Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220

agarabaghi

Anybody know what the reasoning was for not using the fusion surf gates?  Is it because the boat is shorter or are the traditional surf gates better.  I know this was a big argument last year with the M240.  Everybody had an opinion on the fusion gates being too far forward and possibly not making as good of a wave as it would if they were farther back like the regular surf gates.
I was shocked to hear that you can get this boat with the M5Di in it.  I can't imagine anybody doing that.  I do also like they made this to not only target the high end market.  Curious what the price range is on this boat since it has more options to choose from than any other Malibu boat.

4 hours ago, Hemmy said:

Anybody know what the reasoning was for not using the fusion surf gates?  Is it because the boat is shorter or are the traditional surf gates better.  I know this was a big argument last year with the M240.  Everybody had an opinion on the fusion gates being too far forward and possibly not making as good of a wave as it would if they were farther back like the regular surf gates.
I was shocked to hear that you can get this boat with the M5Di in it.  I can't imagine anybody doing that.  I do also like they made this to not only target the high end market.  Curious what the price range is on this boat since it has more options to choose from than any other Malibu boat.

I'm super intrigued by this boat.  I had the chance a couple weeks ago to get in one at the dealer.  They had it hiding in the back and it sold the day after I was there.  It's massive for it's length.  It's super tall and was on a trailer next to a 2021 23 LSV that I also looked at and it does dwarf the LSV.  I'm interested in the pricing as well.  My guess is that it's north of the 23 MXZ, which I happen to like a lot but have never been behind. That price point would put it in the same filed as the 25 LSV.  

1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I'm super intrigued by this boat.  I had the chance a couple weeks ago to get in one at the dealer.  They had it hiding in the back and it sold the day after I was there.  It's massive for it's length.  It's super tall and was on a trailer next to a 2021 23 LSV that I also looked at and it does dwarf the LSV.  I'm interested in the pricing as well.  My guess is that it's north of the 23 MXZ, which I happen to like a lot but have never been behind. That price point would put it in the same filed as the 25 LSV.  

It's certainly gonna be more than a 23 MXZ.  I would guess 160 - 180 range.  You have the M240 to build pricing off vs building off anything in the LSV & MXZ line up.

Edited by Five Cent Worth
10 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

It's certainly gonna be more than a 23 MXZ.  I would guess 160 - 180 range.  You have the M240 to build pricing off vs building off anything in the LSV & MXZ line up.

I agree that this will be more than the 23 MXZ.  The only difference with using the M240 as comparison is they said you will be able to downgrade this boat.  The M240 doesn't have that ability like the M220 does..  You can put a wakesetter style dash on the M220 or the "M" style dash.  I can't imagine anybody doing or wanting to do it, but you can put an M5Di in the M220 to help bring down the price.  A lot of things you can add or take away based on your budget.  This boat is not geared solely to the high end spenders.   

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, Hemmy said:

I agree that this will be more than the 23 MXZ.  The only difference with using the M240 as comparison is they said you will be able to downgrade this boat.  The M240 doesn't have that ability like the M220 does..  You can put a wakesetter style dash on the M220 or the "M" style dash.  I can't imagine anybody doing or wanting to do it, but you can put an M5Di in the M220 to help bring down the price.  A lot of things you can add or take away based on your budget.  This boat is not geared solely to the high end spenders.   

Which is a great move by Malibu in my opinion! You could option it way down and still probably get the second best wake/wave combo out there for a fraction of the price of its competition.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

Which is a great move by Malibu in my opinion! You could option it way down and still probably get the second best wake/wave combo out there for a fraction of the price of its competition.

That was exactly what I got out of the unveiling and walk through videos.  This boat won't be out of reach for a lot of people like the M240 would be.

• Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
19 minutes ago, bigskydoc said:

You think this will throw a better wave than the 24MXZ/25LSV?

Disclaimer, I haven't been behind the new 25 or 24..... BUT people I know who have been behind the M240 say its leaps and bounds better than the whole line up. This hull and ballast is designed based on the M240 so I don't think it will be a far off stretch to say the M220 will perform better. Maybe not though.

• Like 1

Mirrors my thoughts on the matter, I think it is going to make the decision between the 24MXZ and the M220 pretty tough, as I doubt the pricing will be different enough to matter

Edited by bigskydoc
25 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

I’d say the wake is just fine with the traditional surf gates.

I saw this on the IG today as well.  This wave is huge, long and has lip.....  I would be highly confident that the M's will out surf all the LSV and MXZ models.  

As I have been saying this wave is ridiculously big and we almost sank a Mastercraft 205 today.   We were probably 300-400 ft away surfing when our wave literally went over the side of a mastercraft on the lake wakeboarding.   We saw it and immediately went over and helped them drain the boat.   It was actually a little scary for me but they were all laughing and asking about our boat.   He said he wants to be on a Malibu commerical now testifying about the surf wave.     He says he has never seen anything like it on the lake.  It got to about a couple of inches at one point of completely going under on the left side.   They had to throw everything overboard including the seats.   And the worst part is we were trying to stay away from them because it was just throwing this boat around when we first got there.   

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFfiqnszjY68S3qU7

• Sad 2

If we've actually reached the point where surf waves are going over the broadside of other boats out on the water, we've reached the point where the bans will come, no question.  Were they heavily ballasted?

The dog's expression says it all.

SC 2020-09-05 at 12.32.58 PM.png

Edited by UWSkier
16 hours ago, Reveille said:

As I have been saying this wave is ridiculously big and we almost sank a Mastercraft 205 today.   We were probably 300-400 ft away surfing when our wave literally went over the side of a mastercraft on the lake wakeboarding.   We saw it and immediately went over and helped them drain the boat.   It was actually a little scary for me but they were all laughing and asking about our boat.   He said he wants to be on a Malibu commerical now testifying about the surf wave.     He says he has never seen anything like it on the lake.  It got to about a couple of inches at one point of completely going under on the left side.   They had to throw everything overboard including the seats.   And the worst part is we were trying to stay away from them because it was just throwing this boat around when we first got there.   

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EFfiqnszjY68S3qU7

Crazy - but the MC driver needs to pay attention to the water around them. And that is not letting off on the wave-maker.

18 hours ago, UWSkier said:

If we've actually reached the point where surf waves are going over the broadside of other boats out on the water, we've reached the point where the bans will come, no question.  Were they heavily ballasted?

The dog's expression says it all.

SC 2020-09-05 at 12.32.58 PM.png

I don't think they had any ballast but they had 6 adults in that boat with 2 in the front.    Probably contributed to it.   I was across the lake and didn't see it go over but saw them all throwing water over the side.   We rushed over to help immediately.   You know it's bad when both dogs jump overboard.  LOL

Wow, is that with a completely stock wave?  Agreed that this will be problematic if it's not just a one off occurrence. 

Have there been any similar reports of swamping from the M240?  I can't imagine the M220 can throw a bigger wave, though odd things do happen. 

Thanks for posting those Reveille.  I have to say the M220 is a good looking boat.  I have a 2017 LSV23 which we have been very happy with, but this is intriguing.  I am not sure we would want to go smaller than our current boat, but it sounds like it doesn't feel any smaller.  There is a lot of water coming off the surf gate that is spilling over onto the wave.  I wonder if you were to put a small diverter or shield above the surf gates if that would stop it from spilling over? Great looking waves.  

On 9/4/2020 at 12:25 PM, Hemmy said:

This boat comes standard with the M6 not the M5. It wasn't an option when I priced one out.