Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2021 M240 stern sub build

Kseiter

I recently purchased a new 2021 M240 and traded my 2020 24MXZ. Should have gone with the M240 our of the gate... but I guess I had to learn the hard way. Anyway, after looking at the new G25 paragon it has a stereo option they call wakesub which is an additional 2 12' subs that are ported at the transom. The reason I liked this is that you don't have to have the stereo blasting if you're hanging out and it really enhanced the surfer experience. 

Has anyone done anything like this to a malibu? I'm more than capable of building it into mine, but I'd like to get some thoughts and feedback before I go cutting into my new boat!

The 24 MXZ stereo was total crap, but I have to say the M240 rocks as is with the dual XXX 12" wetsound subs and the extra cabin mids. 

Heres a quick link to a press release for the JL wakesub.

https://newerapr.com/jl-audio-unveils-wakesub-rider-focused-subwoofer-technology/

I havent heard the wake subs, so I dont know if they work. But it wouldnt be that hard to create a vented sub box that vent out. Do the math right and make sure the vent dimensions are correct. Downside is you will lose storage space, and make it even harder to work on the engine.

The link makes it look like the JL is in a bandpass enclosure. Bit more math involved.

Edited by COOP

I believe @robbieg247 was doing something like this.

I will say that I wasn't impressed with the wakesub on my friend's g23p. It reminded me of the rattling license plates you get from some cars with systems in the trunk. The rest of the system is very impressive imho.

Edited by G Spot

I have mixed thoughts on this transom subwoofer scheme. The big positive is the bass radiation potentially gets to a surfer or those hanging out behind the boat at rest without having to hammer the boat occupants, or jackhammer the helm. A bandpass enclosure has a narrower bandwidth in exchange for much higher output over that reduced range, which may be the right trade-off in this application. It's so hard for the bass energy to match the tower speakers at a distance behind the boat, so any compromise that allows you to get bass behind the boat is probably a good one. The negative is that the low bass radiates from the perimeter of the boat without benefit of the interior tub, and the bass has no surrounding surfaces to reinforce the output (other than the water surface). So whatever bass you are generating dissipates/evaporates quicker, meaning the subwoofer(s) and the power that drives the subs has to work harder than normal. Two 12-inch subs will help overcome that. I'm guessing it does a really good job when hanging out behind the boat at rest and is just enough at a short distance off the transom when surfing. Another side note is that a bandpass enclosure tends to naturally filter out the distortion products that clue you into when you're over-driving the subs. Thus, it's a little easier to do damage without realizing it. A good tune and some restraint will help keep the subs in operation. I would definitely audition the system before taking the plunge.              

On 7/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, COOP said:

I havent heard the wake subs, so I dont know if they work. But it wouldnt be that hard to create a vented sub box that vent out. Do the math right and make sure the vent dimensions are correct. Downside is you will lose storage space, and make it even harder to work on the engine.

The link makes it look like the JL is in a bandpass enclosure. Bit more math involved.

The M240 has all hard tanks in the sub floor, so with the PnP out of the equation, theirs a ton of space. I've build a lot of 4th orders both internally and externally ported, so the math isn't a concern for me.

5 hours ago, Kseiter said:

The M240 has all hard tanks in the sub floor, so with the PnP out of the equation, theirs a ton of space. I've build a lot of 4th orders both internally and externally ported, so the math isn't a concern for me.

You'll still need to get to the sides of the engine. 

The rear compartments of the m240 have more than enough space. If I ported the enclosure through the port and stern transom I shouldn’t have an issue with the engine.