Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vault grease on exterior side of Rim.

hawaiianstyln

2008 Boatmate TA trailer.  Recently performed some maintenance on all hubs by removing old grease and adding new Vault Hybrid grease.  I have had zero grease leaks, but bought this boat/trailer in 2016 with a noticed (Lack of) deprived care of the trailer when purchased.  My goal was to make sure this trailer was ready for an 1,800 mile round trip from MI to OK.  Then just got back from a 4.5 hour tow from Southern MI to Northern MI.  One of the rims had grease on the exterior side.  I know I pounded the caps on properly and nice and tight.  I can't tell if grease is coming out of the pressure pop-up vault cap and maybe I just need a new cap or is this coming from some inner bearing seal.  To me it almost looks like it is the pressure pop-up vault cap that is slowly failing.  The grease only starts to come out after about 2 solid hours of driving.  Enough to get the grease less viscous and somehow slip past a seal?  I will be removing the wheel/tire tonight and take a closer look.  I have never messed with bearings/seals but it seems cheap just to get all four done with new vault caps.

IMG_5275.thumb.jpg.08c810c1f5f0b6855d9c5bb85e994875.jpgIMG_5276.thumb.jpg.a54fea955c89243ee7322be94956e183.jpg

You're not supposed to re-use Vault Caps. They are a one-time install, and are SUPPOSEDLY zero maintenance (which is bs). It's also possible that you over-filled them.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

You're not supposed to re-use Vault Caps. They are a one-time install, and are SUPPOSEDLY zero maintenance (which is bs). It's also possible that you over-filled them.

x2  The service kit includes the grease and new caps.  But since it only happens 2 hours in, it is possible that you just put in too much and the normal heat is making them weep due to over pressure - or you put in too little and they are getting over hot.  Are the caps still pushed out - they give when you press on them?

They are definitely 0 maintenance - except every 10 years or so, with periodic inspections to make sure there have been no seal failures

Edited by oldjeep
  • Like 1

oh it is extremely possible I overfilled one of them or specifically that one inadvertently.  I had no idea how much to put in there.  Mine do not have the zerk fitting you can screw in when you remove the cap.  The other 3 are completely fine, and they all pop out as I pounded the caps on so I know they are pressurizing properly.  That vault cap does actually appear to be popped out more than the others..

Mine recently did the same thing, but way more grease, (2015 Boatmate trailer).  Found grease all over wheel coming from backside of wheel.  Took it apart and rear grease seal was leaking.  Replaced seal and bearings,  all good no leaks anymore.

oh and btw, my hubs stay very cool over the periods of those longs hauls.  which makes me feel better, a bit...  I have taken those caps off once before to check then pounded back on.  I had no clue they are a one timer.  that is lame, especially since I have taken all of them off before for inspection and re-pounded back on.  Then tow that trailer that far, 3 out of 4 are rock solid except now what appears I overfilled one of them.

2 minutes ago, Nickj03b said:

Mine recently did the same thing, but way more grease, (2015 Boatmate trailer).  Found grease all over wheel coming from backside of wheel.  Took it apart and rear grease seal was leaking.  Replaced seal and bearings,  all good no leaks anymore.

yah if I had grease on the backside I would think rear seal.  I have also checked to shake/rattle that wheel when jacked up to see if it has remotely any looseness and I have nothing.  Which would mean the bearings/seals are still good?

17 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

oh and btw, my hubs stay very cool over the periods of those longs hauls.  which makes me feel better, a bit...  I have taken those caps off once before to check then pounded back on.  I had no clue they are a one timer.  that is lame, especially since I have taken all of them off before for inspection and re-pounded back on.  Then tow that trailer that far, 3 out of 4 are rock solid except now what appears I overfilled one of them.

You are not supposed to take them off to inspect.  The inspection is basically - is there any grease leaking from the seal on the back of the wheel and is the cap still popped out (can you press it in some).  Then jack it up and make sure it spins quietly with no major play in and out of the hub.

Other than that there isn't much you can see or do to them.  I suspect that the one time use direction is to avoid what happens with any other bearing cap - bearing buddies included.  That removing and reinstalling tends to result in a looser fit each time.

Edited by oldjeep
3 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

You are not supposed to take them off to inspect.  The inspection is basically - is there any grease leaking from the seal on the back of the wheel and is the cap still popped out (can you press it in some).  Then jack it up and make sure it spins quietly with no major play in and out of the hub.

Other than that there isn't much you can see or do to them.  I suspect that the one time use direction is to avoid what happens with any other bearing cap - bearing buddies included.  That removing and reinstalling tends to result in a looser fit each time.

cap is still popped out, no grease on the backside only on the front pressurized cap.  Spins really good with no major play.

5 minutes ago, hawaiianstyln said:

cap is still popped out, no grease on the backside only on the front pressurized cap.  Spins really good with no major play.

I'd personally just clean it off and watch it for a while.  Check the hub temp after your next run.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

I'd personally just clean it off and watch it for a while.  Check the hub temp after your next run.

Same. Sounds like one is just slightly overfilled. Just monitor it and roll on.

• Like 1