Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Just Committed to buy an 88 sunsetter

Gotfuel

Hi guys.  100% new to boats. I just committed to buy a 88 sunsetter.  The boat is very clean for an 88.  It’s located in portage lakes (Akron) ohio.   About the only thing I know to look for is the stringers.  I was told by the owner the stringers are all fiberglass, and there really isn’t anything to rot.  Is that correct?  I just read an old restoration project on the site for an 87, and he started the project because it had rotted stringers.   I’ve requested one longer 30 minute ride today or tomorrow.   Any advice, suggestions before I seal the deal would be much appreciated.  I’m sure I’ll be on the site non stop, asking questions, and contributing where I can.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4sGvR1fchgfDeGYA   Pics of the boat.  

Owner lied to you - that boat has wood stringers.  I can't recall the exact year each model went to all fiberglass, but it was the early 90's.  

Personally, I wouldn't buy any wood stringer boat.  The price difference between that and a couple year newer, all glass boat will be very little and you will get any of that extra money spent back at resale time.

45 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Personally, I wouldn't buy any wood stringer boat.  The price difference between that and a couple year newer, all glass boat will be very little and you will get any of that extra money spent back at resale time.

^^^ this, unless you are emotionally connected to the boat, which it doesn’t sound like you are. Even if the wood is sound now, the cost/difficulty to fix when it does rot isn’t worth it.

Edited by braindamage
1 hour ago, braindamage said:

^^^ this, unless you are emotionally connected to the boat, which it doesn’t sound like you are. Even if the wood is sound now, the cost/difficulty to fix when it does rot isn’t worth it.

Well crap.  That sucks.  Appreciate the advice guys.  My family is gonna be bummed out

I'll offer the counterpoint.  What is the price?  If it hasn't rotted by now I don't see it rotting by tomorrow (it won't just go bad overnight).  If you want to go boating now, in most parts of the country, used boats are scarce.  So, for me, it would all depend on price, what your other options are, and how important it is for you to get out on the water now.  (I'd obviously prefer a boat without wood stringers for the reasons stated above).   Understand that if it does start to rot, it probably won't be worth fixing unless you really just like taking on a project like that.  

• Like 4
1 minute ago, jjackkrash said:

I'll offer the counterpoint.  What is the price?  If it hasn't rotted by now I don't see it rotting by tomorrow (it won't just go bad overnight).  If you want to go boating now, in most parts of the country, used boats are scarce.  So, for me, it would all depend on price, what your other options are, and how important it is for you to get out on the water now.  (I'd obviously prefer a boat without wood stringers for the reasons stated above).   Understand that if it does start to rot, it probably won't be worth fixing unless you really just like taking on a project like that.  

11k, which is an ok price based on my internet searching.  Being 100% new to boating, it’s mid season for ohio.  My brother went through a stringer replacement on his 85 scarab 1 20 years ago and that bill he had still haunts my mind.   Boats are expensive toys, I’m not going into this blinders on, but if I can at least reduce as many failure points, I will.

I’ve bought most of my cars from forums with owners that are passionate about their toys.  I need to apply that thinking to my boat purchase.   I guess I kinda turned this into a wanted post. 

One option is to "rent" it for the summer (buy it now and toss it on craigslist next spring); you can shop over the winter for a newer boat when deals are better and the market isn't screaming hot and hopefully there is more supply.  

Good luck whatever you decide.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gotfuel said:

11k, which is an ok price based on my internet searching.

Not for a wood stringer boat, that's not a good price.  Very smart to back out.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

Not for a wood stringer boat, that's not a good price.  Very smart to back out.

Thank you guys.  Appreciate the quick and very direct advice 

Just now, jjackkrash said:

The market is crazy right now.  It is just not a good time to buy unless you really need to.  There is very little new or used inventory and with what all is going on and the travel restrictions and difficulties lots and lots of people are looking for boats to get outside and have something fun to do.   If you want a boat now you are going to pay a premium.  

I would have passed on that boat due to the appearance of the engine and bilge area. I believe that you made a wise decision. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

Hey, if you want to have people help double your budget then you are in the right place.   Good luck on your search

Like Dad used to say "Here at TMC we are happy to help you spend your money".  :)

I missed that!  WOW - would be quite the rig!  You should be able to barefoot behind that one.  Like Dad used to say "There's no replacement for displacement"

• Like 2