Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 LSA Engine Power Limited

I recently blew an impeller and engine got up to 240-260 while limping back in. Replaced impeller and all seems good but engine will not fully rev out? I cannot recall off hand what the rpms were but it would only top out around 36mph and the supercharger would not spool up fully. Typically I would see 46-49mph. Any ideas? I also looked through all the relays and fuses and replace fuel pump #2 fuse but upon looking further it does not look like there are any wires to where this fuse is plugged in. Is there no 2nd fuel pump? Is the engine in limp mode from previous run? My temp is holding great now at 160-165 since new impeller and all the rubber chunks cleaned out of system. The engine is a 6.2L indmar LSA.

50 minutes ago, TheNatural said:

I recently blew an impeller and engine got up to 240-260 while limping back in. Replaced impeller and all seems good but engine will not fully rev out? I cannot recall off hand what the rpms were but it would only top out around 36mph and the supercharger would not spool up fully. Typically I would see 46-49mph. Any ideas? I also looked through all the relays and fuses and replace fuel pump #2 fuse but upon looking further it does not look like there are any wires to where this fuse is plugged in. Is there no 2nd fuel pump? Is the engine in limp mode from previous run? My temp is holding great now at 160-165 since new impeller and all the rubber chunks cleaned out of system. The engine is a 6.2L indmar LSA.

I would start with a compression/leakdown test.  260 is awfully high, especially on a supercharged engine.  Water tends to lose its cooling capacity after its phase change to vapor at around 212 or so.

• Like 2

I just went out and looked at fuses again. My fuel pump #1 fuse was burned up. Does anyone have a photo of what way the relays get inserted into fuse panel and why it has more fuse openings than shown on the diagram on top of the fuse box?

The relays can be inserted either way on this panel? Unfortunately, Indmar diagram in the manual shows a different fuse block all together. It is like they used the manual for the 5.7L and just added 6.2L to everything in there. 🙄

Got relays in. For some reason engine seems like it is rev limited at 3900-4000rpms? It runs great and builds slight boost at WOT but will not spool up and rev out to 6100RPM like it is supposed too. Any ideas? 

Isn't the supercharger belt driven?  I don't see how it wouldn't boost the same at a given rpm unless it is bypassing.  Perhaps it does that on an overheat to keep it from locking up? 

It is belt driven you are correct. If I can get the RPM’s to climb the boost would as well but something is limiting the rpms. The boat is very soft on takeoff and just eases up to 3900-4000 rpm. It used to hit hard with a lot of torque for pulling up. It feels very smooth and linear. No misfires or any other symptoms that may give me any clue as to whats going on?

16 minutes ago, TheNatural said:

No misfires or any other symptoms that may give me any clue as to whats going on?

Low power *is* a symptom.  How did the compression/leakdown test go?

Have not had a chance to perform a leakdown/compression test yet. I will not have my tester for a couple days. It is shipping in the mail.

Did compression test everything is good. Did fuel pump pressure test everything is good. Backed into lake and started up the service engine warning popped onto screen. Shut down and could not figure it out. Just for the heck of it I swapped out the Fuel pump relay with the old one that looked like it was burned up and everything went back to normal operation?! All is now good and engine runs out to 49MPH again. So I am assuming that the relay was bad. I ordered 2 new relays to swap out with the one that looks like it has been burned to see what happens. But at this point I am not going to mess with a good thing and run it.

Check the relay socket for cruddy contacts.  Make sure they grab the male spades tightly.  Then use a dab of grease on them before you insert the relay. 

The wire on back of 87 prong was melted a little. I pulled it out and cleaned up the contact then re-greased with dielectric. Thanks for the heads up though! I read that the Cadillac CTSV this engine is typically in had the same issue with the fuel pump relay prong and it led me to look at the back of the panel.