Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2020 23MXZ Surf Setup

akbu

Got our new 23MXZ a few weeks ago and we've been loving every second spent on it! I apologize if this has been covered somewhere deep in the forums, but i was wondering if someone could give me some tips on where to put led for a better surf wave? 

Someone mentioned adding 150lbs to the bow anchor locker, which really helped.

Seems like the boat likes to be surfed at around 11.3-11.5mph

Are you running into a washy goofy wave? My friend has been having a hard time cleaning up his goofy wave as is another person he rides with, same boat 2020 23 mxz

300lbs in port locker everything full and wedge at 1 has been the cleanest. 

Also check that your bags are installed right, and not twisted. 

the wave is only washy when we're going under 11 mph, its usually pretty clean and crisp otherwise. i was just wondering if there is anything particular that i could do to make it better.

Which side are you having trouble with? Typically the goofy wave is easier to clean up than the port wave. 

What’s your ballast setup, wedge settings, passenger placement and typical speeds where you’re seeing the wash? Any pics would be helpful too.

trying to dial in the port wave. 

new to wake boats so right now I have just been loading "surf left" from the presets, letting the ballasts all fill to 100% and riding. I assumed that this would be the most ideal setup?

Congrats on the new boat, BTW! The port/regular wave is always harder to clean up because of the direction of the prop rotation. I'll assume you have PNP bags as well as the stock ballast tanks. 

I haven't surfed a 23 MXZ yet but am pretty used to the 23 LSV and have driven the 24 MXZ a few times, so have a couple thoughts. First, I used to think 11.0-11.2 was good for my 2019 23 LSV but kept bumping it up and found that 11.4-11.5 was better. So if you're happy with the wave in that speed range and comfortable surfing there, no reason to try to go slower just because the factory hasn't updated their presets since 2015.

Secondly, there's a couple things you can do to get more curl/lip on the port side, regardless of speed. One would be to only fill the starboard rear tank to 50-75%, with everything else full. The other would be to add some extra weight on the port side. Both are really doing the same thing physically to how the boat rides in the water, so I'd play with dropping the non-surf side tank first and see if you like that.

How much wedge you're using can also impact how washy the wave is. If you're seeing wash, back off the wedge a click or two and it should clean up as the surfgates are then able to deflect more water.

As for what you're looking for, this was literally my first wave on my 2019. I either had the starboard rears at 50% for this, or had already added 200-250 lbs of lead in the bow and port side, with all tanks full, to do just what I'm saying above.

IMG_9920.JPG

• Like 2

Wow, NWBU! Thank you for the reply, that's extremely helpful. I'll give that shot on saturday and report back with some pictures if needed.

Thanks again for the advice! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, akbu said:

Wow, NWBU! Thank you for the reply, that's extremely helpful. I'll give that shot on saturday and report back with some pictures if needed.

Thanks again for the advice! 

How did it do?

still waiting on some lead bags to get delivered...that's taking forever. But with the wedge at 1, speed at around 11.5, and starboard tank at 75% has produced a pretty darn good wave. cant wait for the lead to get here

I found I was doing 2 things wrong together - too much weight and too much wedge.  In other words, I was slamming all the ballast plus the PnP bags, then doing wedge just a few down from Stow, and I could never understand why everything sucked.  Now I go 75% on starboard, 100% on port, and wedge 2 or 3 clicks from Lift, and it makes a world of difference - much smoother and longer wave.  I still have a lot to learn to optimize it but it is much better - and we surf at 10.9 mph.

31 minutes ago, Leftlane said:

I found I was doing 2 things wrong together - too much weight and too much wedge.  In other words, I was slamming all the ballast plus the PnP bags, then doing wedge just a few down from Stow, and I could never understand why everything sucked.  Now I go 75% on starboard, 100% on port, and wedge 2 or 3 clicks from Lift, and it makes a world of difference - much smoother and longer wave.  I still have a lot to learn to optimize it but it is much better - and we surf at 10.9 mph.

Biggest error everyone makes.. we are use to old boats and wakeboarding where more was always better.  With surfing balance matters just as much as how much.  I did the exact same thing on my 2019 first time out (and I thought Malibu's presets would be a good start.. they aren't!)

On 7/21/2020 at 2:25 PM, akbu said:

Got our new 23MXZ a few weeks ago and we've been loving every second spent on it! I apologize if this has been covered somewhere deep in the forums, but i was wondering if someone could give me some tips on where to put led for a better surf wave? 

Someone mentioned adding 150lbs to the bow anchor locker, which really helped.

Seems like the boat likes to be surfed at around 11.3-11.5mph

With a 150 pounds how did u not break your plastic cubby our boats come with?

I agree with the OP.  The stock setting on my 2020 23 MXZ make a great wave for port/regular surfing but it was terrible for starboard/goofy surfing.  I run about 300 lbs of lead spaced around the front of the boat, had to only fill the port tank to 75% max, wedge at 3 and speed HAS to be 11.6-11.8.  This is what finally cleaned up the lip for me. 

for whatever reason, this is the first Malibu I’ve owned where the regular wave was easier to dial in than the goofy.  

on a side note I’m not really happy with how low the bow is to the water on this boat.  Even with the lead out, it’s a big difference from the LSV line which makes it a headache when trying to go slow in choppy waters.  

Hopefully that helps.  

Can everyone please tell me which pnp bags are you guys using? The WakeMakers site shows 475lbs or 580lbs for options. Which should I order for my 2021 23 MXZ.

• 1 month later...

What engine are you guys running in the 23 MHZ?  Looking to order one, annoying having trouble with getting going with full ballast?

Very encouraged with the comments on the surf wake, I am thinking this will be a significant step up from our 20 22 LSV especially when we have a light crew.

I have the M6DI. I couldn't imagine why anyone would order a 23 MXZ with the M5. I have no problem with getting to surf speed with full ballast, plug and play and 8-10 people on board. 

Surf wave is sick, but your boats no slouch. 

On 10/5/2020 at 12:02 AM, dwc032 said:

I have the M6DI. I couldn't imagine why anyone would order a 23 MXZ with the M5. I have no problem with getting to surf speed with full ballast, plug and play and 8-10 people on board. 

Surf wave is sick, but your boats no slouch. 

Thanks for the response.  There was one poster that with a 24 MXZ that was having problems with the M6DI but that boat is much heavier than the 23 MXZ.  Just looking for success stories on the configuration.  :-)

Week days I take a dad or two out and 4 to six kids that might average 90 pounds.  Have a hard time with bow rise given no crew weight when I try and build a dad wave with the kids that want to be in the back anyway.   Needing 300 pounds of lead on weekdays and none on weekends makes things complicated to keep setup.  Also have never figured to how to explain to my wife that our new boat needs bags of lead in the walkway to work well.  

I know I’m the odd man out, but I never have and never will put lead in my boat. The 23 MXZ does just fine without it. But that’s my opinion. 

• Like 2