Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Leaking bow ballast fitting - 2010 VLX

JayrnrPorter

Hi all,

I have a slow drip coming from the bottom of the fitting attached to the drain pump on my bow ballast (tank side of the elbow). The dealer suggested I remove, clean, silicone, and reassemble, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it apart without removing the tank. Hoping someone here will have a suggestion! Do these parts just thread into one another, or is it some sort of friction fit?

41AA60FA_FC6F_4753_BD32_3D614733CC95.jpe

5EE9DBD4_0151_4E48_9E09_22C241CE713D.jpe

I am working through similar issues. Yes all those parts are threaded. So disconnect the pump power and take the hose off the pump. Then loosen the screws that hold the tank to the tank mount on the tank. Use a level of some kind to lift up the tank. Then unscrew the pump from the 90 that goes into the tank and with the tank lifted up you should be able to remove the 90 from the tank. 
I repaired (at least for now) my bow fitting with 3M 5200 marine sealant, but silicon should work. I also added a stainless hose clamp around the fitting to give it some more support hoping that prevents future leaks. 
Don’t bother with JB weld or other plastic repair stuff as I tried that and it didn’t last. Was great for 3 trips and then started to fail. 

37 minutes ago, JayrnrPorter said:

Awesome. Thank you. Will give it a try when I'm back to the boat... with a heat gun for that hose!

Best of luck. Confident there are people on here that have done this a different and potentially better way, but should give you some time for now.

My 2011 front vent fitting was leaking bad. I had to remove the tank to fix it properly with silicon. Really was not that difficult to remove.