Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 2020 T23

AXISonDCL

Hi all, my family just purchased a 2020 T23, to say we are pumped is an understatement. Personally I have spent more time on here and in the owners manual than I should during work hours. I have a ton of questions but will try and limit it for now. Looking forward to hearing what you all think!

1) What is the one thing you figured out later on in owning your boat you wish you new when you first had it?

2) considering options of getting in and out of the boat and not having people step on the vinyl. The new Malibu’s have that nice flip down feature. I was thinking of putting gator step on the underside of each square on the back bench and then using the far side seat as a step on the entry side. Anyone done this or have other ideas?

3) should it be hard to get the cover over the last corner or do I have it too tight somewhere else? The straps are fully released from the ratchets. 

Again, appreciate the thoughts and look forward to getting into the forum more.

Ryan

• Like 3

yes it can be hard to go over corner but not raising the hang tight cord till over corners should make a difference with ratchets fully open, maybe leave tower base area of cover not fastened?

i would have babied the engine hatch covers even more and maintenanced the piano hinge screws for them from day one

you did read about tilting cushions?

people have done the gator step underneath but make sure you leave thr breathing holes open

would have left rear plug in 24/7, no water ever comes out even going up the levee leaving launch if middle plug was pulled before leaving launch

gator step on the gunnels for same purpose 

you bought a serious wave/wake machine, enjoy!!!!

Pics?????????

would have learned from this site to do sll maintenance except 20 hour, i got way overcharged and was sold new spark plugs snd wires at 100 snd 200 hours 

Edited by granddaddy55
12 hours ago, AXISonDCL said:

Hi all, my family just purchased a 2020 T23, to say we are pumped is an understatement. Personally I have spent more time on here and in the owners manual than I should during work hours. I have a ton of questions but will try and limit it for now. Looking forward to hearing what you all think!

1) What is the one thing you figured out later on in owning your boat you wish you new when you first had it?

2) considering options of getting in and out of the boat and not having people step on the vinyl. The new Malibu’s have that nice flip down feature. I was thinking of putting gator step on the underside of each square on the back bench and then using the far side seat as a step on the entry side. Anyone done this or have other ideas?

3) should it be hard to get the cover over the last corner or do I have it too tight somewhere else? The straps are fully released from the ratchets. 

Again, appreciate the thoughts and look forward to getting into the forum more.

Ryan

1. if my  T22 is similar to  your T23 you need some lead in the bow and as far up front in the port side locker as you can get it. ( from my time on the boards it looks like the 23's like more than what I use) FYI  I used small cheap walmart tool bags  and for 20$ at the local tire shop I was able to buy about 350 lbs of old tire weights and stuff up under the gunnells..)   this both helps with bow rise, surf wave  and rough water ride imo. I don't trailer so this may be an issue for you. but it took me 2 years of owning my boat before I did this. also not sure what sound pack you have but paying for a sub box and amp upgrade right away can vastly improve your lake time music. I waited a year to make my upgrade and looking back I wish I would have done it right away.  I haven't really heard a system with the dsp amps to judge but from reading the boards its underwhelming. 

2. sadly I just use a sham wow or towel but I like your idea, just unsure how stable it would be for older adults. another idea might be to have your throw cushion stored under one of the pop up seats and have it pull double duty  

3. my cover is old so it has a lot of play. I would do in different orders until you figure out the procedure that works best. ( I actually do just the opposite and attach to the tower first then rears , nose , then the sides) 

4. post up some pics and huge congrats! 

• Like 1

1) Learn how to change the oil and winterize the engine.  It'll save you a bunch of money and you'll know it was done right.

2) Those seat savers might work well.  Never tried them myself.  Main thing I do is no shoes in the boat, ever.  I find people are less aggressive with their feet that way.  That said, vinyl does wear, but if you're out having a great summer it's all worth it in the end

3) My guess is the hang tight cord is too tight.  Loosen it a little bit. 

Edited by theloungelife
Added stuffs
2 hours ago, theloungelife said:

winterize the engine.  It'll save you a bunch of money and you'll know it was done right.

Just be aware that if you don't do it right, you are unlikely to be covered by insurance for a cracked block.

17 hours ago, Eagleboy99 said:

Just be aware that if you don't do it right, you are unlikely to be covered by insurance for a cracked block.

Very true.  I would say though that unless you get your boat in before first frost, most dealers won't take care of you either.  At least here in Utah it's not weird to get a frost mid/late sept, when there is a good 4-6 weeks left of boating. 

5 hours ago, theloungelife said:

Very true.  I would say though that unless you get your boat in before first frost, most dealers won't take care of you either.  At least here in Utah it's not weird to get a frost mid/late sept, when there is a good 4-6 weeks left of boating. 

My insurance  covers me for freezig only until Oct 31st.  After that, if ain't winterized, no coverage.  I do recall a couple of years of early cold snaps - down to -9 C.  Yikes!

Thanks for all the feedback!

winterization - Our lake pulls the docks around October and with it the boats all head into storage for the winter so we have always just had the dealer/storage handle winterization in the winter and prep it for the summer. Docks and the pounding our last boat took are all threads for another day! 

ballast - the competing dealer where we tested a moomba mojo had a whole bunch of lead so I might need to covertly buy some bags and start fooling around with the set up. 

seat - with the seatsavers as a back up I got in touch with seadek and they said (of course they did) these flat fenders, which are just seadek material and high density foam will work. Worth a shot if it doubles as a fender. https://www.seadek.com/retail-items/seadek-flat-fenders.html

pics forthcoming when I a) figure out how to get them off my phone and b) get a few better ones.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I put 250 lbs of lead wake up front and that did a great job equalizing the wake. Another 50 lbs is now floating around our house as these are great for quarantine workouts. 

I do have another question:

When we are running at a decent speed, not sure if there is a specific speed but lets just say over 3000 rpm, every once in a while I hear a high pitched metal on metal spinning noise - it sounds almost electric or reminds me of a dentist drill. Does anyone else every hear that/ know what it is?

Thanks!

If it sounds like a bearing whine check the circulation pump pulley on the motor. It’s about dead center of the motor. If it has a wobble get in touch with your dealer. They have had issues with them cracking and failing. It should have 4 bolts and a silver flat washer looking ring around it.