Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220

agarabaghi

Is the target market for the M220 the X22 crowd?  We demo'd a X22 yesterday and I was floored by the performance.  I assume the X22 and M220 are priced in the same bracket.

46 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Is the target market for the M220 the X22 crowd?  We demo'd a X22 yesterday and I was floored by the performance.  I assume the X22 and M220 are priced in the same bracket.

Hello. Were you floored by the X22's surf wave performance or it's overall performance?

TY,

Chris

12 minutes ago, Chrismoe said:

Hello. Were you floored by the X22's surf wave performance or it's overall performance?

TY,

Chris

Both.  Floored with wave performance as well as how effortlessly it did it.  I only ask in this thread as it is a solid +$40k over an equivalent 23 LSV.  Makes me think it is priced more along the lines of a M220.  And those rear lounge seats are awesome.  My buddy is moving up from an NXT (doesn't even surf) and I was along for the ride.

46 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

Both.  Floored with wave performance as well as how effortlessly it did it.  I only ask in this thread as it is a solid +$40k over an equivalent 23 LSV.  Makes me think it is priced more along the lines of a M220.  And those rear lounge seats are awesome.  My buddy is moving up from an NXT (doesn't even surf) and I was along for the ride.

It may be the same target market, but not because of the price. The m220 is not $40,000 more than a 23lsv. The m220 will be a lot cheaper than the x22 if that’s the case. 

1 hour ago, cptotr said:

It may be the same target market, but not because of the price. The m220 is not $40,000 more than a 23lsv. The m220 will be a lot cheaper than the x22 if that’s the case. 

But what "is" the price of a new 23LSV????... you could argue as low as a $100k or as high as $200k+.  So hard to say one boat is $xx more than another. I am sure the M220 has an even wilder price swing.

57 minutes ago, gregtay said:

But what "is" the price of a new 23LSV????... you could argue as low as a $100k or as high as $200k+.  So hard to say one boat is $xx more than another. I am sure the M220 has an even wilder price swing.

True. I can only comment on the Malibu vs Malibu using the base MSRP as the comparison. Other than the couple options I know of that the M220 has different than the 23 lsv, there is only a $15,000 price difference between the two. I have no idea if a similarly equipped x22 and 23lsv is actually a +$40k difference. 

I think after looking at the new 23lsv today, it’s catching the master raft in interior quality. It’s like an mxz interior now. Ad to the fact, that it’s a 23’7” now, I don’t think that the master raft is even close for the money. There is a new x22 on our lake, and no body says the wake is stellar. The only thing they got going is those cool transom seats!

Also I have 2 friends who are leaving master raft for a boat that planes out, cruising down the lake for m240’s hope it doesn’t lean😬 I will get to go out on the demo next week.

Edited by surfdude
On 8/29/2020 at 4:12 PM, cptotr said:

True. I can only comment on the Malibu vs Malibu using the base MSRP as the comparison. Other than the couple options I know of that the M220 has different than the 23 lsv, there is only a $15,000 price difference between the two. I have no idea if a similarly equipped x22 and 23lsv is actually a +$40k difference. 

Every market is different.  Quoted from the local MC dealership on a 2021 X22 is 170 - 185.  You can back calculate these:

https://www.lakenormanmarina.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=9363199&p=1&make=malibu boats&s=Year&d=D&fr=xnewinventory

I told my buddy he can get a 23 LSV, which the X22 did out surf, and a pontoon for the price of a X22!

Edited by Five Cent Worth
On 8/30/2020 at 12:00 AM, surfdude said:

Read the new specs, looked at one today. Completely different from my 2020. My dealer says it’s longer.

Your dealer might need a refresher course on reading the specs.  Malibu has it listed as Hull Length 23'/7 M.  23' = 7M not 23' 7".  Easy mistake to make though.

After a full weekend at the lake, I love the surf wave on this boat!   We only had 3 people in the boat but the surf wave was great on both sides.   I personally surf the goofy side.   Didn't have to do anything to dial in the wave it just works.   Wave is very long, lots of push and clean.   Very thick curl on the wave that looks cool from the boat.     You can put the wedge up to 4 without the wave getting dirty looking at all Just keeps getting taller.   I am about 195 lbs and I can easily surf over 20 ft back with little difficult.   

The normal side, amazingly on this boat looks about the same.   My family said that side was great too.   They loved it.   

We had another Malibu boat LSV 23 pull up and ask about our boat.   He wanted to know what it was.   He said the wave when we passed him was unbelievable and it almost looked we were wake boarding without a rope we were so far back.  

I don't wake board much anymore but did make the wave just for looks since people asked.   It looks way too much for me, very clean tall and steep on both sides of the boat!     I am sure others will be able to comment more.    I plan to get back into but will have to figure out how to tone it down a lot before I attempt it.       

