Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

removing perfect pass

NE4now

I have a 1999 Sportster with a perfect pass system that we dont use and dont really anticipate using.

Starting to upgrade the boats electrical & audio and really like the idea of the 3" kicker head unit that could replace the Perfect Pass gauge in the dash vs having the head unit under my armrest where it is now. 

I am considering pulling and selling the perfect pass system (if it's worth anything?) vs the idea of just taking the gauge out and leaving it secured under the dash. 

Anyone with some tips or input to help me decide would be appreciated. 

480x360-right.jpg

7 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

IIRC the Sportster of that era used a 4" gauge?  Also, you can EASILY get good money for a working Perfectpass system.  I assume it is single line display.

Yes, Single line display and I havent been home to measure yet but was told this head unit could replace the gauge. 

2 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

No BT on that Kicker unit.  That's a fail these days.  Try https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104M350B6/Boss-MCKGB350B-6-Black-speakers.html?tp=61742 or similar.

Hrrmm wouldn't want it without bluetooth

according to description it has it tho.

"Connect your Bluetooth to the KMC2, plug into the included USB or RCA inputs, or turn on the AM/FM radio. Add a wired KRC12 remote for even more control. This durable media center is ready for some fun on the water!"

3 minutes ago, NE4now said:

Yes, Single line display and I havent been home to measure yet but was told this head unit could replace the gauge. 

If you measure across the front of your existing speedometer or tachometer you will find the following:

* If it measures about 3.5 – 3.75 inches then you will require a 3.5 inch PerfectPass Display

* If it measures about 4.5 - 4.75 inches then you will require a 5 inch PerfectPass Display

Just now, NE4now said:

any electrical complications with Removing the perfect pass? 

Nope!  Simple - just  insulate all the wires you disconnect.  Esp. the grey RPM wire.  And don't snip cables - you can easily disassemble the whole system and pluu the wires  that connect the controls to the stepper motor on the engine.

6 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

If you measure across the front of your existing speedometer or tachometer you will find the following:

* If it measures about 3.5 – 3.75 inches then you will require a 3.5 inch PerfectPass Display

* If it measures about 4.5 - 4.75 inches then you will require a 5 inch PerfectPass Display

from memory I'd guess that its about a 4" but I will definitely measure when I get to the boat. I have the dash with 3 large gauges, 1 speedo, the tach and perfect pass display all same size.  

We are currently using the pp display as a digital speedo because our 4yr old decided to pull the hoses off & break the pitot on the airgudes that are no longer available... will be going gps if i cant find a cheap fix for that. 

1 hour ago, NE4now said:

from memory I'd guess that its about a 4" but I will definitely measure when I get to the boat. I have the dash with 3 large gauges, 1 speedo, the tach and perfect pass display all same size.  

We are currently using the pp display as a digital speedo because our 4yr old decided to pull the hoses off & break the pitot on the airgudes that are no longer available... will be going gps if i cant find a cheap fix for that. 

Pretty sure that the 98 guage pattern transferred over to 99.  IN 99 the Response got the 5" gauges with the 4-1 multi;  yours has separate oil, water etc. right?  If so then it is the 4".

You can subsitute any pickup for the old Airguides.  Twenty bucks to fix.  Or upgrade to a GPS speedo like https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=10025|10599|10737&product=44235509&code=759266338395 (These are in CAD or 75 cent dollars. or first Google result:  https://www.overtons.com/faria-chesapeake-ss-gps-speedometer-60-mph-348642.html  Barely even worth ferkeling with pitot tubes for a hundred buck super accurate replacement. )

Does your PP not work correctly?  I can't figure out why you wouldn't use it?  I use it for everything - surfing, wakeboarding, slalom, and even kids on a Zup board.  

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Does your PP not work correctly?  I can't figure out why you wouldn't use it?  I use it for everything - surfing, wakeboarding, slalom, and even kids on a Zup board.  

this is my 1st boat to have PP (this is also my first rec/slow boat) and our lake isnt very big so I just havent felt the need to use it and I really would like to get the radio or its controls into a more user friendly spot.  Considering just getting a higher wattage head unit with a control too.  Just got 4 Kicker Marine speakers that can handle more power to replace the old ones in the boat (hopefully tonight if all goes smoothly with the dash speakers).

Also figure if it is worth something to someone that will use it, I should take advantage of that if i can. 

Slap any BT enabled stereo under the armrest and stream music from your phone.  I picked up a stoopid (tm) cheap BT stereo - has AUX in, SD Card slot, BT etc. and works just fine.  The guage radio in the dash will be a PITA to operate when you are going.  And besides, my beter half chooses what, if any, music is played.  :)

6 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

kids on a Zup board.  

On another note, How do you like the Zup board and which one do you have?? We have been watching some youtube vids on them and think we are going to grab one for our youngest for xmas to start using next summer (he will be 5). 

