Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2002 Sunsetter LXi Fuel Pump

So, I guess I'm the only guy who would consider taking his old pump apart to rebuild it?  Anybody got an old one they want to sacrifice to the bench in hopes that it can be done?

10 minutes ago, justgary said:

So, I guess I'm the only guy who would consider taking his old pump apart to rebuild it?  Anybody got an old one they want to sacrifice to the bench in hopes that it can be done?

Nuts!  I just threw out my old one.  Was collecting dust on the bench; I'd have happily sent it to you.

8 hours ago, Tracktor said:

P90043 is the new number.  Just bought one. 

Not sure how a fuel pump could be anything but "marine rated"?  Most times with electrical that means spark protection.  I think that goes without saying when it's a fuel pump, no?...........

Be sure to let us know how that pump works out.  I saw "operating pressure" of 15 and passed on that option since I hadn't heard of anyone trying one yet.

I'd love to know if there's any physical difference in the pumps Carter produces.  The P61171 is specifically for OMC engines so I'm sure they had to get SAE J1171 certification for it.  I seriously doubt there's any physical difference between it and the P90043.  If so, the difference is all internal.

25 minutes ago, ROFF said:

Wonder what kind of motor it is.   May bring it back to life with some new brushes.   

It's usually carbon dust filling the commutator that does motors in.  Brushes and bearings almost always have plenty of life left in them. 

18 hours ago, justgary said:

I have the original one sitting on shelf.  Was thinking about tearing into it at some point out of curiousity but not sure when I will have time.  Send me an address if you want to do it just be patient on me getting around to shipping, lol...

I picked up the P90043 as a spare when I was having issues that turned out to be the high pressure side filter coming apart internally in less than a year.  So not sure when if ever I will actually need it.  Did find a few references of it being used with success however......

Completed my pump swap today.  Using a P61171.  I was able to reuse the output connector from my OEM pump, which was also a Carter from the looks of it.  The input was a giant pain though.  Couldn't find a hose barb connector with the required threads that wasn't a swiveling reverse-flare setup.  I ended up punting and also buying a P90043 just to get that one stupid fitting.

First test in the driveway is tomorrow.  Lake, hoping Tuesday or Wednesday.

BTW, these work great to plug the bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N17ZL8P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, ROFF said:

Did you get a chance to run it on the water?

Yep. Picked up 400 RPM on top end and holeshot seems to be better. This was with motorbox removed and unfettered cool air access. Will see how it likes being back in the doghouse next week when we ski it. 

On 8/2/2020 at 11:32 PM, UWSkier said:

Completed my pump swap today.  Using a P61171.  I was able to reuse the output connector from my OEM pump, which was also a Carter from the looks of it.  The input was a giant pain though.  Couldn't find a hose barb connector with the required threads that wasn't a swiveling reverse-flare setup.  I ended up punting and also buying a P90043 just to get that one stupid fitting.

First test in the driveway is tomorrow.  Lake, hoping Tuesday or Wednesday.

BTW, these work great to plug the bracket.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N17ZL8P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Would this work on  a 04 Response LXI? You have any pics or did miss that post?

No pics.  There are a number of fuel pump replacement threads with pics of my exact swap so figured it'd be redundant.

Your '04 might have had the "Pierburg" pump or an in-tank pump setup.  The Carter would probably work fine since it's universal, but it might not be an exact swap that uses the same brackets/mounting, etc.

1 hour ago, UWSkier said:

No pics.  There are a number of fuel pump replacement threads with pics of my exact swap so figured it'd be redundant.

Your '04 might have had the "Pierburg" pump or an in-tank pump setup.  The Carter would probably work fine since it's universal, but it might not be an exact swap that uses the same brackets/mounting, etc.

I'll have to look at pics. Pump is on passenger side.

