Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this thick yellow liquid look right?

DarenCunningham

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, DarenCunningham said:

I thought I'd post an update.  Thank you all who responded and helped!!!!   AND....you all were spot on!  The water jacket was cracked internally from the previous owner not winterizing properly (or at all).  I'd also like to thank mikeo for the pat on the back...lol.  This is my first inboard and malibu, so I was pretty disheartened that someone sold me a boat broken to this level.  I dropped the boat off at the dealer on July 31st and finally got it back November 12th.  Due to Covid,  they could not get a V-drive.  They finally did get the parts to build me one and the dealer got it back up and running.  I guess at least I get to spend the winter polishing on her and look forward to 2021 Lake Time!  Thanks again to all of you for putting up with all my questions ( and being a Noob ).

2021 will be a whole lot better

1 hour ago, justgary said:

You know something we don't? 

No, I am the last person to know and you probably should not take the 2021 positive outlook post to have anything to do with anything other than the OP has a newly repaired boat to escape on 

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Bozboat said:

No, I am the last person to know and you probably should not take the 2021 positive outlook post to have anything to do with anything other than the OP has a newly repaired boat to escape on 

That sounds like a great plan.

@DarenCunningham, here's to your new boat and the many hours of carefree fun you will have with it!

19 hours ago, DarenCunningham said:

I thought I'd post an update.  Thank you all who responded and helped!!!!   AND....you all were spot on!  The water jacket was cracked internally from the previous owner not winterizing properly (or at all).  I'd also like to thank mikeo for the pat on the back...lol.  This is my first inboard and malibu, so I was pretty disheartened that someone sold me a boat broken to this level.  I dropped the boat off at the dealer on July 31st and finally got it back November 12th.  Due to Covid,  they could not get a V-drive.  They finally did get the parts to build me one and the dealer got it back up and running.  I guess at least I get to spend the winter polishing on her and look forward to 2021 Lake Time!  Thanks again to all of you for putting up with all my questions ( and being a Noob ).

Don't dispair.  Part of boat ownership is having dumb stuff go wrong (and sometimes expensive stuff!)  Welcome to the club and fingers crossed you have better luck next year.

• Like 2
On 7/23/2020 at 5:06 PM, jmack said:

It is a very "yellow" fluid, but it should be transparent like most gear oil, not thick and frothy like in your picture. Unless your bilge has been flooded, I suspect you have an internal water leak going on......

Mobile delvac and Mobile Delvac 1 are actually red. 

https://www.mobil.com/en-ee/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/gl-xx-mobil-delvac-synthetic-atf

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-businesses/heavy-duty-lubricants/products/mobil-delvac-1-atf/

The Indmar branded Delvac is yellow. 

11 hours ago, COOP said:

Now I got to go look at my jug cause I swear it was not red. I see the specs say red.

9 hours ago, COOP said:

The Mobile Delvac I have here is red.

I have been able to get it from Napa.

I just went out and looked at the bottle I bought from Summit Racing 2 years ago. It is amber color like all normal motor oils.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 5:35 PM, dalt1 said:

I just went out and looked at the bottle I bought from Summit Racing 2 years ago. It is amber color like all normal motor oils.

Same here - it's amber colored, but more "yellow" than most standard gear oils.. Make sure we're all comparing apples to apples - Mobil Delvac SAE 50 Synthetic Transmission Fluid is what is called for in these V-Drives. There are a lot of lubricants under the "Mobil Delvac" branding.

Depending on the V-Drive there are two fluid reservoirs; I have an Indmar-Vee drive and it calls for two fluids.
The yellow screw plug takes "Mobil Delvac Synthetic 50" which is a yellow colored gear oil, the red screw plug takes Dexron 3 which is red transmission fluid. 

The yellow screw plug is further towards the bow and on the port (passenger) side of the unit, the red screw plug is towards the stern and on the starboard (driver) side of the unit.
I cant get a picture, but if you look at the picture here: (3rd post in this thread)

the red screw plug would be out of frame in the top right.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 9:51 AM, COOP said:

I looked at the links and that's for the Synthetic ATF, not the Synthetic SAE 50 weight that goes in the V-Drive. The Delvac 1 SAE 50 Synthetic is described as "Amber".