Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Change Battery Selector

My boat has a battery selector that drives me crazy. boat is a 2011 VLX. Battery selector is Off, On and Both. My poor management results in dead batteries what I an on Lake listening to my stereo with engines off.

Question:

Any electrical issues with me replacing it with a 350 Amp, Off, 1, 2 and Both switch with AFD protection. Then I can start on one, go to two for stereo at lake and charge on both?

Thoughts

Thanks

18 hours ago, Stoofpilot said:

My poor management results in dead batteries what I an on Lake listening to my stereo with engines off.

If you've got the Blue Seas system, then something's definitely wrong, as it is about a foolproof as they get.  As Ronnie said you could have bad batteries, or it is wired incorrectly/bad connection, or you could have a bad ground to the ACR and it's not paralleling the 2 battery banks to charge when the engine is running.

Which position are you using the battery switch, @Stoofpilot?

Edited by formulaben

I charged both batteries and as mentioned in prior post, kept it in position 1 today and played stereo some and had no problem. My guy feeling is that it was my problem of not understanding how selector worked.

thanks everyone.

You should get an isolator with a 2 battery setup. You’ll never have to make a switch selection ever again. It’s the professional way to go. 

The best way to understand how this switch setup works, is to not compare it to the 1/2/BOTH/OFF switch. The Dual Circuit Plus switch has no "1" position or "2" position. After that, its one of the easiest setups to use. Launch the boat, turn switch to "ON". Put boat away, turn switch to "OFF".