Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spotify on media screen?

Nicodenunzio

I am I new owner of a 2021 23MXZ and would like to download Spotify on my media screen. The app does not show up on the Amazon app store app, and when I search for it on the internet it says the Spotify app is not compatible with my device. 

I know I've seen people with Spotify downloaded on their media screen, is there some way around this? Or is it just not allowed anymore. 

• 1 month later...

I have not played with the apps on the new boat, so I have a couple questions and comments:

• How does the boat get the internet feed?  I assume you just hot-spot your phone and it feeds off of there, correct?
    • If so, that's unfortunate vs implementing at Android Auto / CarPlay as an option.  This would then not eat your limited hotspot data while still getting the same result and probably a better interface
  • I assume you can still use Bluetooth and stream that way, along with get music data displayed and control pause/tracks
    • Does Malibu offer low-loss codecs like AptX?
  • I find it incredibly odd that Amazon's software was used, since it is just a modified Android
    • Has anyone tried side-loading apps, Google Play, or the Google Play alternatives?
    • Is the Amazon store available?  Spotify is on it for their other devices

The idea would be using WiFi at your house and locally saving the playlists you would want, so they can be played offline by Spotify. One of the lakes we frequent has little-to-no service, so that's my mode of operation when playing from Spotify on my phone.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I have not played with the apps on the new boat, so I have a couple questions and comments:

• How does the boat get the internet feed?  I assume you just hot-spot your phone and it feeds off of there, correct?
    • If so, that's unfortunate vs implementing at Android Auto / CarPlay as an option.  This would then not eat your limited hotspot data while still getting the same result and probably a better interface
  • I assume you can still use Bluetooth and stream that way, along with get music data displayed and control pause/tracks
    • Does Malibu offer low-loss codecs like AptX?
  • I find it incredibly odd that Amazon's software was used, since it is just a modified Android
    • Has anyone tried side-loading apps, Google Play, or the Google Play alternatives?
    • Is the Amazon store available?  Spotify is on it for their other devices

You can't use Google Play I read on another tread that if it was on there Malibu would have pre install all the other google crap email, drive, you tube etc... plus I'm sure $$$$ has to do with it.
I installed Spotify via Amazon play on my 20 and its been working flawlessly all summer. To update my playlists I just power the boat up in the driveway and it updates them.

I'm still patiently waiting for the day when I can install the Navionics app.

13 minutes ago, dcarl said:

You can't use Google Play I read on another tread that if it was on there Malibu would have pre install all the other google crap email, drive, you tube etc... plus I'm sure $$$$ has to do with it.
I installed Spotify via Amazon play on my 20 and its been working flawlessly all summer. To update my playlists I just power the boat up in the driveway and it updates them.

I'm still patiently waiting for the day when I can install the Navionics app.

Google play is ending around the end of the year. Im not sure what happened but google play is being phased out/replaced by youtube music

1 minute ago, 06malibu said:

Google play is ending around the end of the year. Im not sure what happened but google play is being phased out/replaced by youtube music

My bad I meant the Play Store

18 minutes ago, dcarl said:

I realize Google Play (store) is not available / installed, since this is Amazon based, as that is a standard for all Amazon products.  My question one has anyone tried side-loading the Google Play store?  That is very possible (been there, done that on cheap Fire tablets I've used for home automation stuff where the apps needed are available Amazon's store).  

2 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

I realize Google Play (store) is not available / installed, since this is Amazon based, as that is a standard for all Amazon products.  My question one has anyone tried side-loading the Google Play store?  That is very possible (been there, done that on cheap Fire tablets I've used for home automation stuff where the apps needed are available Amazon's store).  

That would be awesome if it were possible,  would open up a ton more app possibilities.   I've even been too afraid to try even loading an Navionics APK I found in the net.

• 3 months later...

Just picked up our ‘21 23lsv a couple weeks ago and tried downloading Spotify today. There is no Spotify app on the Amazon App Store. Went to the browser and found it in the Amazon store and it said it isn’t compatible. Seriously disappointing. Any updates on a fix? 

Edited by SandS
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

It's an issue where spotify updated the app and made it incompatible. Medallion is working with them to fix it.

Thanks for the information.  Hopefully they get through this relatively quickly.  I can't imagine why spotify would do that.  

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Thanks for the information.  Hopefully they get through this relatively quickly.  I can't imagine why spotify would do that.  

Spotify is a heckuva lot larger than MedallionIS.  Tail, dog, wagging and all that.  (Aside:  how is it that open systems close up so fast?)

7 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Spotify is a heckuva lot larger than MedallionIS.  Tail, dog, wagging and all that.  (Aside:  how is it that open systems close up so fast?)

I totally understand that.  However, I would like to use Spotify from my new boat.  I use it nearly exclusively with the exception of a few things I can't find there.  I would rather not have to stream over bluetooth or have to plug my phone in to use Spotify.  

• 3 months later...
19 hours ago, travis5550 said:

@Slayer @Nicodenunzio @Rosen822 have you all had any luck downloading Spotify or even an alternative like Pandora? We are getting our 2021 21 VLX next week so really hoping there has been some resolution since January. Thanks!

Ive been able to download Amazon music and Tidal. Both work. 

On 4/10/2021 at 7:32 PM, travis5550 said:

@Slayer @Nicodenunzio @Rosen822 have you all had any luck downloading Spotify or even an alternative like Pandora? We are getting our 2021 21 VLX next week so really hoping there has been some resolution since January. Thanks!

I should have the boat home on Saturday.  Hopefully I'll find some time to play with this then, so I can't answer any questions.

16 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

Ive been able to download Amazon music and Tidal. Both work. 

Thanks for the update.