Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What trailer do I need

SteveBook

I purchased a 2003 Sunscape 21’ LSV boat several years ago without a trailer (previous owner lived on my lake). I now need a trailer for this boat. Where should I look to find out trailer type and where to purchase?  Any help much appreciated. 

1 hour ago, dlb said:

That era boat usually came with a SMP trailer made in Tennessee.

depends where it came from.  Some boatmates, some Eagles, some SMPs, some Dorseys, some Extremes, and wherever East Coast Flightcraft got their trailers from.  :)

My dad has the Eagle single axle trailer for that boat.  Other than self induced harm, it's been solid, but it's done very light duty.

Hello,

I have a trailer for a 2004 Wakesetter 21 foot VLX (same trailer for sunsetter).  I recently upgraded trailers and no longer need this trailer.  The trailer does need some work but if you just need a trailer to store your boat on or take relatively short trips with then it will do just fine.  Due to a bearing problem [fixed], the surge brakes are no longer working.  With that being said, I trailered my boat from Springfield, Missouri to Fort Wayne, Indiana without trailer brakes and my Ram 1500 was able to stop the boat just fine (10 hour trip).  Also, the trailer does have rust, a dent in a wheel fender, and I believe the left running light needs repaired.  It does have a breakaway hitch, long step rails with the word "Malibu" underneath, and one new tire (less than 500 miles).  If you are interested shoot me a message with an offer.  I am located in Fort Wayne, IN.  Let me know if you would like to see more pictures. https://imgur.com/a/InDUIJG

On 7/29/2020 at 3:19 PM, dlb said:

That era boat usually came with a SMP trailer made in Tennessee.

And they thankfully stopped making boat trailers. 

@SteveBook, any trailer for a '96 - '01 Sunsetter VLX, '00- 04' Wakesetter VLX, '02 - '04 Sunscape 21LSV, or '05 - '08 Vride will fit perfectly.  All are on the same SV23 hull and Vdrives.  Since this is the best selling inboard hull of all time, you at least have a decent chance of finding a trailer.

1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

And they thankfully stopped making boat trailers. 

@SteveBook, any trailer for a '96 - '01 Sunsetter VLX, '00- 04' Wakesetter VLX, '02 - '04 Sunscape 21LSV, or '05 - '08 Vride will fit perfectly.  All are on the same SV23 hull and Vdrives.  Since this is the best selling inboard hull of all time, you at least have a decent chance of finding a trailer.

I am in a similar situation to SteveBook (OP), however at least have one of the SMP trailers NitrousBird is sharing his feelings regarding.   I too wish the people at SMP had used their talents anywhere but on boat trailers for these boats!

Question for NitrousBird (or any others who can answer like he did above); could you give me a list of appropriate trailers for my 2003 Sunsetter LXi?    It’s currently sitting on a SMP TL-1976 that is barely roadworthy, as in I cringe everytime, and I’d rather not shell good money out on a proper refurbish/refresh if I acquire a better trailer instead.

Edited by xav8rdtc
Addendum

As an addendum; I’ve always thought I must have a strange disease because I almost never get jealous of other boats, although there are certainly nicer than mine, however I get jealous of at least 50-75% of the other trailers when I walk through the parking lot (and we all know the general care and attention the trailer usually receives!).

2 hours ago, xav8rdtc said:

I get jealous of at least 50-75% of the other trailers when I walk through the parking lot

I just marvel at how much money people pay for trailers and the gee-gaws they add on.

2 hours ago, xav8rdtc said:

As an addendum; I’ve always thought I must have a strange disease because I almost never get jealous of other boats, although there are certainly nicer than mine, however I get jealous of at least 50-75% of the other trailers when I walk through the parking lot (and we all know the general care and attention the trailer usually receives!).

Whoever bought my boat originally paid for the cool lighted "malibu" panels, its color matched and I really like it - especially at night.  BUT they also put really nice 18" wheels on it, which look great but the low pro tires are expensive and split easily when nudging even small curbs.  Added bonus is that no one stocks the tire size, always a 2 day order (fresh in my mind because it cost me a boating trip out of town last weekend).  I could honestly see myself selling the wheels and downgrading to standard trailer tires and wheels if I have to replace another set of tires.  All that said, I hear from someone like you about how nice my trailer is every time I launch so its a common disease.:)

Funny, the hate for Sweetwater Metal Products.  I have a '94 SMP under my Echelon.  I've towed it from MO to Dallas (10 hours each way), from MO to the Malibu plant in TN (another 20 hour round trip) many many trips to Table Rock (4 hours) and Bull Shoals (4 hours), an hour each way to the local pond for years and years...   and other than self inflicted damage (friend in a STL area ski club hit a curb and bent an axle and wheel), blown tire a month ago destroyed a fender (the DOT date on that tire was 2006, I should have replaced it years ago)... It's been a solid trailer...  

On 8/8/2020 at 9:42 PM, h2oskibumz said:

Funny, the hate for Sweetwater Metal Products... It's been a solid trailer...  

My trailer has been semi-sold in terms of what SMP actually built (have replaced some of the UFP sourced parts on it).  Electrical runs are a little hokey and I have to redo that.  The big issue is how the boat loads on the trailer.  You can't float it on, because it has zero chance of coming close to being centered and will overshoot the bow roller.  You have to get it in the perfect depth and crank it up to get the boat centered.  Too shallow and you crank forever and may not be centered; too deep and you will never be centered.  I've tweaked a couple things and have it down now, but the design is less than forgiving.

• 2 weeks later...