Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Malibu

mjones603

Hi Guys, 

Looking at a 2003 Malibu Sportster.  Boat was owned by a local summer camp and was used as a backup vessel.  Has 600 hours.  Currently on consignment at the local boat yard, and has been under their supervision for some time.  The owner of the boat yard says it runs great.  They are summarizing it now.  Other than the interior having some sun bleaching the boat appears to be respectable shape.   Does anyone have any suggestions on what to look out for?  Also what are these things typically selling at?  Any info would be much appreciated!

IMG_6389.jpg

Edited by mjones603

I've got a Sportster and love it for what we use it for - mainly slalom with some wakeboarding and air chair every now and then. They are great multi-sport tow boats and are a blast to drive but with that being said they do have some disadvantages. A few of questions: 1) What boat (if any) are you coming from? 2) What do you plan to use this boat for? 3) How rough does your lake get?

These boats like smooth water and if you have a lot of chop on your lake, depending on what you're used to in a boat, you might find the ride a lot rougher. Also these things sit LOW in the water. If you load it down with a lot of people or ballast you'll need to be careful not to take on water over the side or front - the closed bow helps a lot with this; ours is open bow.

Hours are still fairly low so if it's been properly maintained I wouldn't think you'll have any major issues. It looks in great shape from the picture. In this era of boat the gauges are known to fail and OEM replacements are obsolete so you may be dealing with some of that. Otherwise, maybe some minor electrical gremlins so check and be sure all the accessories work - blower, bilge, stereo, horn, nav lights, interior lights, dash lights, etc. Basically turn all the switches. If anything doesn't work that could be a bargaining point. Check the running gear and make sure it's in good shape - no prop dings, very little play in the rudder and prop shaft. A lake test is a must - have the guy start it from cold and see how it cranks up. Notice any vibrations when you're on the water.

I'm less informed about prices these days but here are my thoughts: You have several "less desirable" things about this boat that should help bring the price down for you: direct drive, closed bow, no tower, no wedge and maybe no stereo now that I'm looking at it. If its carbureted vs. fuel injected that's another detracting factor. These are not necessarily bad things - just things that decrease demand for this boat and therefore should decrease price. You can check onlyinboards.com and see what they're selling for too. 

sportster is a pretty fun boat to drive, unfortunately the prices on them in our area are all over the place.  as @drh states, they do not like rough water much, and they sit very low in the water.  nice soft slalom wakes, if it has the wedge its ok to wakeboard behind, but basically a no frills boat, easy to maintain and use.  What are they asking for it?  I had tried to buy one late last fall, wayyy more hours, also a former camp boat, and it had a tower, it sold for under $5k, but needed a full new interior.  There is one near us that has been for sale for 4 years, they are asking 16.5k for it last time I stopped to look at it, and it needs a lot of work, its been outside uncovered all summer for most of that time.

2 hours ago, drh said:

I've got a Sportster and love it for what we use it for - mainly slalom with some wakeboarding and air chair every now and then. They are great multi-sport tow boats and are a blast to drive but with that being said they do have some disadvantages. A few of questions: 1) What boat (if any) are you coming from? 2) What do you plan to use this boat for? 3) How rough does your lake get?

These boats like smooth water and if you have a lot of chop on your lake, depending on what you're used to in a boat, you might find the ride a lot rougher. Also these things sit LOW in the water. If you load it down with a lot of people or ballast you'll need to be careful not to take on water over the side or front - the closed bow helps a lot with this; ours is open bow.

Hours are still fairly low so if it's been properly maintained I wouldn't think you'll have any major issues. It looks in great shape from the picture. In this era of boat the gauges are known to fail and OEM replacements are obsolete so you may be dealing with some of that. Otherwise, maybe some minor electrical gremlins so check and be sure all the accessories work - blower, bilge, stereo, horn, nav lights, interior lights, dash lights, etc. Basically turn all the switches. If anything doesn't work that could be a bargaining point. Check the running gear and make sure it's in good shape - no prop dings, very little play in the rudder and prop shaft. A lake test is a must - have the guy start it from cold and see how it cranks up. Notice any vibrations when you're on the water.

I'm less informed about prices these days but here are my thoughts: You have several "less desirable" things about this boat that should help bring the price down for you: direct drive, closed bow, no tower, no wedge and maybe no stereo now that I'm looking at it. If its carbureted vs. fuel injected that's another detracting factor. These are not necessarily bad things - just things that decrease demand for this boat and therefore should decrease price. You can check onlyinboards.com and see what they're selling for too. 

Thanks for this info.  The good news is the boat is going through the shop and "will be ready for the water" in a couple days so I can hear it run/check it out.  It's winterized now so wasn't able to check anything electrical related as of yet, but did check for the obvious/usual suspects most of which you have mentioned, but will be sure to re validate based off of your list .  The owner of the boat yard is an older gentleman who I have mutual friends with, he has been in our town my entire life.  He's an honest guy and assured me the boat runs great.   

