Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is this thick yellow liquid look right?

DarenCunningham

Hey All,

Just purchased a 2015 23LSV.  Boat ran great this past weekend, but after I got it home I found this going over it.  I'm not sure if it's the transmission or V-drive dipstick (it's yellow) and the other is Red.  Its full of thick yellow fluid.  I'm guessing water got in there.  Anybody Know???

IMG_0474 (1).JPG

If that's you vdrive, there's water in the oil. It's mixed together and milky  The red should be in the transmission.

• Like 2

Thank you for the help.  I'll extract it out and refill till clear and see what it does.

52 minutes ago, DarenCunningham said:

Thank you for the help.  I'll extract it out and refill till clear and see what it does.

Those big hoses are water hoses to cool the unit.  If there's water in your V drive, good chance it wasn't winterized properly and cracked.  I don't know if this is something serviceable or you're looking at a replacement unit.

9 hours ago, UWSkier said:

Those big hoses are water hoses to cool the unit.  If there's water in your V drive, good chance it wasn't winterized properly and cracked.  I don't know if this is something serviceable or you're looking at a replacement unit.

If it cracked, would it not be leaking out?  It's very clean under the engine and v-drive.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

The crack would be in the water jacket

I see...well, I hope not.  I bet the Vdrive is expensive to replace.  Thanks..

if it's a '15 with an Indmar engine, then it's going to be an Indmar v-drive too. The gear oil called for in the manual is:

v-drive: 1.25 quarts (1.18L) Mobil Delvac Synthetic 50
main gearbox: 2.3 quarts (2.12L) Dexron 3

I had to order the Mobil Delvac Synthetic 50 from Grainer, and it was available same-day from a local store. The transmission (main gearbox) takes Dexron 3, available at any auto parts store. I remember reading somewhere (maybe the Indmar manual) that Dexron 3 is "unique" and required, Dexron 4 does NOT supersede  Dexron 3, at least for our boats.

I'm sure @oldjeep can correct me, or provide more guidance, on the gear oil and transmission fluid.

When I change my v-drive gear oil I can never get it all out with a vacuum pump so I just get as much out as I can and refill to the proper level on the dipstick. Since you have water in the oil, you may want to get a bit more aggressive in looking for a way to drain from the bottom or find a way to cycle fluid through to try to get as much water out as possible.

Two more things:

1. Congrats on the purchase, you'll get past this and love the boat.
2. Did you buy it from a private party or was there a dealer involved? If there was a dealer involved who signed off on the boat being "good to go" you might be able to get them to work on the v-drive for you. (long shot)

Only comment I have is that you won't find anything labeled dextron 3 in big letters since that  name is not licenced any more.  You'll typically find it labeled as dex/Merc with a note below that is dextron 3/ Mercon compatible.

15955027340402876503916287610853.jpg

9 hours ago, mikeo said:

if it's a '15 with an Indmar engine, then it's going to be an Indmar v-drive too. The gear oil called for in the manual is:

v-drive: 1.25 quarts (1.18L) Mobil Delvac Synthetic 50
main gearbox: 2.3 quarts (2.12L) Dexron 3

I had to order the Mobil Delvac Synthetic 50 from Grainer, and it was available same-day from a local store. The transmission (main gearbox) takes Dexron 3, available at any auto parts store. I remember reading somewhere (maybe the Indmar manual) that Dexron 3 is "unique" and required, Dexron 4 does NOT supersede  Dexron 3, at least for our boats.

I'm sure @oldjeep can correct me, or provide more guidance, on the gear oil and transmission fluid.

When I change my v-drive gear oil I can never get it all out with a vacuum pump so I just get as much out as I can and refill to the proper level on the dipstick. Since you have water in the oil, you may want to get a bit more aggressive in looking for a way to drain from the bottom or find a way to cycle fluid through to try to get as much water out as possible.

