Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Am I creating an issue or not....

I am reposting this concern of mine from another group.  Prior, people here seemed to think my boat has an issue...but in another group many are saying I don’t. To clarify...we never shut off the boat suddenly after running fast Or under load...I always let the engine temp recover.  The 189 we experienced yesterday was in about 85 degree air temp in shade.  Boat had idled/gone 5mph into the cove for 7 mins...then it was off for 1 hour.  We were in the shade the whole time in the cove. When we restarted the temp started at 160 and quickly went to 189... Boat is 2019 23 LSV 450 PCM Monsoon 80.8 hours now.  We bought it new.

What to do??  We bought our new boat mid February 2020.  I believe that most of our issues are new boat teething issues.  That said...I am going to lose my mind shortly.  I just got it back say on Friday.  About a months ago...we had the 2nd service done...including impeller.  We have had the new impeller about 27 hours now.  

Since the last service at 57 hours ...the engine temp has been off.  I mentioned this here before I think.  I took it back again after that service for a few last items that haven’t been fixed.  They said the engine temp is fine.  I disagree.  Especially after sitting in the water for a bit with the engine off... it shoots up.  Today I was busy once we started the engine after being in the cove and I didn’t sit and watch the gauges..within a minute...the engine temp was 189.  I shut it off and checked the water intake... nothing. First...this is embarrassing.  We had friends with us today.  The last time they came with us the steering completely broke on the boat.  🤦‍♀️ 

So I restarted...and as long as I get the boat moving it is fine.  It shoots up to 170ish when we stop (put in neutral and then head back to get surfer) after being going for awhile like when the surfer falls.   Then it kicks in again and cools itself down again.  But it isn’t ever as cool as it was pre impeller switch.  Boat has 80 hours now.  

Here’s my concern...I had the service a month ago..drug the boat all the way back and left it again for this issue and the issue seems worse.  We leave a week from today for a boat centered vacation.  I told the dealer I’m bringing it again on Tuesday when they open.  This just seems unfair.  I won’t have time to test it on the water now.  I am doing my best...  this is our first boat.  The impeller cover seems fine.  How am I going to know if my boat will just work for the week we are gone??  Also..I guess we are what 20 hours from the next service?  We will hopefully pass that time on vacation.  Would you service it again so early???

I love our dealer but it is and hour each way...and if I wasn’t a stay at home mom...I would have like half the hours on our boat.  We just wouldn’t have time to drive it every week for a check!  Rant over!  And how to address this??

This also had me a bit worried after I bought my boat until it was explained to me. 

Assuming that your motor is closed cooled system, there is no problem. When the engine is running, water moves through the heat exchanger to cool the engine coolant. When the engine is shut off, there isn't any water moving through the heat exchanger and the engine temperature goes up. Once you start it back up, the temp should drop. 

Edited by Kojak
52 minutes ago, Learn2surf said:

I am reposting this concern of mine from another group.  Prior, people here seemed to think my boat has an issue...but in another group many are saying I don’t. To clarify...we never shut off the boat suddenly after running fast Or under load...I always let the engine temp recover.  The 189 we experienced yesterday was in about 85 degree air temp in shade.  Boat had idled/gone 5mph into the cove for 7 mins...then it was off for 1 hour.  We were in the shade the whole time in the cove. When we restarted the temp started at 160 and quickly went to 189... Boat is 2019 23 LSV 450 PCM Monsoon 80.8 hours now.  We bought it new.

What to do??  We bought our new boat mid February 2020.  I believe that most of our issues are new boat teething issues.  That said...I am going to lose my mind shortly.  I just got it back say on Friday.  About a months ago...we had the 2nd service done...including impeller.  We have had the new impeller about 27 hours now.  

Since the last service at 57 hours ...the engine temp has been off.  I mentioned this here before I think.  I took it back again after that service for a few last items that haven’t been fixed.  They said the engine temp is fine.  I disagree.  Especially after sitting in the water for a bit with the engine off... it shoots up.  Today I was busy once we started the engine after being in the cove and I didn’t sit and watch the gauges..within a minute...the engine temp was 189.  I shut it off and checked the water intake... nothing. First...this is embarrassing.  We had friends with us today.  The last time they came with us the steering completely broke on the boat.  🤦‍♀️ 

So I restarted...and as long as I get the boat moving it is fine.  It shoots up to 170ish when we stop (put in neutral and then head back to get surfer) after being going for awhile like when the surfer falls.   Then it kicks in again and cools itself down again.  But it isn’t ever as cool as it was pre impeller switch.  Boat has 80 hours now.  

