Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sub stopped working

Maas

2012 VLX , all of a sudden the sub stopped working, the amps all have power, the sub is turned on, the bass it turned up.  I have a little dial below the right screen for sub db increase, it has power and light yet the sub just is producing no sound at all. 

Any thoughts??

Checked all of that, it's very weird, all rca's are attached, fuses are all good to go, all the amps are powered on, the sub amp is good, power light is on, not in thermal protection.

It just cut out all of a sudden, i'm thinking i'm going to have to pull the speaker to see if somehow something disconnected on the speaker.  Pain in the a** really

You could run an set of wires from the output of the amp to an extra of u have once laying around to see if u get any sound from it. Or, put a multimeter in the output wires of the amp and set to read AC. If u get a power reading, that helps narrow down the possible issues. 

So the amp is going into protect, checked all the wiring everything is good, ground is good, voltage is good, seems as though the sub speaker is bad

It is the Rockford Fosgate M212S4, which is discontinued, any ideas for a good replacement?

If the woofer is disconnected and the amp is still in protect mode, you need to keep digging. Its a good idea to ohm the woofer. 

If it is the woofer, may be a good time to also make sure the enclosure is solid and of proper size. 

“voltage good”

what is the displayed voltage with sound system turned off and engine not running?

Edited by granddaddy55

SO with the sub disconnected it does not go into protect, the sub is at 3.97 Ohms, and when connected to another amp works fine.

SO apparently it's not the sub, connected the same sub to the amp with a new set of wiring, goes into protect.

It only flashed protect when the bass hits, now thinking the problem is the amp.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this on the amp?

I'll check the voltage with system and engine off, but batteries conncted

On 7/16/2020 at 8:17 AM, Maas said:

SO with the sub disconnected it does not go into protect, the sub is at 3.97 Ohms, and when connected to another amp works fine.

SO apparently it's not the sub, connected the same sub to the amp with a new set of wiring, goes into protect.

It only flashed protect when the bass hits, now thinking the problem is the amp.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this on the amp?

I'll check the voltage with system and engine off, but batteries conncted

this happened exactly same on mine and it was the batteries, just because batteries charge doesn't mean they are good 

and what a great opportunity to upgrade the heart if your system, replaced my old 24’s with two new 27’s and boxes for $260, heck of a cheap stereo upgrade

just had to relocate one side of battery cleat on batt one and move the strap on batt one and two, i did have to cut some tab cutouts on the batt boxes for level wire entry

Edited by granddaddy55

I've got two batteries in the system, and they're both working well, i'll measure their voltage and the voltage going to the amp the next time i'm out.

On my dash my voltage is reading 12.4 when engine off and 14.1 when engine on

with just 1 battery, my MC-1 reads 12.4-12.2 with the engine off and 14+ with the engine on.  As long as your not dropping below the 12volt level (and you dont have a corrocsion at the amp causing a voltage drop), i would think you should be ok on that front.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2020 at 12:17 AM, Maas said:

I've got two batteries in the system, and they're both working well, i'll measure their voltage and the voltage going to the amp the next time i'm out.

On my dash my voltage is reading 12.4 when engine off and 14.1 when engine on

Did you find out it was your batteries?

• 10 months later...