Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stuck between boats (A22 vs T23)

DTFox

Hey everyone, I've been a long time lurker that finally registered today. Been using these forums for information for quite awhile and really like the community here.

As the title suggests I'm trying to decide which Axis boat is the right one for me. I've read a few of these threads all over the internet and a few on this forum but some of them are older and it seems like certain features may have changed in recent years so I figured I would start a new thread. We're trying to decide between a 2021 A22, T23, or potentially the A24 but it seems like it might be too much boat for our needs. This will be my wife and I's first boat, we don't have any kids so the boat will primarily be used with friends and extended family. That said I imagine the average group size will be around 6-8 but can easily get to 10-12. The boat will primarily be used at smaller reservoirs around our house which is around 5200ft of elevation but we will occasionally visit Coeur d'alene (ID), Lake Powell, and Bear Lake (ID).

I primarily wakeboard but most of my group exclusively surfs so the better surf wave is the primary concern. At this point we're leaning more towards the T23 for the larger main seating area and similar cost to the A22. One of my concerns with the T23 is the apparently smaller freeboard than the A22 or A24. All of my experience driving boats is with my families 24-28ft Formula's. On the larger lakes like Powell, Mead, or Bear lake we've been in storms that had 6' or larger swells that were tough to navigate in the larger boats and near impossible (from what I've read) in an Axis. While the primary use case is good weather only and trailering within 30 minutes of the house when we take our house boat out at Powell we spend a week or more out on the water and good weather isn't guaranteed. I'm less concerned with boat chop though it's not uncommon for Antelope Creek at Powell to have some seriously nasty rollers.

Along with the above concerns, I'm wondering which engine to go with (guessing the M6Di based on elevation) and what your opinions are on the factory 12" subwoofer in sound pack 3.2? Once we get everything figured out we'll be placing our order in the next month or so.

Sorry for the word wall, and look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, DTFox said:

Hey everyone, I've been a long time lurker that finally registered today. Been using these forums for information for quite awhile and really like the community here.

As the title suggests I'm trying to decide which Axis boat is the right one for me. I've read a few of these threads all over the internet and a few on this forum but some of them are older and it seems like certain features may have changed in recent years so I figured I would start a new thread. We're trying to decide between a 2021 A22, T23, or potentially the A24 but it seems like it might be too much boat for our needs. This will be my wife and I's first boat, we don't have any kids so the boat will primarily be used with friends and extended family. That said I imagine the average group size will be around 6-8 but can easily get to 10-12. The boat will primarily be used at smaller reservoirs around our house which is around 5200ft of elevation but we will occasionally visit Coeur d'alene (ID), Lake Powell, and Bear Lake (ID).

I primarily wakeboard but most of my group exclusively surfs so the better surf wave is the primary concern. At this point we're leaning more towards the T23 for the larger main seating area and similar cost to the A22. One of my concerns with the T23 is the apparently smaller freeboard than the A22 or A24. All of my experience driving boats is with my families 24-28ft Formula's. On the larger lakes like Powell, Mead, or Bear lake we've been in storms that had 6' or larger swells that were tough to navigate in the larger boats and near impossible (from what I've read) in an Axis. While the primary use case is good weather only and trailering within 30 minutes of the house when we take our house boat out at Powell we spend a week or more out on the water and good weather isn't guaranteed. I'm less concerned with boat chop though it's not uncommon for Antelope Creek at Powell to have some seriously nasty rollers.

Along with the above concerns, I'm wondering which engine to go with (guessing the M6Di based on elevation) and what your opinions are on the factory 12" subwoofer in sound pack 3.2? Once we get everything figured out we'll be placing our order in the next month or so.

Sorry for the word wall, and look forward to hearing what you guys think.

Thanks!

I would go t23 or a24 for sure ! Only complaint I have about my t 22 ( is fill ups and handling the larger chop) the difference from a 22 to a 23 or 24 is pretty substantial when it comes to rough water ride . 

plus I don’t know anyone who ever said they wish they had a smaller boat ! 

for the stereo it’s so subjective as to what might be enough for one seems terrible for someone else. I would listen to a floor model and make some decisions off that. The best 1500 I have spent on my boat was for a custom box and sub added to sp2 . Makes a world of difference imo . 

Good luck with the decision and welcome to the forum ! 

Edited by smuurph84

If you wakeboard ... a24 hands down. The a22 wake is better than the t23 wake, and both have great waves. The 23 is def bigger with the cab forward design and being like 1.5ft linger or something. 

m6 is hard to say no to.

Obviously easy for me to sit here and spend someone else’s money but given your situation (elevation, water conditions, crew size, priority of surf wave, etc), the answer is easy...A24 with the M6. If you can swing it (and have room to store it), there is no debate. Plus, you’ll get the refreshed A24 in 2021. Our dealer had a ‘21 A24 at the launch the other day and it’s a beautiful boat. 

Thanks everyone for the info! I've only ever seen a T22 in person, I'm really just going off of the input from my dealer and this forum.

I measured my garage today and I think the A24 would fit but will need to double check. 

I haven't really talked price with my dealer on an A24 but he had mentioned it would be around $10k more than the A22 I had specced which still fits in the budget assuming that's accurate. Guess I won't know until I find out. 

6 hours ago, smuurph84 said:

or the stereo it’s so subjective as to what might be enough for one seems terrible for someone else. I would listen to a floor model and make some decisions off that. The best 1500 I have spent on my boat was for a custom box and sub added to sp2 . Makes a world of difference imo . 