2 minutes ago, NE4now said:

Also figure if it is worth something to someone that will use it, I should take advantage of that if i can. 

You are likely to lose more value on the included resale of our boat than by selling the system separately.

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You are likely to lose more value on the included resale of our boat than by selling the system separately.

agreed.  i'd find a different sound option because if you try to add PP later it will be much more than you're selling the old one for.

3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Slap any BT enabled stereo under the armrest and stream music from your phone.  I picked up a stoopid (tm) cheap BT stereo - has AUX in, SD Card slot, BT etc. and works just fine.  The guage radio in the dash will be a PITA to operate when you are going.  And besides, my beter half chooses what, if any, music is played.  :)

2 hours ago, jtryon said:

agreed.  i'd find a different sound option because if you try to add PP later it will be much more than you're selling the old one for.

3 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

OK. Think you have me convinced to go another route for the radio and keep the PP. Maybe I will even try it this weekend. Ill look for an instruction manual for it. 

Maybe just get a better Radio with a wired remote/display to replace the analog clock that I cant set the time on... :biggrin:

Gonna install some kicker speakers tonight if all goes smoothly and hopefully theres some improvement in sound. 

20 hours ago, NE4now said:

On another note, How do you like the Zup board and which one do you have?? We have been watching some youtube vids on them and think we are going to grab one for our youngest for xmas to start using next summer (he will be 5). 

I don't.  Stupid heavy piece of plastic.  It is basically a glorified kneeboard.  Mine is the You Got This 2.0.  Of their own rating, it gets 3/4 on Wakesurf rating...good luck with that.  Even a lightweight, experienced skim style rider will struggle with that, and they expect newbs to use it for surfing??!!!  They only give it a 3/4 for 360 ability, but this thing is about as loose as you get with no fins of any kind, which is awful for a newb trying to stand.  Honestly, the only thing this is good for is getting newbies on a kneeboard easily and they can feel special detaching the rope and maybe standing up.  

16 hours ago, NE4now said:

OK. Think you have me convinced to go another route for the radio and keep the PP. Maybe I will even try it this weekend. Ill look for an instruction manual for it. 

Maybe just get a better Radio with a wired remote/display to replace the analog clock that I cant set the time on... :biggrin:

Gonna install some kicker speakers tonight if all goes smoothly and hopefully theres some improvement in sound. 

Just buy a HU and relocate under the dash:
20200627-102236.jpg

I personally don't promote the idea of running boat speakers off of a head unit's built-in amp, as they just don't have the power to do it properly and typically sound like crap.  Plus without a sub, the stereo will never sound right.  I'd personally recommend doing a stand-alone EQ with a bluetooth dongle attached.  Run 5-channel amp to inboats and a sub, as that will be both simple and cost effective. 

3 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

My wife would knock that off first time.

Yes somehow I'm 6'3" and never hurt it, nor does by 5'2" wife or my 6'5" buddy that's a BIG dude never has an issue with it - I've had that mount for 7-8 years now with 0.0 issues (just replaced the head unit recently with that one).  I'm going to go with my many hours of real world experience with this over your assumption your wife might do something to it.

2 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

I don't.  Stupid heavy piece of plastic.  It is basically a glorified kneeboard.  Mine is the You Got This 2.0.  Of their own rating, it gets 3/4 on Wakesurf rating...good luck with that.  Even a lightweight, experienced skim style rider will struggle with that, and they expect newbs to use it for surfing??!!!  They only give it a 3/4 for 360 ability, but this thing is about as loose as you get with no fins of any kind, which is awful for a newb trying to stand.  Honestly, the only thing this is good for is getting newbies on a kneeboard easily and they can feel special detaching the rope and maybe standing up.  

Just buy a HU and relocate under the dash:
20200627-102236.jpg

I personally don't promote the idea of running boat speakers off of a head unit's built-in amp, as they just don't have the power to do it properly and typically sound like crap.  Plus without a sub, the stereo will never sound right.  I'd personally recommend doing a stand-alone EQ with a bluetooth dongle attached.  Run 5-channel amp to inboats and a sub, as that will be both simple and cost effective. 

thanks for the info on the zup. If anything we are just considering something like it for my little guy (will be 5 next summer) to get started behind the boat besides the tubes. 

I installed 4 Kicker Marine 6.5" speakers last night (dash were a pain in the a**). They sound way better than the stock speakers but could definitely use more than the 50w peak the Kenwood head unit is pushing out. I also did some research and can get a wired remote for the kenwood if I go that route. There's already 2 sealed 10" sub boxes with some old rockfords up in the bow that are ok but I do have a set of dual voice coil mtx 10s and an old punch 225.2 amp that I may swap in there just for fun.