Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Solar Battery Charger

Stoofpilot

Has anyone had any success with using one of those new solar panels to charge the number 1 battery while anchored out on the lake listening to the stereo. I have an 2011 VLX that do to my poor battery management has run the batteries down. Through this Forum I have a better understanding as to how my Selector works. Nor though that I had was possibly using one of those solar chargers attached to Battery 1 when I am anchored out Playing my stereo.

would this work?

Thanks

I have a fair amount of experience with solar in marine and residential applications, I can say right off the top of my head that unless you’re getting a very large setup you won’t harness enough power from the sun to make any appreciable change to the battery charge if you plan to use it while out at anchor. It will help a very tiny amount. At best you would be able to mount a 100 watt panel on at 12v would output 8 amps in ideal conditions - but this would be big/bulky. 

Those chargers aren’t designed to sustain a system while using it; they’re designed to trickle charge the batteries while at the dock.

Ryan 

On the back of an envelope:

Assume about 500 watts per square meter of panel as a useful value on a bright summer day at mid latitudes (with the panel pointed at the sun).  That's roughly 50 watts per square foot, so maybe 3.3 amps into the battery per square foot of panel.  Best case. 

On 7/18/2020 at 12:49 PM, Stoofpilot said:

Has anyone had any success with using one of those new solar panels to charge the number 1 battery while anchored out on the lake listening to the stereo. I have an 2011 VLX that do to my poor battery management has run the batteries down. Through this Forum I have a better understanding as to how my Selector works. Nor though that I had was possibly using one of those solar chargers attached to Battery 1 when I am anchored out Playing my stereo.

would this work?

Thanks

Long story short: you either fried your old battery (did you get it below 11.0 volts?  If you did it may never hold a good charge), or you just simply need more capacity in which case you add another battery to that particular bank (ideally two large 6-volt batteries in series, but two 12-volt batteries in parallel works fine too); leave the starter battery alone and add more capacity to the house bank.

FWIW, I have 2 group 29 batteries on the house bank, and a relatively small cranking battery for the starter bank.  I have 2 JL Audio amps (400 watts for tower, 1000 watts for sub and lounge speakers) and although I'm not "that guy" on the lake with the stupid loud system playing all the time, I do enjoy a good amount of lounge time with tunes.  With the 3rd battery dedicated only to starting, the 2 group 29 "house" batteries handle everything else and I have a hard time getting that bank down below 12 volts despite plenty of lounging...YMMV.

Edited by formulaben