Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Shaft packing adjustment

Hi all, I have a 2007 Response LX with 225 hours on the clock. Our shaft packing has been leaking pretty bad...seems to be between the packing and locking but but I can’t tell if it’s leaking down from the shaft. We bought the wrenches and did 1/4 turn then it wasn’t leaking at all, so we backed it down to maybe 1/10th of a turn and now I can feel some water coming out. When in gear going say 15mph water sprays a little bit as the shaft spins. Does that seem like I have it dialed in correctly? 

Yeah, my 2 cents is maybe tighten it up just a hair more...remember that it is supposed to leak, as the water provides lubrication, but you've probably got plenty.  Instead of leak rate I use heat as my indicator.  Tighten it up until you 1) get a satisfactory leak rate or 2) it starts getting too warm and back it off a bit, whichever comes first.  Easier said than done, but worked for me.

26 minutes ago, formulaben said:

Yeah, my 2 cents is maybe tighten it up just a hair more...remember that it is supposed to leak, as the water provides lubrication, but you've probably got plenty.  Instead of leak rate I use heat as my indicator.  Tighten it up until you 1) get a satisfactory leak rate or 2) it starts getting too warm and back it off a bit, whichever comes first.  Easier said than done, but worked for me.

12 minutes ago, justgary said:

I agree.  And all of the tightening and checking should be done in gear, not in neutral. 

Thanks! I definitely did it on my lift with the engine off. Then would go out and check. Seemed cool to the touch while checking. I may just leave it if you think I’m golden. 

58 minutes ago, vwturboo said:

Thanks! I definitely did it on my lift with the engine off. Then would go out and check. Seemed cool to the touch while checking. I may just leave it if you think I’m golden. 

On a lift it's easy to adjust.  That's how we adjust my dad's all the time.  On a calm day, lift the lift just enough so that the boat won't move forward when you put it in gear, then get to work.  Watch out for surf boats to come rolling by.

I recall the nightmares of the wax pack drip seals.  it was either too loose or too tight, never dialed in.  I installed a PSS dripless seal and it was the best boat upgrade I had ever done.  did it myself,  took about 6 hours.  Highly recommended, especially if your boat is older (like mine) and you plan to keep it for many years.