Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water pump broke

25 minutes ago, Pilotguy said:

I haven’t seen that but it looks like it could have been misaligned causing stress on the shaft. Fairly easy fix though. 

The belt shredded earlier this summer and i had it replaced. I’m in the middle of taking the pump off and found this. Pretty sure this is supposed to have a nut on it. Could this be the culprit?

A7075331-1291-4C31-926B-8DD9DFCBC5E7.jpeg

ahopkins22LSV

Um, that’s an engine mount. And yes it’s supposed to have a nut on it. Were you getting bad vibrations? The engine may have been vibrating causing the pump to break free

1 hour ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Um, that’s an engine mount. And yes it’s supposed to have a nut on it. Were you getting bad vibrations? The engine may have been vibrating causing the pump to break free

I do realize it is the engine mount and was being a little sarcastic. But no i wasn’t having a bad vibration. I idled out from my dock to check on a stranded jet ski and took off and noticed some white smoke and a noise and stopped. I was thinking the same thing may have happened. Can’t imagine how the nut could have come off without a noticeable vibration over a period of time. Think i can just replace the nut or should i take and get alignment checked?

• 3 weeks later...

Update on broke water pump.  I installed a new water pump and replaced the motor mount nut. Got the boat out and within 15 minutes the water pump bracket broke and the belt started to shred and came off.  Any thoughts?

You said you shredded a belt earlier this summer also. Check your alternator bracket to ensure it or the bolts are not cracked and allowing it to move. If that's good, check your recirc pump pulley and shaft. 

If it's neither of those things, it's an uh oh situation. 

Edited by UWSkier
6 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

You said you shredded a belt earlier this summer also. Check your alternator bracket to ensure it or the bolts are not cracked and allowing it to move. If that's good, check your recirc pump pulley and shaft. 

If it's neither of those things, it's an uh oh situation. 

Will check when I get back down to the boat.  What would be the uh oh situation?

My front pulley wobbles just a bit, which causes the pump to wobble a lot.  When I got the boat, the pump did not have a bolt in the bracket.  A few years later, I had to rebuild the pump so I added a bolt to the bracket.  Since it wobbles, I made sure that the pump has room for motion in the grommet with the bolt in place.  Your motion may be a little more than mine, so leaving the bolt out is an option.  The hoses keep the pump from rotating, so the bolt doesn't really add a whole lot.

8 minutes ago, justgary said:

My front pulley wobbles just a bit, which causes the pump to wobble a lot.  When I got the boat, the pump did not have a bolt in the bracket.  A few years later, I had to rebuild the pump so I added a bolt to the bracket.  Since it wobbles, I made sure that the pump has room for motion in the grommet with the bolt in place.  Your motion may be a little more than mine, so leaving the bolt out is an option.  The hoses keep the pump from rotating, so the bolt doesn't really add a whole lot.

I was definitely wobbling.  It looked like it was going to wobble off.  

16 minutes ago, SkiingPT said:

I was definitely wobbling.  It looked like it was going to wobble off.  

Maybe you can shim behind the new one to make it rotate a little more true.

1 hour ago, SkiingPT said:

Will check when I get back down to the boat.  What would be the uh oh situation?

Lower pulley out of alignment probably not a good thing since that's mounted on the crank 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Update to my water pump issue. Took the raw water pump off and have a bad wobble/vibration in the pulley. I would post a video but don’t know how. Could it be the harmonic balancer?

20 minutes ago, SkiingPT said:

Update to my water pump issue. Took the raw water pump off and have a bad wobble/vibration in the pulley. I would post a video but don’t know how. Could it be the harmonic balancer?

Upload your video to youtube, then post the link here.

22 minutes ago, SkiingPT said:

I would hope so.  Don't know how you would possibly bend the crank snout.

You sure the pulley/balancer is fully attached to the crank? - Bolt is still there and tight?

Edited by oldjeep

Holy crap - whole balancer is moving.  If I had to guess I would say that the balancer rubber has come apart

If it were me I would remove the balancer and then start it up again for a moment looking for wobble in the crank snout if it doesn't appear that the balancer rubber has just come apart.

So I think I would pull the balancer and mount to a solid pointer on the engine or hardware so you have something showing near zero clearance on the nose of the crank. If you don't have the equipment you could just clamp something So you are at near zero clearance at a point at the front side of  the crank snout. Now using a bolt in the crank slowly hand turn the crank and see if it does not show any wobble. You may want to pull the spark plugs to make turning the engine over easy.  If the balancer has been bad for some time and it sounds as it was you could have other issues. Do you show any oil leaks at the crank seal.  I think you have found all your water pump and belt issues. Hope it an easy fix.

33 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

That's the uh oh situation I was talking about...  Hope it's just the balancer like OJ said.  No obvious oil leakage behind the balancer at the crank stub, right?

No oil leaks

• 10 months later...

Where you able to save the engine or did you have to rebuild? I am having the exact same issue. 

Edited by Imedrano
40 minutes ago, Imedrano said:

Where you able to save the engine or did you have to rebuild? I am having the exact same issue. 

If you don't have an oil leak or a bent crank (very unlikely), change the harmonic balancer.