Here’s my concern...I had the service a month ago..drug the boat all the way back and left it again for this issue and the issue seems worse.  We leave a week from today for a boat centered vacation.  I told the dealer I’m bringing it again on Tuesday when they open.  This just seems unfair.  I won’t have time to test it on the water now.  I am doing my best...  this is our first boat.  The impeller cover seems fine.  How am I going to know if my boat will just work for the week we are gone??  Also..I guess we are what 20 hours from the next service?  We will hopefully pass that time on vacation.  Would you service it again so early???

I love our dealer but it is and hour each way...and if I wasn’t a stay at home mom...I would have like half the hours on our boat.  We just wouldn’t have time to drive it every week for a check!  Rant over!  And how to address this??

For the marine cooling system air temp doesn't matter all that much, what is the lake temp you are running in?

Temp going up after you turn it off sounds like normal engine heat soak.  Do a few internet searches on heat soak and you should see lots of info and ease your mind.  Totally normal, doesn't hurt the motor, nothing to worry about.   If I remember right you have the PCM409 motor, correct?  And I think (someone else with that motor should validate) that motor is not closed cooled, just raw water, that water is going to sit and absorb the heat from your motor.

Sounds like you haven't had your boat overheat, the thermostat is doing it's job and opening up when the motor warms up. As long as the motor (when running)always brings the temp back down when it goes up then the system is working.  The temp is going to bounce around a bit while the thermostat does its job.  Maybe your thermostat is a little slow or something but it sounds like it is working as designed.

Have you had any overheat warnings on the dash?  What happens if you idle or drive slow for 10-15min? Does the temp keep going up or does it stop rising?

Certainly understand the concern, I always think about the little things before a big lake vacation.

2 minutes ago, gregtay said:

For the marine cooling system air temp doesn't matter all that much, what is the lake temp you are running in?

Temp going up after you turn it off sounds like normal engine heat soak.  Do a few internet searches on heat soak and you should see lots of info and ease your mind.  Totally normal, doesn't hurt the motor, nothing to worry about.   If I remember right you have the PCM409 motor, correct?  And I think (someone else with that motor should validate) that motor is not closed cooled, just raw water, that water is going to sit and absorb the heat from your motor.

Sounds like you haven't had your boat overheat, the thermostat is doing it's job and opening up when the motor warms up. As long as the motor (when running)always brings the temp back down when it goes up then the system is working.  The temp is going to bounce around a bit while the thermostat does its job.  Maybe your thermostat is a little slow or something but it sounds like it is working as designed.

Have you had any overheat warnings on the dash?  What happens if you idle or drive slow for 10-15min? Does the temp keep going up or does it stop rising?

Certainly understand the concern, I always think about the little things before a big lake vacation.

We have the monsoon 450.  The lake temp was 82.  No overheat warnings.  I will try again and let it keep going high today and see where it stops.  What’s weird is my friend with the same engine says his never exceeds 164 which is where my used to stay.  Same lake.   If it had always done this...I wouldn’t worry...but it was between 160-164 like clockwork for the first 57 hours. 

55 minutes ago, Kojak said:

This also had me a bit worried after I bought my boat until it was explained to me. 

Assuming that your motor is closed cooled system, there is no problem. When the engine is running, water moves through the heat exchanger to cool the engine coolant. When the engine is shut off, there isn't any water moving through the heat exchanger and the engine temperature goes up. Once you start it back up, the temp should drop. 

Yup, same thing happens on a car or water cooled motorcycle.  Temp shoots up once the recirc pump is not spinning and the radiator/heat exchanger is not getting cool air/water.  Perfectly normal

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Yup, same thing happens on a car or water cooled motorcycle.  Temp shoots up once the recirc pump is not spinning and the radiator/heat exchanger is not getting cool air/water.  Perfectly normal

I don't think he's saying it gets hot when he turns off the engine, it gets hot when he idles.  Is this correct, @Learn2surf?

If the temperature performance changed with the impeller change, I think the impeller plate is sucking air or they used the wrong impeller (not likely).  This isn't usually a problem at higher RPM because the volume of water that the pump can move is more than the engine needs, but at low RPM the air is enough to starve the engine of cooling capacity.

47 minutes ago, justgary said:

I don't think he's saying it gets hot when he turns off the engine, it gets hot when he idles.  Is this correct, @Learn2surf?

If the temperature performance changed with the impeller change, I think the impeller plate is sucking air or they used the wrong impeller (not likely).  This isn't usually a problem at higher RPM because the volume of water that the pump can move is more than the engine needs, but at low RPM the air is enough to starve the engine of cooling capacity.

Yes...exactly.  It mostly gets hotter when idling...  it is slightly hotter in general than it was with our first impeller..but the spikes are at idle..or close to idle. I am wondering if it is sucking air too.  I’m going to try to stick around while the mess with it when I take it in.  Maybe I’m not explaining myself well.

So today we replicated the situation..except it is sunnier and hotter...and when I restarted the boat the temp peaked at 166.  I’ll try once more today. Just for fun.