the RF black box going to the relay that switches the relay on and then relay sends 12V to three amps and EQ.  Relay is grounded to same dist. block as amps and EQ.  All three amps and EQ are grounded to a distribution block that is tied to the battery and of course battery is then grounded to the engine via the starter.  Power for EQ, Amps and black box all come from a power distribution block.

I had just done the relay for the remote turn on for the amps and EQ last week, so this weekend was first time back in the water with this relay setup.  Still have noise.  So I started looking around and discovered what seems to be a power/ground distribution box mounted to the back side of the rear seat, inside the engine compartment.  This box has a bunch of relays and it appears to be power for the engine electronics, although I have not dug around too much just yet.  There is a 8awg power and 8awg ground for this box, so substantial power.  The ground is wired to a different ground on the engine than the rest of the boat.  The main 2/0 ground that goes to the batteries is grounded to the starter.  This other 8awg wire runs past the starter and then grounded to a different stud on the side of the engine.  I'm wondering is this might be the problem if this power dist. box is only powered up while the engine is running and this is when the noise appears?  

So, I did some investigating last night and used the fake a lake to run the boat.  I moved the ground I had found from the side of the engine to the main grounding point at the starter.  Still had noise.  Started messing around with RCAs and removed them from the WS EQ and noise was still present, although not as loud.  Removed RCAs from amps and noise went away.  Tried running an old Component Video cable (only RCAs I had long enough) from WS EQ to Amp and had a slight noise, but not near as bad.  The WS EQ is mounted under the steering wheel on the dash, to the right.  I have a big subwoofer box with false panel, so no access to the wiring behind the dash.  I pulled the small cabin speaker mounted in the small storage area that allowed me to see behind the dash and I can see all the RCAs from the WS EQ running near the power wire that I assume is for the breaker panel (larger wire, looks to be 1/0).  RCAs also pass directly under some relays.  I'm guessing this is where all the noise is coming from when engine is running.  I also think the EQ is probably mounted to close to power wire, or at least I hope, which could be why I still heard some slight noise when running old component video RCA.  

Is there an easy way to pull the smaller dash screen to gain access behind dash?  The speaker hole is too small and too far away to be helpful.  Looking for an easy way to gain access under the dash without having to pull the custom subwoofer box below the dash.  

On 8/11/2020 at 10:03 AM, TwoOne0 said:

So, I did some investigating last night and used the fake a lake to run the boat.  I moved the ground I had found from the side of the engine to the main grounding point at the starter.  Still had noise.  Started messing around with RCAs and removed them from the WS EQ and noise was still present, although not as loud.  Removed RCAs from amps and noise went away.  Tried running an old Component Video cable (only RCAs I had long enough) from WS EQ to Amp and had a slight noise, but not near as bad.  The WS EQ is mounted under the steering wheel on the dash, to the right.  I have a big subwoofer box with false panel, so no access to the wiring behind the dash.  I pulled the small cabin speaker mounted in the small storage area that allowed me to see behind the dash and I can see all the RCAs from the WS EQ running near the power wire that I assume is for the breaker panel (larger wire, looks to be 1/0).  RCAs also pass directly under some relays.  I'm guessing this is where all the noise is coming from when engine is running.  I also think the EQ is probably mounted to close to power wire, or at least I hope, which could be why I still heard some slight noise when running old component video RCA.  

Is there an easy way to pull the smaller dash screen to gain access behind dash?  The speaker hole is too small and too far away to be helpful.  Looking for an easy way to gain access under the dash without having to pull the custom subwoofer box below the dash.  

Update - Took the boat apart last night and tried to run high quality RCAs from Maliview receiver to RF6000 black box, then from RF6000 black box to WS EQ, then from EQ to a Single Amp.  Could never get the high pitched noise to go away.  The only thing I can figure now is that it may be the WS EQ, although it doesn't make sense that the high pitched noise is only there when the engine is running and non-existent when the engine is off.  I did bypass the WS EQ and if I remember correctly, the noise was gone with the engine running, but I tried so many different things last night I just cannot remember.  I'm looking forward to Kdmann64 reply after he water tests the audio shops theory.