Thanks for the info, that definitely helps. I've added a system to all my previous vehicles so this seems like an obvious upgrade, I'm going back to the dealer this week and will see what's there. So far they haven't been able to keep boats in the showroom long enough for me to try everything out.

Edited by DTFox

10k more based on your priced out A22...I’m assuming that was with the M5Di. You’ll have to add a lot more to that 10k for an A24 with the M6. But I wouldn’t buy the A24 without the M6, given your needs. You will be sooooo happy with an A24/M6. You’ll be happy with the others but...not as much 😏

Edited by formerathlete

Do not buy an Axis without a power wedge. A friend purchased a 2019 with a floating wedge and even with a more aggressive prop at sea level its difficult to get on a plane fully loaded with wedge down. our wakeboard crew ranges from beginner to near pro level and everyone likes a different wedge setting. So do not buy an Axis without a power wedge.

6 hours ago, formerathlete said:

10k more based on your priced out A22...I’m assuming that was with the M5Di. You’ll have to add a lot more to that 10k for an A24 with the M6. But I wouldn’t buy the A24 without the M6, given your needs. You will be sooooo happy with an A24/M6. You’ll be happy with the others but...not as much 😏

Fair point, I'll have to get some better pricing. What's a good price price for an A24 with the M6, $115k?

11 minutes ago, windy1 said:

Do not buy an Axis without a power wedge. A friend purchased a 2019 with a floating wedge and even with a more aggressive prop at sea level its difficult to get on a plane fully loaded with wedge down. our wakeboard crew ranges from beginner to near pro level and everyone likes a different wedge setting. So do not buy an Axis without a power wedge.

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely be ordering a power wedge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 9:23 AM, DTFox said:

Fair point, I'll have to get some better pricing. What's a good price price for an A24 with the M6, $115k?

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely be ordering a power wedge.

$115K is a good price... what are the options it comes with other than the M6... I can tell you if it is close to what we paid for a 2021 A24

4 hours ago, Keef said:

I got advice from a good source that the T23 is a no go.  I won't repeat what he said as to not offend anyone... but go for the A24 for sure... and if not.. the A22.  Much better wave than the T series for some reason.

You are going to need to explain a little bit more on this. Don't worry about offending people. Worry about helping people making informed decisions. We have enough fear mongering going on right now, if you got info. share it. 

Since you mentioned house boating at Powell, I’d look at a24/t23 over a22 for the bigger fuel tanks alone. Maybe someone can confirm if fuel tank sizes have changed for 2021, but here are the fuel tank specs from the 2020 Axis boats in question:

a22 48 gallons

t23 67 gallons

a24 76 gallons. 

Pass on the 22,

The weather at Powell can make the 25LSV feel small.

wind and rollers picked up on 2days of our week trip earlier this year, and the extra freeboard saved our a$$. Same day a orange/black 22 or 23ft  tige took rollers and was under water at the dock.

id say 23ft is the min size boat I’d want for Powell. Or any larger lake/body of water

If you have the room to park or store the larger boat go for it. Nobody complains about the extra room and storage either. The only real downside I see to the larger boat is with kid wakeboarders where it can be difficult to dial a wake at slower speeds.

even though you say you primarily wakeboard, it’s pretty matter of fact this purchase will move you to the Darkside. 

Edited by Stevo
4 hours ago, Stevo said:

Pass on the 22,

The weather at Powell can make the 25LSV feel small.

wind and rollers picked up on 2days of our week trip earlier this year, and the extra freeboard saved our a$$. Same day a orange/black 22 or 23ft  tige took rollers and was under water at the dock.

id say 23ft is the min size boat I’d want for Powell. Or any larger lake/body of water

If you have the room to park or store the larger boat go for it. Nobody complains about the extra room and storage either. The only real downside I see to the larger boat is with kid wakeboarders where it can be difficult to dial a wake at slower speeds.

even though you say you primarily wakeboard, it’s pretty matter of fact this purchase will move you to the Darkside. 

That’s really what I’ve been thinking. Finally got to check out a 2021 A24 in person and I’m definitely sold. That extra freeboard and length sound much better on a rough day at Powell. 

4 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

Since you mentioned house boating at Powell, I’d look at a24/t23 over a22 for the bigger fuel tanks alone. Maybe someone can confirm if fuel tank sizes have changed for 2021, but here are the fuel tank specs from the 2020 Axis boats in question:

a22 48 gallons

t23 67 gallons

a24 76 gallons. 

Thanks for the tip! I wish they had a larger tank in the 22. 

On 7/20/2020 at 8:10 AM, windy1 said:

My opinion would b opposite, had Malibu with power wedge and was sort of a pain to dial in the right position and then had several issues with it getting stuck and not responding to go back up. Now has floating wedge on axis and love it, wake is great and I just pull it up when done!

7 hours ago, CJO78 said:

My opinion would b opposite, had Malibu with power wedge and was sort of a pain to dial in the right position and then had several issues with it getting stuck and not responding to go back up. Now has floating wedge on axis and love it, wake is great and I just pull it up when done!

I’d say the overwhelming number of people here with power wedge don’t have those problems you experienced.

i love the power wedge, it makes for easy adjustments on the fly for the shape and height of my wave, 

when my 10 and 12yr old are surfing we run Lift or ramp, and with adults it’s 1-2-or 3 clicks up from there depending on the size of the crew and experience of the rider