Two more things:

1. Congrats on the purchase, you'll get past this and love the boat.
2. Did you buy it from a private party or was there a dealer involved? If there was a dealer involved who signed off on the boat being "good to go" you might be able to get them to work on the v-drive for you. (long shot)

Thank you for the advice and help!!!  I bought from an individual, but did talk to the service manager that has always serviced the boat since new.  He says since I'm checking it at home in my garage that I'm not checking it correctly, and I need to check it with the engine at operating temperature and running, which I wasn't.  He did not seem concerned at all.  He says air and sometimes condensation gets in there an makes the fluid yellow and sees that all the time in the shop environment.  He told me he knew the boat well and it was taken care of and to check it again when I have it in water and running.  You guys think he's right?  Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to these types of boats.  I've had pontoons in the past.

51 minutes ago, DarenCunningham said:

Thank you for the advice and help!!!  I bought from an individual, but did talk to the service manager that has always serviced the boat since new.  He says since I'm checking it at home in my garage that I'm not checking it correctly, and I need to check it with the engine at operating temperature and running, which I wasn't.  He did not seem concerned at all.  He says air and sometimes condensation gets in there an makes the fluid yellow and sees that all the time in the shop environment.  He told me he knew the boat well and it was taken care of and to check it again when I have it in water and running.  You guys think he's right?  Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to these types of boats.  I've had pontoons in the past.

I agree with @solorex that the service manager isn't correct. The fluid I get out of my v-drive looks the same as the stuff that comes out of the bottle: like new clean gear oil., As soon as it gets frothy or thick then there is an issue. You could pull the fluid out with a vacuum pump and put it in a mason jar to let it settle, I'm sure you'll get some water at the bottom of the jar within an hour or so.

While nobody wants to, we'd all rather be on the water, the biggest PITA is going to be getting the v-drive and transmission out of the boat. If there is an internal issue it's going to need some time on a bench to fix it. Trying to fix it in the boat is going to end up messing up other things (interior upholstery, etc.)

On 7/21/2020 at 11:04 PM, twitchee2 said:

Thats your V-drive.  Should be just gear oil in there but that looks like water in the oil.

Yep, the additive pack emulsifying the water....

2 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Which engine have you got?  Look in the manual and buy whatever it says in terms of type and weight.  Some engines require synthetic, others don't.  My 5.7L just gets regular Delo 400sde 15w40

Its the LS3 427.  The manual says 5W-30 Mobile 1 and the oil filler cap says Dexos SAE 5W-30.  Neither say anything about synthetic, unless that's what Dexos means.

I have the same boat and same drivetrain. That is the correct engine oil - 5W-30 Dexos.

As others have said, you definitely have a problem with the V-drive. The fluid in mine always looks fresh and clean. The Mobil Delvac Syn 50 that it calls for is hard to find - I haven't found anyone who carries it in store, and I could only find in in gallon jugs. I found it cheapest at Summit Racing. It is a very "yellow" fluid, but it should be transparent like most gear oil, not thick and frothy like in your picture. Unless your bilge has been flooded, I suspect you have an internal water leak going on......

5 minutes ago, jmack said:

I have the same boat and same drivetrain. That is the correct engine oil - 5W-30 Dexos.

As others have said, you definitely have a problem with the V-drive. The fluid in mine always looks fresh and clean. The Mobil Delvac Syn 50 that it calls for is hard to find - I haven't found anyone who carries it in store, and I could only find in in gallon jugs. I found it cheapest at Summit Racing. It is a very "yellow" fluid, but it should be transparent like most gear oil, not thick and frothy like in your picture. Unless your bilge has been flooded, I suspect you have an internal water leak going on......

Thanks jmack.  What does the Dexos mean?   The manual says 5W-30 Mobile 1, which I can find.

7 minutes ago, DarenCunningham said:

Thanks jmack.  What does the Dexos mean?   The manual says 5W-30 Mobile 1, which I can find.

Dexos is a rating.  You can get a few oils that meet it including castol synthetic and amazon basics synthetic.