What really stumps me is that this noise is only present with the engine running......  If it was a ground loop, you would think the noise would be present all the time.  If it was the EQ, you would think the noise would be preset all the time.  I've checked the alternator and it seems to be fine, unplugged it to make sure it was not sending amperage to the battery just in case it was the alternator, but that did not help.  Besides, the noise does not fluctuate with engine speed.  

I got to thinking about the WS 420SQ EQ possibly being the culprit, so I did a quick search on google for known issues.  A thread from themalibucrew came up and mentioned there is a ground isolation jumper internal on the EQ, also mentioned in the owners manual of the 420SQ.  Figured why not give it a look.  Opened up the EQ and sure enough, the jumper is not in position to be isolated, so I have moved it over to isolation.  Going to lake this weekend and will give it a try and let you know the results.  Seems to simple, but could be the key.  There is a lot of wiring under the dash and the grounding BUS, but that BUS is grounded back to my main Ground Bar that is grounded to stud on the Stater.  We'll see, fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, the ground isolation jumper did not work.  Back to the drawing board.  It looks like there are three settings on the WS EQ for that jumper as there are 4 prongs, two to the left say GND, middle two say ISO and two to the left say 220.  I cannot find any information on what the 220 is for, but that is where the jumper was positioned initially.  I moved it to ISO and same noise.  While on the water this weekend, I did test and remove the Tower Output RCAs and the noise was gone from tower speakers, so that leads me to believe noise is coming from WS EQ or from RFX6000 or Maliview connection to RFX6000.  Later this week, I am going to try switching the WS EQ to AUX and sending a signal from an ipod/iphone via 3.5mm jack and see if I still have noise.  If I do, then I think I can eliminate the noise coming from the RFX6000 and Maliview conneciton to RFX6000 and pinpoint the noise being from EQ.  Still stumped why noise is only present when engine is running.  You would think a ground loop issue or faulty equipment (EQ, RFX6000 or Maliview) the noise would be present at all times.    

Tried switching the EQ to aux input and used my phone with a 3.5mm jack.  Music played fine, but with the volume all the way down on the phone, the high pitched noise was still present with the engine running.  I bought a brand new WS-420BT and have it installed, and still get the same noise with the engine running.  I've check all the grounds I can think of and they are all good connections.

Amps are grounded to grounding block that is grounded to batteries.

EQ is grounded to Amp grounding block

RFX 6000 is grounded to Amp grounding block

Not sure on the Maliview Screen, but I assume it is grounded to the Ground BUS under the dash, which is then grounded to batteries.  Under dash is very hard to access and requires custom sub box to be pulled (not an easy job).

Batteries are grounded via the 2/0 cable that grounds to the starter stud on the engine.

I am open to any suggestions. 

• 2 years later...

TwoOne0

On 8/25/2020 at 8:14 AM, TwoOne0 said:

Tried switching the EQ to aux input and used my phone with a 3.5mm jack.  Music played fine, but with the volume all the way down on the phone, the high pitched noise was still present with the engine running.  I bought a brand new WS-420BT and have it installed, and still get the same noise with the engine running.  I've check all the grounds I can think of and they are all good connections.

Amps are grounded to grounding block that is grounded to batteries.

EQ is grounded to Amp grounding block

RFX 6000 is grounded to Amp grounding block

Not sure on the Maliview Screen, but I assume it is grounded to the Ground BUS under the dash, which is then grounded to batteries.  Under dash is very hard to access and requires custom sub box to be pulled (not an easy job).

Batteries are grounded via the 2/0 cable that grounds to the starter stud on the engine.

I am open to any suggestions. 

Did you ever resolve this issue?