Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Runs, No Screen

2018 Malibu 21 MLX

Both batteries at 13.6V

Boat will start with key regardless of power button state. 

Kill switch works as it should.

Checked all fuses and relays on top of the motor as well as breakers on port side. 

No breakers popped at helm.

I have two completely blank screens so no way to start with the code, fill bags, power up stereo etc.

In normal operation I hit the power button, hear what sounds like possibly the fuel injection kick on for 2-3 seconds and then that’s it. No blowers, no screen, NOTHING!!

Also checked the Grey cable coming from the 7” screen but it appears intact. 

Please help!! Trying to get out today. 

Some background....several instances of screen freezing over the past few months (attributed to low voltage), one instance of not being able to power off the boat with the power switch (checked by dealer and found to be functional), and several instances of the middle tank not filling the first 3-10 times I try (repaired 3 times and seems to be working now. 

What am I missing?!?!

Update: After driving around the lake for approximately 15 minutes, the screen miraculously came on....while the power button was off (but the key was on). 

Turned the power button on and turned the key off and everything was back to normal. 

I had tried leaving the boat running for 30 minutes at the dock earlier today but that did not fix the issue like driving around did...

There is a ghost in this boat but I can’t find it!!

4 hours ago, 18vlxguy said:

My battery switch was faulty on my boat

Doesn't explain why it would still start with the key but worth a look anyway

Not sure how I would check it but I would assume it’s good as the boat starts with the key like you said. Any suggestions?

2 hours ago, csleaver said:

You may want to try some new CAT6 cables from the controller to the screens.

I only saw the one going from the 7” screen up into the abyss to the larger screen. Is there more than one? It kinda sucks that the problem fixed itself. Now no telling when it will want to show back up. 

I thought that in 2018 Malibu started using a separate Viper2 screen controller for the upper and lower touch screens instead of the Viper2 being integrated into the lower screen like the 2015-2017 boats did.  I could be mistaken.

• Like 2

I lost power while cruising and had to be towed in.  Couldn't start it manually.  It needed a new power button.  One week later the 7" Viper screen went out but the boat still worked.  Had to replace that screen and all works now.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MikeAffleck said:

I lost power while cruising and had to be towed in.  Couldn't start it manually.  It needed a new power button.  One week later the 7" Viper screen went out but the boat still worked.  Had to replace that screen and all works now.

I’m really hoping the dealer replaces the screen. I have had random issues all summer and now this. Their argument is that they have to be sure that it’s the screen before they replace it or Malibu won’t compensate them. Unfortunately the issues are so intermittent that they are hard to reproduce. I have taken videos every time though for proof. 

6 hours ago, MikeAffleck said:

That seems to be the fix for a lot of people. Just have to get the dealer to get on board with that solution. 

Mine was out of warranty so its a rough one at 2K but I have heard of a lot of people having MTC problems.  Buy a new one and you get a whopping 30 day warranty.  Yikes.  Anyway, if you are under warranty you would be wise to get them to do a new one.  Right now they are out of stock and you may not get one for a few weeks anyway.  Good luck.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, TexasTurner said:

up into the abyss...

Problems that are miraculously fixed by driving around are very likely due to a bad electrical connection.  Your "abyss" is not that large, so grab a few tools and a flashlight, lay on your back, and find the "ghost."  Every connection should be clean and tight.

A question for those who know the difference: do they use standard RJ45 connectors for the network cables, or has someone at the factory figured out that those are lousy for extreme environments?  

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, justgary said:

Problems that are miraculously fixed by driving around are very likely due to a bad electrical connection.  Your "abyss" is not that large, so grab a few tools and a flashlight, lay on your back, and find the "ghost."  Every connection should be clean and tight.

A question for those who know the difference: do they use standard RJ45 connectors for the network cables, or has someone at the factory figured out that those are lousy for extreme environments?  

The 2020 Malibu boats have deutch, amphenol, or molex locking connectors for all of the connectors on the screens, but 2015-2019 also used CAT6 cables like you would see on a regular computer network or DSL modem.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The 2020 Malibu boats have deutch, amphenol, or molex locking connectors for all of the connectors on the screens, but 2015-2019 also used CAT6 cables like you would see on a regular computer network or DSL modem.

Thanks.  I'm not surprised that they have issues, since those connectors were never made for high humidity or high vibration environments.

If your dash gets to hot, your screens will not work. Just like any other computer on the planet. Keep it covered or out of direct sunlight. If it happens again put your hand on the dash and see how hot it is. If it's scorching put a towel over it. I'm investing in window tint in the off season. This has happened to me a few times.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, MikeAffleck said:

Mine was out of warranty so its a rough one at 2K but I have heard of a lot of people having MTC problems.  Buy a new one and you get a whopping 30 day warranty.  Yikes.  Anyway, if you are under warranty you would be wise to get them to do a new one.  Right now they are out of stock and you may not get one for a few weeks anyway.  Good luck.

You get a warranty from Medallion past the 30 days. Your dealer should know this.

1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

You get a warranty from Medallion past the 30 days. Your dealer should know this.

From Bakes.  "Electronic component warranty will be reviewed case-by-case by Malibu within a thirty (30) day period from the date of sale. Instances of faulty installation causing malfunction or damage to the component will not be covered under warranty."  Confusing?

On 7/14/2020 at 6:32 AM, Skunk6 said:

If your dash gets to hot, your screens will not work. Just like any other computer on the planet. Keep it covered or out of direct sunlight. If it happens again put your hand on the dash and see how hot it is. If it's scorching put a towel over it. I'm investing in window tint in the off season. This has happened to me a few times.

It is under a covered dock and my windows are tinted. Thanks for the information though!

21 hours ago, TexasTurner said:

They are replacing the Viper Module to start with to see if that fixes the issue. 

Technician disconnected all wiring under the dash, de-pinned, inspected, and re-pinned connectors, checked all fuses and relays and more. It is not a wiring issue, it is not a battery, battery switch, or power button issue. They are pretty sure it is the viper module since I am getting power to the ECM but not the displays or even the backlight to the manual control knob. Apparently the ECM and screens run off different parts of the Viper Module so they think one part of it went bad internally. Technician had it working intermittently and the screens came on today but they couldn’t promise it wouldn’t happen again until the Viper Module was replaced (under warranty).

Hope this helps someone in the future. 

Viper Module replaced today. Old one had a broken seal and the box was allowing moisture into the box and onto the circuit board. All fixed now. Thanks for everyone’s help!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

And now it’s doing the same thing again after only one outing with the new Viper Module. Going to try some new CAT-6 cables and see if that fixes the issue. 

1 hour ago, Tex10 said:

Similar issue.  Screen freezes.  Touch pad does not work.  Turn main power on and off a few times.  Then every thing works for a while.

I had the same thing happen Cpl weeks ago. Everything froze but boat still worked and the audible alarm for the GPS still worked but the screen was frozen. The stereo quit working too. Quick power down and batteries switched off and back on and I've has no issues since.