Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder free play

I hit a log last weekend and it seems like everything is fine. I checked my rudder and there is a total of around a half inch of total free play (a quarter inch to each side) left and right. Is this amount of free play normal or? 
Thanks!

the boat is a 2018 21 MLX

Probably more critical is to check for any stiffness in the rudder as you swivel it.  The impact would tend to bend the rudder rather than create a loose condition.  I would get an assistant and as you swivel the rudder have then look at each joint to find out where the looseness is coming from, then you can address that (tiller joint, steering wheel play, tilt mechanism, cable joints, etc.) to snug up the system.  Rudder play is a maintenance item as the hours add up simply from general wear on parts so depending on hours and use it may be 'normal' although probably can be reduced with some TLC on the system.