Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SV23 vs V25 Hulls - Wake Shape

Vitiello

So I currently have a 2015 A22.  The wake is super clean even at low speeds but it is steeper than what I used to ride regularly.  I can deal with it in some cases but I often find it is just to abrupt for me.  I am 50 now and would really like to go back to a longer ramp type of wake.  My last boats before the Axis were a 2004 Wakesetter VLX and a 1996 Sunsetter LX, both having the SV23 hull.  I am curious how the 2005-2008 VLX's wakes with the V25 hull compare to the SV23's that I was used to.  I've read they SV25 wakeboarding wakes are bigger which is not a problem.  What I'd like to know is how they compare in steepness.  I prefer a long rampy transition.  I found the 2004 VLX to be fine for my taste.  The 1996 Sunsetter might have been a little more mellow due to being direct drive but either of those wakes suited me well. 

I may just have to ride a 2005-2008 to know for sure but if anyone out there has experience with both specifically for the wake shape, please let me know.

• Like 1

With your A22, how do you run the wake?  I would imagine if you pick up the wedge, it would mellow the steepness a bunch.  Also what is your ballast setup?  One thing I've found with my 13' A22, is extra nose weight key.  In addition to the PNP, I run 550 on top of the seats as well.  This being with 650s PNPs full in the rear, wedge down and all the stock ballast full.

Edited by theloungelife
spelling
19 minutes ago, theloungelife said:

With your A22, how do you run the wake?  I would imagine if you pick up the wedge, it would mellow the steepness a bunch.  Also what is your ballast setup?  One thing I've found with my 13' A22, is extra nose weight key.  In addition to the PNP, I run 550 on top of the seats as well.  This being with 650s PNPs full in the rear, wedge down and all the stock ballast full.

I never run the wedge down as it makes it steeper.  I have run it with the stock ballast full, added the bow PNP, just the center tank.  It changes it slightly but still too steep for my taste.  I have run it with no ballast and played with line length and speeds.  I just can't get it how I prefer.  I run about 22 - 22.4 with 65 ft rope.   I realize that for most people, it would be fine as its not super steep like the old Super Air Nautiques, or probably some of the other current wakes.  Its more about my shortcomings with abruptness and timing.  I've tried everything and have lived with it since I got it in 2016, but I think I would enjoy going back to what I spent hundreds and hundreds of hours riding.  I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Those are valid points.  It's also worth noting that the older boats had a much more narrow table.  Not sure if that is a good thing or not for you.  Does your local dealer do demo's at all?  Maybe one of the newer wakes might be more to your liking.  I rode a 23MXZ last fall that had a huge wake but was pretty rampy. 

So no one knows how the 2005-2008 VLX wake compares to the 2004 and earlier Wakesetter VLX?  

Edited by Vitiello