I've only had a jet boat, and a couple jet skies in the past.  Good friend of mine always gets a new boat every couple years.  Fortunately, I've have had the pleasure of captaining his boats quite frequently.  A few center consoles, and some I/O bow riders.  I'm planning on using the boat for skiing, tubing, wake boarding (light duty stuff) and definitely a lot of floating.  I'll be using the boat on small local lakes, primary.  The closest is only about 5 minutes away from my house, which is the lake the boat has lived on.  I definitely consider this a very calm lake, even on a windy day.  I'll be keep the boat at my house and trailering back and forth.  

I'll head over to onlyinboards.com now to take a look at their pricing.  Thank you very much, I certainly appreciate the response. 

52 minutes ago, asnowman said:

sportster is a pretty fun boat to drive, unfortunately the prices on them in our area are all over the place.  as @drh states, they do not like rough water much, and they sit very low in the water.  nice soft slalom wakes, if it has the wedge its ok to wakeboard behind, but basically a no frills boat, easy to maintain and use.  What are they asking for it?  I had tried to buy one late last fall, wayyy more hours, also a former camp boat, and it had a tower, it sold for under $5k, but needed a full new interior.  There is one near us that has been for sale for 4 years, they are asking 16.5k for it last time I stopped to look at it, and it needs a lot of work, its been outside uncovered all summer for most of that time.

They listed the boat at 7995, I offered 5K (thought this was semi low ball), the owners of the camp had said they'd do it.  KBB indicates "low retail" is 13.5k.  Aside from some sun bleaching and/or mildew , the interior isn't that bad . No rips or tears or anything like that.  I'm fairly confident I can get it cleaned up pretty good with some Miracle Mist or similar.  The hull is near flawless, but will bring back its shine with some polishing compound (or similar).  Think I'm pretty comfortable with the $5K, provided this thing checks out.  I'm sure I'll need to work on it here and there, but thinking I'm in decent shape to pull the trigger.  Cant wait to hear this thing run, always wanted a real hull exhaust too. 

14 minutes ago, mjones603 said:

They listed the boat at 7995, I offered 5K (thought this was semi low ball), the owners of the camp had said they'd do it.  KBB indicates "low retail" is 13.5k.  Aside from some sun bleaching and/or mildew , the interior isn't that bad . No rips or tears or anything like that.  I'm fairly confident I can get it cleaned up pretty good with some Miracle Mist or similar.  The hull is near flawless, but will bring back its shine with some polishing compound (or similar).  Think I'm pretty comfortable with the $5K, provided this thing checks out.  I'm sure I'll need to work on it here and there, but thinking I'm in decent shape to pull the trigger.  Cant wait to hear this thing run, always wanted a real hull exhaust too. 

If you get it as a solid running boat at 5k, you did well. The one i was looking at needed much mire work, and had at least 1200 hours. 

32 minutes ago, asnowman said:

If you get it as a solid running boat at 5k, you did well. The one i was looking at needed much mire work, and had at least 1200 hours. 

Thanks again for the insight, definitely feeling much better moving forward with this project.  I'll report back as things play out.  

2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Which engine does that have?

If I could find a Sporty with a Monsoon near me for $5k, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Any more photos?

We have been on the hunt for a sporty at that price point for 2 years now. mostly i have seen beat up or neglected versions, plus most seem to eb the open bow type, which i have no interest in.

5 minutes ago, asnowman said:

We have been on the hunt for a sporty at that price point for 2 years now. mostly i have seen beat up or neglected versions, plus most seem to eb the open bow type, which i have no interest in.

Just to have a third Malibu or would you part with the LXi? 

21 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Which engine does that have?

If I could find a Sporty with a Monsoon near me for $5k, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

Any more photos?

It has the 310 Vortech with a carburetor 

thats right, monsoon was just the name Malibu used, and still uses.  back then i think it was 325 hp, but fuel injected vs carb.  it was an upcharge of a couple thousand bucks to basically gain 15 hp, so almost nobody ordered it on a sportster.  

Edited by asnowman

Despite not having the Monsoon, mine is the strongest pull out of the water I've ever had from any boat, including a Response LXi. The slalom wake is noticeably narrower than other boats which I think makes it easier for skiing slower speeds and longer lines (beginners). I think you'll really enjoy it.

9 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

20K USd for a 03 Sportster??  Must be a lot of gullible people.

15-20 is typically where i see them listed in good shape.

37 minutes ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Not up here!  You can get a Response for that price.

Looking for twin to this response.... under 15k35316.thumb.jpeg.f117ab2128781c6b0c93afccdf08bf92.jpeg

Edited by asnowman
30 minutes ago, asnowman said:

Looking for twin to this response.... under 15k35316.thumb.jpeg.f117ab2128781c6b0c93afccdf08bf92.jpeg

That's sharp.  Color above the rubrail is so classic.  Wish my boat had that option checked.