Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just bought a original Manta Ray Flying Tube

StevenJ

Any tips on how to get it up before I go out this weekend , and I’m in Sacramento Ca area is there any water around where the sheriffs won’t mess with us using it . 

I am pretty sure they recalled those and took them off the market because of so many people dying or getting seriously injured on them.

In July 2006, 84 injuries were reported and three deaths occurred within a 4 month period. It soon became illegal to use the Manta in most parts of the US and Canada. Other places that still allowed the device would release all liability of injuries caused by using the tube.

what could possibly go wrong??

Yes they did have a recall on them. A friend of mine had one back when they first came out and I rode it then but then there were a lot of injuries and deaths because if it flips upside down you cant get out of it and hit the water hard.  You had to cut the rope tow point attachment off and send it to the company and they would send you a full refund.  Just be careful with it. It's not really worth hanging on to just to be cool.

I came across it on Craigslist yesterday , I just want to use it a few times with my buddies lol . It seems pretty gnarly but looks like a good time . How do I post pictures on here ?

1 minute ago, StevenJ said:

I came across it on Craigslist yesterday , I just want to use it a few times with my buddies lol . It seems pretty gnarly but looks like a good time . How do I post pictures on here ?

Join the site or post pics to Imgur, ImgBB etc.

You can kill yourself in a myriad of ways with your everyday routine if you put forth a little effort, it doesn't take a kite tube to do that.

I rode one back when they first came out, we had it up and down our lake for hours.  It was a blast, a pretty amazing feeling to fly along 10-15ft above the water for a hundred yards or so.  We were reasonable, not stupid with it (and not completely drunk).  Be aware of the wind, throttle down slowly if the rider is more than 15 feet off the water, wear a CGA vest, etc.  My buddies uncle cut it up when he found out about the deaths, and sent in the main tag from it for a full refund.  I would ride again in a second with the right crew.  It was the kit tube in the vid though, not the manta ray.

• Like 2