Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

M220

agarabaghi

14 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Lots of threads on this, the swim step doesn't effect the surf wave.  If you were running a boat full of people and had the rear ballast where you normally would then you were likely too heavy in the rear.  Yes... we can't always add more weight up front but a touch of a button and you can have less in the rear.  The new 23 doesn't need the back end sacked out for a nice wave.

Hey, just sharing my experience. There was a clearly visible line in the wave running out from the hinge. Only had the boat out for a day, and really only surfed for a few hours, so I couldn't spend a ton of time dialing it in. The sacs in the boat weren't huge, standard 570s. We had 8 people I think.

To contrast that, a friend of mine has a 16' 23LSV. That boat has Wakemakers 750s or 800s or something. Wedge 2, sacked out, loaded with people, no problems. Wave is HUGE. Boat barely hits 11mph with the Raptor 410 and a very low pitch prop (not my boat so I don't tell the owner how to set it up), but gets it done. Fairly certain that's the largest wave I've ridden.

Edited by boardjnky4
Just now, boardjnky4 said:

Hey, just sharing my experience. Only had the boat out for a day, and really only surfed for a few hours. The sacs in the boat weren't huge, standard 570s. We had 8 people I think.

Unless 4 of those people are in the bow then you don't need the bags full.  With 8 people on my boat I run around 50-75% in the back.  Anything more and the nose gets sky happy and the wave is crap. When I don't have people with me (just my wife and kids) we run 200 pounds of led and 75% in the rear and it is perfect.  Here is a photo of my 23 with the swimstep (And yes, I run my gates pretty far under water.. for us it just is the dialed in wave) and you can see the hinge isn't having any effect on the surface of the wave.) PRovided both angles so you could see how the features of the wave line up.  Curious if you are seeing something different on your boat.

GH010658_1595912172073.thumb.JPG.2580bd251b4545407cfbf30dba2b0c38.JPG

GH010092-2.thumb.jpg.90a30c9285795560e7307e00fd046fb1.jpg

18 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Hey, just sharing my experience. There was a clearly visible line in the wave running out from the hinge. Only had the boat out for a day, and really only surfed for a few hours, so I couldn't spend a ton of time dialing it in. The sacs in the boat weren't huge, standard 570s. We had 8 people I think.

I have 130 hrs on mine and I have never seen any disruption in the wave due to the swim step.  

IMG_0566.JPG

Edited by Five Cent Worth
21 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Unless 4 of those people are in the bow then you don't need the bags full.  With 8 people on my boat I run around 50-75% in the back.  Anything more and the nose gets sky happy and the wave is crap. When I don't have people with me (just my wife and kids) we run 200 pounds of led and 75% in the rear and it is perfect.  Here is a photo of my 23 with the swimstep (And yes, I run my gates pretty far under water.. for us it just is the dialed in wave) and you can see the hinge isn't having any effect on the surface of the wave.) PRovided both angles so you could see how the features of the wave line up.  Curious if you are seeing something different on your boat.

GH010658_1595912172073.thumb.JPG.2580bd251b4545407cfbf30dba2b0c38.JPG

GH010092-2.thumb.jpg.90a30c9285795560e7307e00fd046fb1.jpg

I can see the line in the wave in the second pic. Doesn't appear to cause the wash to hit the face of the wave, but it's there and could run down the face of the wave depending on speed/wedge/weight distribution.

line.png

34 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

I can see the line in the wave in the second pic. Doesn't appear to cause the wash to hit the face of the wave, but it's there and could run down the face of the wave depending on speed/wedge/weight distribution.

line.png

Same line... it is coming from the non-deployed surfgate.  The blue arrow/circle is where the hinge is.

Capture.thumb.JPG.7a7440f9a305d60691a5f2c9826577f5.JPG

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, gregtay said:

Same line... it is coming from the non-deployed surfgate.  The blue arrow/circle is where the hinge is.

Capture.thumb.JPG.7a7440f9a305d60691a5f2c9826577f5.JPG

yeah looks like it could be. I know it was there on the one we rode, which again was a 2021. Never noticed it on a 25LSV with that option.

Edited by boardjnky4
2 hours ago, REHinH20 said:

Obviously you guys surf too clear water!!   Get in some murky stuff and that will all "go away"! :Tease3:

Exactly.  In our water, you can't see your feet if your legs are in past your knees.  And that's on a good day!