Feels a little strange sitting so high out of the water in a Malibu.   Takes a little getting used to for sure.   But it handles choppy water very nice compared to other Malibu's I have ridden it.    Lots of people comment on it for sure.   When you pass people you can see the phones taking pictures.   

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Reveille said:

After a full weekend at the lake, I love the surf wave on this boat!   We only had 3 people in the boat but the surf wave was great on both sides.   I personally surf the goofy side.   Didn't have to do anything to dial in the wave it just works.   Wave is very long, lots of push and clean.   Very thick curl on the wave that looks cool from the boat.     You can put the wedge up to 4 without the wave getting dirty looking at all Just keeps getting taller.   I am about 195 lbs and I can easily surf over 20 ft back with little difficult.   

The normal side, amazingly on this boat looks about the same.   My family said that side was great too.   They loved it.   

We had another Malibu boat LSV 23 pull up and ask about our boat.   He wanted to know what it was.   He said the wave when we passed him was unbelievable and it almost looked we were wake boarding without a rope we were so far back.  

I don't wake board much anymore but did make the wave just for looks since people asked.   It looks way too much for me, very clean tall and steep on both sides of the boat!     I am sure others will be able to comment more.    I plan to get back into but will have to figure out how to tone it down a lot before I attempt it.       

Feels a little strange sitting so high out of the water in a Malibu.   Takes a little getting used to for sure.   But it handles choppy water very nice compared to other Malibu's I have ridden it.    Lots of people comment on it for sure.   When you pass people you can see the phones taking pictures.   

Any idea on what the M220 weighs on the trailer ready to go to the lake?

1 hour ago, gregtay said:

Any idea on what the M220 weighs on the trailer ready to go to the lake?

It is very heavy.   When i bought it the dealer said dry weight of 6,500 to 6,800.   I believe it is around those numbers as the Escalade actually had a hard time pulling it, you could feel the weight when driving.  My lift at the dock won't get it out of the water but it is only a 5000 lb lift I believe.   I am having to get an 8,800lb hydrolift now.  The weight is definitely going to be an issue  for many people.  .   

5 minutes ago, Reveille said:

It is very heavy.   When i bought it the dealer said dry weight of 6,500 to 6,800.   I believe it is around those numbers as the Escalade actually had a hard time pulling it, you could feel the weight when driving.  My lift at the dock won't get it out of the water but it is only a 5000 lb lift I believe.   I am having to get an 8,800lb hydrolift now.  The weight is definitely going to be an issue  for many people.  .   

I have a Boat Floater that I am going to need to upgrade my lift. Apparently you can just add a center tank to a Boat Floater to go from 6600 to 8800. (Numbers are from memory) You should look to see if that is an option. 

59 minutes ago, geogilbert said:

I have a Boat Floater that I am going to need to upgrade my lift. Apparently you can just add a center tank to a Boat Floater to go from 6600 to 8800. (Numbers are from memory) You should look to see if that is an option. 

I think that is what they are going to do.   My slip is rented with the lift and the "dock master"  is having someone come out and see if it the lift can be upgraded as it only has 2 tanks or will I need a whole new lift.   I am sure I am likely well over 7,000 lbs with all my gear in it.  

We got ours in today and Im pumped on this boat. I am actually more excited with the 220 than I was the 240. I will have it on the water here sometime this next week and will report back.

• Like 3

After surfing on this boat for a week I can tell you it creates an amazing surf wave!   You can customize it for any type of surfer.   Even with no ballast at all it still makes a wave that has a curl on it.  Then it just keeps getting bigger and longer.   Today I surfed with 2 people in the boar, surfer and driver and the wave is still incredible.   Lots of push and huge curl with a sharp lip on the wave.   I can't imagine anyone not liking this wave.     I honestly think this will be the new trend with surf boats, deep hull to add more weight and push more water.     If you surf behind one you will feel the difference immediately. 

I will say in response to  those asking about fold-able swim deck effecting the wave.   It does a little and more so on the goofy side as the hardware to lower it is on that side.   It's not a huge thing but the wave is so clean you can clearly see the water from the swim-deck effecting it.   If I was ordering one since I don't know that I will really use the fold down option much so I would likely order it with a non-folding swim deck.   

Someone asked me about the length and I wasn't sure just assumed it was 22 feet long from the name.   However,  I measured it today at the lake and it does appear to be 22 and half feet long.   As for looks it looks big on the water probably because it rides higher out of the water.   One of my good friends has a 2020 LSV 23 and when we tied up together the m220 just looks bigger  even though it is a little shorter it is so much taller kind of towers over the other boat.   Everyone asks you what it is?   

• Like 1