Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

91 Sunsetter shift cable issues

Hello. I’m wondering if anyone has ever dealt with a similar issue and could pass any info along. 

I have a 91 Malibu sunsetter that I get a no start condition after driving. Used to happen once in a while. Now happens almost every time. We will be traveling. Stop. When I go to start back up I turn the key and get nothing. On the transmission and control I am in neutral. In order to get it to start I have to shift in reverse about a 1”-2” then back to neutral and it starts up. (Was pretty frustrating before I found the sweet spot. Especially in wind)

I pulled apart the control and inspected the insides and everything looked fine. The brass fittings looked okay. One is showing some wear but still seemed serviceable. I have had a couple people tell me it’s the neutral safety switch but I am not sure I have one due to the boats age. There are no wires coming from the control. 

My guess  is that it’s not properly adjusted on the control side or that the shift cable has stretched. If anyone has the procedure for adjusting a Mv-2 properly or any other insight I would appreciate it

-PW

So I got my part in the other day. Swapped it out. Thought I was good to go. Was 6 for 6 starting and stopping and firing right up. 

Got back to the dock for a couple hours. Go to fire it back up and turn the key and got nothing. Without moving the shifter. Turned key on and off got nothing again got nothing. Turned key again without changing anything and it fired right up. 

Now I’m wondering if I have a electrical problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Also two years ago I replaced started solenoid and this year new battery. 

Thanks. 

Start by looking for loose connections on the key switch, remote solenoid, and on the starter.  The yellow with red stripe wire is for the starter crank.  Use a volt meter to check for voltage drop or loss of voltage on that circuit or from the battery to the solenoid to the starter.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://cdn.bakesonline.com/media/resourcelibrary/IndmarStarterVoltDropTest.pdf&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjzloilrOvqAhXyOn0KHUiiBboQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw2rmLnpKZrU5cJEzS0k_g4x