Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2000 wakesetter v drive trans, Milky oil

Hey everybody I was out on the lake today and noticed I had milky oil In my trans. What would make this happen? I would like to change the oil out of the trans can someone tell me what type of oil and how much. I would be greatly appreciated. Safe boating everyone!

Edited by aussie1

I figured it was water. I’m just wondering how did it get in there. I did have some water come over the bow. I’m wondering if the v drive have a breather hole?

1 hour ago, aussie1 said:

I figured it was water. I’m just wondering how did it get in there. I did have some water come over the bow. I’m wondering if the v drive have a breather hole?

yes they usually have a breather at the top which causes some water intrusion. I wouldn't stress over it too much, just drain it, maybe flush it, refill and move on.

2 minutes ago, BCA1313 said:

Following because we have a 2001 and want to see what fluid to use for replacement. 

It is pretty clear in the owner's manual:

https://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/indmar_1994_2003.pdf

SAE 30 for the Walters, and Dexron III for the ZF.  Most of the Vdrive units in these years are the Walters.

1 hour ago, aussie1 said:

Though it could come through the breather tube as mentioned, I doubt that is your problem.  Unless you flooded your boat up to the breather tube, how else is it really going to get in there?  I change my fluid out every 2-3 years and it looks brand new every time.

For now, I would suck it out, put new oil in, then suck that out too.  Fill it again, run it a couple of outtings, then check if it is milky again.  If not, change and monitor.  If it is, you probably have a cooling jacket leaking inside the unit and will require a rebuild/replacement.

4 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

SAE 30 for the Walters, and Dexron III for the ZF.  Most of the Vdrive units in these years are the Walters.

Though it could come through the breather tube as mentioned, I doubt that is your problem.  Unless you flooded your boat up to the breather tube, how else is it really going to get in there?  I change my fluid out every 2-3 years and it looks brand new every time.

For now, I would suck it out, put new oil in, then suck that out too.  Fill it again, run it a couple of outtings, then check if it is milky again.  If not, change and monitor.  If it is, you probably have a cooling jacket leaking inside the unit and will require a rebuild/replacement.

If the cooling jacket was leaking, the V-Drive would end up overflowing with milky trans fluid.

10 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Thank you

"If the cooling jacket was leaking, the V-Drive would end up overflowing with milky trans fluid". Easy to check on a Walter. Pull the 6 bolts on the top of the VD and pull the plate exposing the "S" shaped cooling jacket sitting in the top of the VD.

Thanks guys ! I’ll check it out today.I had a 96 Malibu Sunsetter  but the engine set up is way different from the Vlx. Just got the boat a week ago. No owner manuals😩 I am assuming it’s way different to winterize The Vlx from Lx

28 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

If the cooling jacket was leaking, the V-Drive would end up overflowing with milky trans fluid.

Depends on how much it is leaking.  A very slight leak (drip every now and then) wouldn't.  And typically leaks from corrosion start as a very slight leak and go from there.  My troubleshooting also didn't default to this possibility.