Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SPN: 94, FMI: 15 - Fuel Pressure Regulator?

The prior two times out on the water I got the Service needed warning with the SPN:94, FMI:15 data valid but above normal range code.  It happened only once each time the engine was started and never more than once now matter how long we ran.   The first time it happened I put the boat through it's paces and ran perfectly fine.  When I got home I checked for active and inactive engine faults and nothing was stored  I was thinking it might have been stale fuel since we have not gone through a tank yet. Next time out, same thing - got the fault, didn't store, but ran perfectly fine.

Today started the same way.  However, half way through today the engine started acting up.  First during a surfing session it wouldn't hit surf speed, and hit a wall at around 8 or 9mph.  We stopped, shut everything down and started again and it worked fine.  Then after the surf session we were cruising to the sandbar (25mph) to hang out a bit and suddenly the engine bogged down and wouldn't go over 11mph (I double checked cruise was off).  2 more times during the day the samething happened, and with shutting the system down and rebooting it went back to work fine for a while.  But still no codes are stored.

I'm thinking the fuel pressure regulator is going?  Thoughts?  Other things to look at?

Edited by DAI

I was tracing the fuel supply to engine and I'm guessing this is the fuel pressure sensor?  Is the regulator built into the fuel pump assembly?

20200729_170106.jpg

20200729_170029.jpg

Edited by DAI

The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly.  It is actually the big round thing on the top of the fuel tank with the orange fuel line connected to it in your second photo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, csleaver said:

The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly.  It is actually the big round thing on the top of the fuel tank with the orange fuel line connected to it in your second photo.

Thank you.

What is the maximum speed in limp mode?  Is it the 10-11 mph I saw when not weighted down?  

It's wierd that it would throw the code, work fine for a while, them go into limp mode.  Only to come out of limp mode when system in poweded down and batteries are turned off without a code stored.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, csleaver said:

If you can get a new fuel pump assembly it would come with a regulator.  It will likely cost a lot more than just the regulator, but could get you in the water again faster.

That’s what we are trying to do, but was told those were on backorder and not expected for another 2 weeks.

• 2 years later...

You may want to connect a mechanical fuel pressure gauge to verify the actual fuel pressure compared to the fuel pressure reading from the sensor to determine if it is a fuel pressure sensor circuit problem or an actual fuel pressure issue.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 9:17 PM, csleaver said:

This post right here helped me save hundreds of dollars.  My warranty company wasn’t going to cover it and I couldn’t remember if the regulator was housed in the assembly. I looked on here, sent them the photo in this thread and they covered it. 

Man, this TMC group is awesome!!!