Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunsetter LXi Fuel Pump

Hi All,  I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXi with 615 hours. Just recently at barefoot speeds (38-40) the engine would  occasionally hesitate for a split second, then it started happening at slalom speeds (26-30). THen the fuel pump started making a whining sound, and then significant hesitation pulling a skier out of the hole.  I changed the fuel filter, which really needed it, same results.  I am moving on to changing the fuel pump and cannot seem to confirm the correct part number.  

Am I on the right track, and can someone confirm a good number for the replacement?  Vortec 325Hp Monsoon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just replaced mine as well on my 99 Sportster after the same sort of issues and pump whinning. 

I bought mine from Ron at a rip off price but there are no other easy replacements available anymore. You can save like $100 and buy a Chinese replica on eBay but I hear they don’t get the right PSI.

if you look up my last thread on this you will see a whole lot of good advice and a video of my boats noises. 

the install was fairly straightforward and my fuel pressure came back immediately. 

now having an ECM issue right after the install, but I can’t seem to connect the dots on the two apart from maybe running my old pump and clogged filters overheated the engine and messed up my ECM. Don’t run it if it’s whinning. 

https://skiboatpartsonline.com/fuel-system-1854837265/Indmar-High-Pressure-fuel-pump-kit

Edited by mjbet91
3 minutes ago, Gara said:

I have a new fuel pump that i think was fo a 97 Response.  Part no. seems to be 710-861678A.

That's for a Mercruiser. Not a direct replacement. 

8 minutes ago, mjbet91 said:

I just replaced mine as well on my 99 Sportster after the same sort of issues and pump whinning. 

I bought mine from Ron at a rip off price but there are no other easy replacements available anymore. You can save like $100 and buy a Chinese replica on eBay but I hear they don’t get the right PSI.

if you look up my last thread on this you will see a whole lot of good advice and a video of my boats noises. 

the install was fairly straightforward and my fuel pressure came back immediately. 

now having an ECM issue right after the install, but I can’t seem to connect the dots on the two apart from maybe running my old pump and clogged filters overheated the engine and messed up my ECM. Don’t run it if it’s whinning. 

https://skiboatpartsonline.com/fuel-system-1854837265/Indmar-High-Pressure-fuel-pump-kit

I'm in the middle of a replacement project myself. Using the Carter P61171. Sourcing the necessary fittings has been the trickiest part so far but I should be all in on the pump and fittings for under 100 bucks. 

Will post an update when I get to swapping this next week. 

2 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I like Ron but that's robbery at that price. 

Ha!  Here's a ripoff.  https://www.bakesonline.com/indmar-556014-fuel-pump-conversion-kit-to-pierburg.html  That is just over $429 USD.  Compare and contrast.  Sorry - Ron gets my vote.  He is one of the very few that will ship to Canada without asking for your firstborn.

Edited by Eagleboy99
No reason

I'm in the middle of a replacement project myself. Using the Carter P61171. Sourcing the necessary fittings has been the trickiest part so far but I should be all in on the pump and fittings for under 100 bucks. 

Where did you find the Carter pump for well under $100?

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

No fuel loop.  You block off the return line.

And when you order the pump from Ron he includes the fitting to block it off 

1 hour ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Where did you find the Carter pump for well under $100?

It's 90 bucks on Amazon here. That, a $5 5/8-18 hose barb and a $2 plug and you're off to the races. 

6 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I spent the extra money on the one from Ron knowing there was a cheaper option with the 61171 in theory.  Note that the output adapter from the 3/8-24 threaded hole on the pump to the 3/8-16 inverted flare fitting for the fuel hose to the throttle body doesn't come with the P61171, isn't available separately from Carter, and isn't available from anyone online, and that’s why I wasted $250 more to get back on the water quicker. 

in hindsight, I probably could have changed it and got the P5000 kit, which is even cheaper than the 61171 and comes with the proper fittings, but isn’t technically marine rated. I’m pretty sure it would work but wouldn’t be 100% legal / certified for the use. 

13 minutes ago, mjbet91 said:

I spent the extra money on the one from Ron knowing there was a cheaper option with the 61171 in theory.  Note that the output adapter from the 3/8-24 threaded hole on the pump to the 3/8-16 inverted flare fitting for the fuel hose to the throttle body doesn't come with the P61171, isn't available separately from Carter, and isn't available from anyone online, and that’s why I wasted $250 more to get back on the water quicker. 

in hindsight, I probably could have changed it and got the P5000 kit, which is even cheaper than the 61171 and comes with the proper fittings, but isn’t technically marine rated. I’m pretty sure it would work but wouldn’t be 100% legal / certified for the use. 

Thought you simply reuse the existing fitting from the OEM pump on the output side. 

P5000 has been superseded by another kit that I can't recall just now. Even if I need to buy one of those to get one lousy fitting it's still cheaper. 

27 minutes ago, mjbet91 said:

in hindsight, I probably could have changed it and got the P5000 kit, which is even cheaper than the 61171 and comes with the proper fittings, but isn’t technically marine rated.

The Carter P5000 fuel pump is not approved for use in marine applications.  Which means your insurance is invalidated.  And don't think "they" don't check.

23 minutes ago, footndale said:

Seems to be inline with other retailers

The pump itself is 79 bucks on Rock Auto. I don't disagree that the pricing is inline with what you might find elsewhere but it's kinda bonkers how much more it costs with the fittings packaged. 

20 hours ago, DanZ said:

Hi All,  I have a 2002 Sunsetter LXi with 615 hours. Just recently at barefoot speeds (38-40) the engine would  occasionally hesitate for a split second, then it started happening at slalom speeds (26-30). THen the fuel pump started making a whining sound, and then significant hesitation pulling a skier out of the hole.  I changed the fuel filter, which really needed it, same results.  I am moving on to changing the fuel pump and cannot seem to confirm the correct part number.  

Am I on the right track, and can someone confirm a good number for the replacement?  Vortec 325Hp Monsoon.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

A little late, but did you check the screen on the bottom of pump? I'm assuming this model has it.

Thanks for all of the insight, greatly appreciate it.  I don't believe that this year had the screen.  I will be removing the pump this afternoon and will verify. That would be nice if it is simply a dirty screen.

The pump itself is 79 bucks on Rock Auto.

At that price it is worth buying one to keep as a backup.  Assuming you have/can find the fittings.

16 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Thought you simply reuse the existing fitting from the OEM pump on the output side. 

P5000 has been superseded by another kit that I can't recall just now. Even if I need to buy one of those to get one lousy fitting it's still cheaper. 

P90043 is the new number.  Just bought one. 

Not sure how a fuel pump could be anything but "marine rated"?  Most times with electrical that means spark protection.  I think that goes without saying when it's a fuel pump, no?...........

2 hours ago, Tracktor said:

P90043 is the new number.  Just bought one. 

Not sure how a fuel pump could be anything but "marine rated"?  Most times with electrical that means spark protection.  I think that goes without saying when it's a fuel pump, no?...........

Think it has an additional puncture resistant membrane or something.  Haven't bothered to look up the spec.

I was looking at the P90043.  Wasn't sure if it directly replaced the P5000 or not since I couldn't find a P5000 spec sheet.  I think they're the same in terms of GPH but not sure about pressure.