That's why I never take wake pics on my boat unless we are out of state vacationing on nicer water.  Same wave just looks bigger/better on clear water.

2 hours ago, carguy79ta said:

@gregtay absolutely beautiful water! Where ya at?

That was on Lake Chelan, eastside of the Cascades from Seattle   1500 feet deep, 50 miles long, and pure glacier fed (not warm!) But an amazing place go go play.

Edited by gregtay
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, Reveille said:

I went to Waterski America Friday night and we rode the m220.   We completely filled all ballast.   Ballast pumps are really big and amazingly it only took about 4 minutes to fill.   We had 8 people in the boat and everyone was very comfortable.   The wave was amazing, very tall and long with tons of push.   It was amazingly clean with a huge lip and lots of curl on both sides.   I ride the goofy side myself.   Was easily the biggest and best wave I have ever ridden.   For reference I have only been behind Axis A22, A24, Malibu LSV23, MXZ22, Nautique G23,  and a supra don't remember the exact model. I loved the wave so much that I purchased the boat.   Will take delivery next week after the tower speakers, sub and RGB lights are put in.   I can't wait to get it.  

The inside is very nice.   Has cross stitching and same speaker covers as m240.   Lots of nice little ledges to place phones where they don't get wet.   Storage is very deep since hull is so deep.   Rode nice through some mildly choppy waters.   

That’s a beautiful boat and great wave.  I was out there in my 2020 25lsv (vapor blue and white) on Friday night as well. 
Congrats on a fabulous boat and welcome to the WSA family — they are an impressive bunch!

Edited by G Spot
On 8/20/2020 at 6:57 AM, gregtay said:

The flip down step is the best feature on my boat.  I almost didn't check it but I am SO glad I did.

On the tower, it isn't for everyone.  I store my boat in my garage with an 8' door.  The Gx makes that painless.. and it is also a good 6" lower than a G3.5.  The new G5 can likely now fit under 8' but that wasn't an option last year.  So I ask myself: On my next box would i still check the Gx box if the G5 works and I think the answer is yes. First off... after struggling with lowering different towers over the years I am not really spoiled with the Gx. No dealing with needing bigger shocks when I add something or finicky bolts/pins/handles (yes.. the G3.5 vastly improved on those issues.)  And second... I really like the look of the Gx over the G5.  The G5 just looks a little too anemic especially on bigger boats. 

I know, I have heard that from several people on the swimstep. I also boat on Lake Mead that has about 6 months of warm water, but I still don't regret not getting it. The power tower would be a definite must have if stored in a lowered garage. I have stored my boats in a storage unit with a tall garage, and now it is on a lift at the marina. So far, no need to lower the tower. 

On 8/23/2020 at 9:11 AM, G Spot said:

That’s a beautiful boat and great wave.  I was out there in my 2020 25lsv (vapor blue and white) on Friday night as well. 
Congrats on a fabulous boat and welcome to the WSA family — they are an impressive bunch!

I think we passed you.   There was a vapor blue and white boat right by us he said that is the same color just on white.   I loved the colors.   Mine is vapor blue and black.   I like the white better I think though makes the blue much brighter.   It is almost hard to believe it is the same color when you put it on black vs white.   I have owned an axis A22 for a long time so I have been in the family, just the little brother.  LOL.  

I don't know how to insert picture since it won't take link I created from google photos.   

21 hours ago, Reveille said:

I think we passed you.   There was a vapor blue and white boat right by us he said that is the same color just on white.   I loved the colors.   Mine is vapor blue and black.   I like the white better I think though makes the blue much brighter.   It is almost hard to believe it is the same color when you put it on black vs white.   I have owned an axis A22 for a long time so I have been in the family, just the little brother.  LOL.  

I don't know how to insert picture since it won't take link I created from google photos.   

Yours is vapor blue metallic and ebony (black). Mine is vapor blue (not metallic) and white. Yours looks really sharp and will really pop in the sun. Caught a little video of someone riding and falling as y’all passed. 

B191D94F-566E-4652-823B-047709358587.png

Cool boat! I was out there a couple weekends ago and was checking it out. I sold my 2017 22mxz and am searching for the next boat. I'm undecided which direction to go, but that M220 was nice!

Would love to get a report on the wakeboard wake. I have 2 builds waiting on me to pull the trigger. Another 22 LSV or an M.  Kinda wanna ride the M before I decide which way to go. 

Looking at March build so not in any hurry but getting kinda excited...