Pierburg it is.

image.png.143d5a3b0d09b831ed044591456e8ce9.png

Edited by footndale

I just ordered a P61171 for my 1998 Sunsetter w/ MPI. The engine would only hit about 4400 RPM at WOT and was slow. Fuel pressure was 40 psi through low-mid range and 32 at WOT. Started looking around the fuel system and noticed my pump was stamped "TBI 25 PSI".  I'm thinking previous owner may have installed the wrong pump? Anyways, my question is about the inlet fitting. Specs say its 5/8-18 and uses an oring, but SAE straight thread ORB in 5/8-18 doesn't seem to exist. I'm going to try Carter's tech line but I'm thinking UWSkier was right to just order the second pump with the fitting. Also thinking about ordering the fitting below and seeing if I can find an oring to work with it. 

https://agscompany.com/product/brass-fuel-connector-3-8-hose-male-5-8-18-inverted/

4 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

Also thinking about ordering the fitting below and seeing if I can find an oring to work with it. 

The special fitting must exist somewhere: all the kits have it.  

17 minutes ago, Wolverine said:

I just ordered a P61171 for my 1998 Sunsetter w/ MPI. The engine would only hit about 4400 RPM at WOT and was slow. Fuel pressure was 40 psi through low-mid range and 32 at WOT. Started looking around the fuel system and noticed my pump was stamped "TBI 25 PSI".  I'm thinking previous owner may have installed the wrong pump? Anyways, my question is about the inlet fitting. Specs say its 5/8-18 and uses an oring, but SAE straight thread ORB in 5/8-18 doesn't seem to exist. I'm going to try Carter's tech line but I'm thinking UWSkier was right to just order the second pump with the fitting. Also thinking about ordering the fitting below and seeing if I can find an oring to work with it. 

https://agscompany.com/product/brass-fuel-connector-3-8-hose-male-5-8-18-inverted/

Give that a try.  If it works, you'll be a hero to many.  :)  The shoulder of the fitting needs to bottom on the shoulder of the pump with the O ring squashed between them.

It looks similar to the fitting that comes with the Carter non-marine pumps.  Those do have an O ring that you slip over the threads.  Any O ring from an assorted O ring pack that fits should do just fine.  Also, despite there being folks who say not to, I followed Larry from Indmar's instructions and used some fuel-safe thread sealer on the fittings when I put them together.  Did the same on the bracket plug.

BTW, be ready to soak up lots of fuel when you remove that bracket-to-pump fuel line.  I couldn't believe how much drained out of there when I removed that thing.

Edited by UWSkier
1 minute ago, UWSkier said:

BTW, be ready to soak up lots of fuel when you remove that bracket-to-pump fuel line.  I couldn't believe how much drained out of there when I removed that thing.

You did turn the fuel shut-off, right?  When I changed mine out, there was very little fuel that came out.

4 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

You did turn the fuel shut-off, right?  When I changed mine out, there was very little fuel that came out.

Yes.  Removing it drains down the fuel rails, and any fuel in the return line that's higher than the bracket.  Ends up being a fair amount.

Edited by UWSkier

Thanks for the advice, for a few bucks I'll give it a try. I agree it depends how the shoulder interfaces with the pump so we'll see when the parts arrive. My system has a shrader valve in the line going to the rail that I used  to drain the fuel last time I had it apart. I'm not sure if that's the typical location because the indmar manual shows it elsewhere.

5 minutes ago, JasonK said:

There's a fuel shutoff ?switch?

Used to be.  Malibu ditched it in 2003 I think... whenever they went from 3/8 to 1/2 i.d. fuel line.  They replaced it with an anti-siphon valve at the fuel tank pickup.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:08 AM, Wolverine said:

Did you try this @Wolverine?

• 8 months later...
On 8/20/2020 at 9:08 AM, Wolverine said:

For grins I ordered one of these and threaded it into my spare pump. It's a fit, however you'll need an O ring to seal it. Would be better with a washer of some sort to squash the O ring in place. 

This photo has 2 o rings. Smaller diameter fits inside the inlet with the larger forming an outer seal. I didn't test it for leaks. Would also recommend using a fuel safe thread sealer at install time if going this route. 

PXL_20210506_004717694.jpg

32 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

For grins I ordered one of these and threaded it into my spare pump. It's a fit, however you'll need an O ring to seal it. Would be better with a washer of some sort to squash the O ring in place. 

This photo has 2 o rings. Smaller diameter fits inside the inlet with the larger forming an outer seal. I didn't test it for leaks. Would also recommend using a fuel safe thread sealer at install time if going this route. 

PXL_20210506_004717694.jpg

Nice.  The barb is on the suction end, isn't it?  If so, it will be easier to seal than if it were on the pressure end.