Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speed Control - 2015 vs 2020 on 22 VLX and LSV

crash1977

Hi,

I had a 2015 22 VLX for the last couple of years. With all ballasts full (including pnp bags in the rear) when I would set the speed control to say 11 - when I would throttle up to get the surfer up the boat would get up to about 10MPH very quickly, surf gate would enable, and then the speed control would take over and "throttle down" as needed... it probably took only 5 seconds or so to get the surfgate to engage.

I recently upgraded to a 2020 22 LSV. With the same setup, it's taking much longer for the speed control to hit 10MPH for the surf gate to open. What happens is when I open up the throttle at around 6-7MPH the speed control takes over and it has a slow climb to 11 mph. This makes the surfer have to stay in the wash much longer before the surf gate deploys.

The 2015 speed control would not engage until very close to the target, where the 2020 is engaging well before the set point.

Is there a setting somewhere to control this? I've tried engaging aggressive throttle but this doesn't make a difference. 

Any help is appreciated! 

It sounds to me like the issue may be the prop size.  If the prop pitch is too large for the way the boat is loaded it can have trouble getting up to the set speed quickly or maintaining that speed accurately.

What engine and prop do you have?

ahopkins22LSV

How are you throttling up? I’d you are hammering it, I’ve found that isn’t the best method to get the boat up to speed while surfing. A slow progressive roll of the throttle is a much better throttle up. I haven’t timed mine but it engages around 8-10 mph and then I continue with a bit more throttle to get to desired surf speed after the gate extends. 

10 hours ago, csleaver said:

It sounds to me like the issue may be the prop size.  If the prop pitch is too large for the way the boat is loaded it can have trouble getting up to the set speed quickly or maintaining that speed accurately.

What engine and prop do you have?

The current boat has the m5di and a High Altitude/Torque 15 x 1425 - 2249.

the old boat had the monsoon 5.7 350hp motor and a torque prop was 15 x 12 - 2419

even if i slowly try to get up to speed the moment I hit 6/7 mph the speed control kicks in and takes forever to get up to 10mph . I’ll have to video the dash when I can to explain .. rain over the Next 48 hours :(

Try it again with minimal crew, the ballast empty, and without the surf gate and see if it does the same thing at the same speed setting.  Also, see if there is a difference when using zero off or paddlewheel.  That is what I usually do to try to narrow down what the issue may be.

2015 22VLX owner here.. I believe Surfgate engages once you hit 5+ mph if im not mistaken.

Can you throttle to your desired speed 10-11 mph, and then just manually engage the surfgate? I found that to be my habit when pulling surfers regardless. It was easier when a rider falls to hit center, and turn around at my own desired speed.

53 minutes ago, dielawn said:

2015 22VLX owner here.. I believe Surfgate engages once you hit 5+ mph if im not mistaken.

Can you throttle to your desired speed 10-11 mph, and then just manually engage the surfgate? I found that to be my habit when pulling surfers regardless. It was easier when a rider falls to hit center, and turn around at my own desired speed.

Yes, I need to try that. The boat has no issue getting to 10+ quickly without the speed control on.  Once engaged it has a very slow ramp from 6/7mph up to the desired speed.

So using paddle wheel instead of GPS allows the boat to get to 10.5-11MPH much quicker, however, the speed control doesn't engage about 50% of the time. When it doesn't engage it shows the speed is set but the throttle doesn't show the green bars where you know it's engaged.

When it does engage it works fine.

Any one know if speed control is finicky on paddle wheel setting?

I have seen issues with the paddle wheel speed control when the paddle wheel isn't fully screwed in, isn't rotating smoothly, or if it isn't facing forward.

I have also seen issues with the zero off speed control if the antenna is not facing forward or if it is partially blocked (like by someone's arm for example).

I found this old thread which explains the same problem I am experiencing... control cuts throttle a lot at about 50% of desired speed