Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Little ballast plan

williemon

I want to add ballast to my 01 Ss vlx over the next couple years for surf and wakeboarding. The issue I have is space. I like my storage compartments In the rear to store the skis and wakeboard. What I have come up with though is to have a flat sack in each rear storage that is no more than 7 to 8 inches high. this will let My skis and wakeboard sit in the storage while the bags are full But they will only add roughly 250 to 300 pounds each side. I do have a wedge as well. I would also have a center ski locker bag that can fill up the entire center locker since I don’t store anything there. Do y’all think that, along with people in the boat can provide enough surf wave to be useable for my amateur recreational crew? I would also have a suck gate as well. I currently have wedge and suck gate but no ballast and my kids surf some using a cwb tsunami surf board. It does ok but is particular. I can’t seem to stay rope less for much more than 30 to 60 seconds. Would a different board help with such small wave and ballast?

Do it right and do it right the first time.  Board and skis belong on the tower.  I can't imagine surfing is any fun with what little wave you are making currently or would make with only a few hundred pounds of ballast.

My setup, which I've posted here a few times:

- 1100's in each locker
- Sack under the port seat, approx 300lbs
- Center locker bag (~500lbs)
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs)
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose, another 200 under the bow filler
- 200lbs lead at the back of the boat as needed; mine are stuffed 100 each side next to the hull behind the interior
- Floating Wedge
- Cheap suck gate

All on reversible pumps - zero exposed ballast

6'3" rider (me), no gear, driver only in the boat

Surfing-3.jpg

On 7/11/2020 at 5:57 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Do it right and do it right the first time.  Board and skis belong on the tower.  I can't imagine surfing is any fun with what little wave you are making currently or would make with only a few hundred pounds of ballast.

My setup, which I've posted here a few times:

- 1100's in each locker
- Sack under the port seat, approx 300lbs
- Center locker bag (~500lbs)
- Under seat bow bag (~300lbs)
- 100lbs lead stuffed in the nose, another 200 under the bow filler
- 200lbs lead at the back of the boat as needed; mine are stuffed 100 each side next to the hull behind the interior
- Floating Wedge
- Cheap suck gate

All on reversible pumps - zero exposed ballast

6'3" rider (me), no gear, driver only in the boat

Surfing-3.jpg

Nitrousbird hit the nail on the head first post, nothing more to add.

Yea, just that I can’t nor won’t add all that. I will get by though, always do. Just thought someone would have thoughts that would be of help with using lighter weight and maintaining space. 

• 5 months later...

Reviving this thread but y’all convinced me that I want to do it right for this summer. I want to go with bags in the rear lockers and one in the ski locker. Will that work well or should I include under seat bow bags? Lake can be wavy often so I fear taking water over the bow when I have passengers. I don’t want to use lead or a port Under-seat bag. Is there a full kit that would have everything I need that I can buy or is it better to build completely custom? Looking for a solid high quality setup with Fast reversible pumps and great independent control. Would I need to use 1100 for the rear Lockers or 750? Looking for great surf and wakeboarding wakes. I have a manual wedge. Figure if I don’t do this now, I never will. 

Edited by williemon
46 minutes ago, williemon said:

Reviving this thread but y’all convinced me that I want to do it right for this summer. I want to go with bags in the rear lockers and one in the ski locker. Will that work well or should I include under seat bow bags? Lake can be wavy often so I fear taking water over the bow when I have passengers. I don’t want to use lead or a port Under-seat bag. Is there a full kit that would have everything I need that I can buy or is it better to build completely custom? Looking for a solid high quality setup with Fast reversible pumps and great independent control. Would I need to use 1100 for the rear Lockers or 750? Looking for great surf and wakeboarding wakes. I have a manual wedge. Figure if I don’t do this now, I never will. 

Call Wakemakers and they can put a kit together exactly as you need.  You will not get huge waves over the bow unless you are not paying attention.  It take some experience driving with all that weight and delta point attached buy you can do it with little time behind the wheel.