Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 409 Oil Filter Location

Okay so I am a newb and managed to change the oil on my Monsoon 409 but for the life of me I cannot find the oil filter.  I removed panels, got inside, and followed the diagrams and videos and what should be there isn't there.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I have a 2015 Malibu Wakseter 23LSV.  The diagrams and videos I have seen show where I should easily see the filter, but when I look I see nothing resembling this part.

First time that I changed my oil I spent an embarrassingly long time looking for my oil filter, only to find it right under my nose.  On my 2013 247 with 409, the filter was locate up high in front of the engine, on the starboard side.  I was looking low, but it is up top.  Super easy to access once you identify it.

If you Still have trouble, takes some pics of the engine from different angles and someone on here will be able to I’d it quickly.

Suggestion is to fill new filter with oil and wipe a thin coat of oil on the rubber gasket. Then place a rag under old filter before loosening. I use the cup type of filter wrench that goes over the end of the filter so you can get a ratchet in the best place for leverage. Loosen the filter just enough that it can be turned by hand with out leaking. Remove the cup and ratchet and place a small plastic bag up over the filter so that when you remove the filter the oil doesn’t get every where. Make sure the old gasket isn’t stuck on the filter base. When replacing new filter do not over tighten, they are bummer to get off if too tight. I always put the date and engine hours on the filter along with the service guide. Reset the service oil change. These wake boats are under engine load all the time, the oil after 50 hours looks like truck oil after 5,000 miles. To drain oil I pull the oil pan drain hose thru the T-handle hull drain and drain over night.

I believe my 2015 22 VLX has the same Indimar 409. Filter is at top of engine just behind the rear seat. Indimar uses the short filters, I upgraded to Napa Gold #7045. This filter has the same bypass pressure and is taller so you get more filter media. Stay away from the cheap fram filters